Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

ioyungf

The battle between '...Baby One More Time' and 'Toxic'

While '...Baby One More Time' had a massive impact with the generation that grew up with Britney, and is near the top of the most iconic debut singles, every subsequent generation is being introduced to Britney through 'Toxic'.

So is '...Baby One More Time' or 'Toxic' Britney's signature song?

44 minutes ago, Hylia said:

...Baby One More Time. I think Toxic is the better song, but BOMT's video is not only better but just more timeless in general.

Toxic video influenced Bad Blood and LoveGame though (potentially Poker Facenat1  Toxic has 3 iconic looks, BOMT has 1. 

7 hours ago, Hylia said:

...Baby One More Time. I think Toxic is the better song, but BOMT's video is not only better but just more timeless in general.

I would agree that '...Baby One More Time''s video will undoubtedly be her most iconic video but the song is not timeless.  

I have to laugh at this list for ludicrously ranking 'Oops I Did It Again' (A song already dated months after its release) over 'Toxic' or saying that "it speaks to BOMT's staying power that it stands 'heads and shoulders above her the rest of her musical efforts..."

How is this possible when 'Toxic' is her biggest recurrent hit (Other than the music video) in every aspect?  Meaning, that the majority of people would rather listen to 'Toxic' than '...Baby One More Time'. 

Even Britney herself has said multiple times that 'Toxic' is her favorite song from her catalog.

And 'Toxic' has been covered as much, if not more, than '...Baby One More Time'.

It seems that most people think her signature song is '...Baby One More Time'.

What I'll say is this since I think it's a fair assessment:  '...Baby One More Time' is far, far greater a symbol of a generation than 'Toxic' ever was or will be but 'Toxic' will simply outlast '...Baby One More Time'.  BOMT will never compete with 'Toxic's re-currency..

For what it's worth, Chart Masters believes 'Toxic' is her signature song.

"...A few songs perform well, most notably Toxic which ends up being Britney‘s signature song as of now...Toxic has an impressive showing at 134 million streams on Spotify and 331 million [comprehensive] views on YouTube."

http://chartmasters.org/2017/06/cspc-britney-spears-popularity-analysis-new/21/

14 hours ago, SoulNotForSale said:

Baby is her signature!

Although Gimme More is her BEST song!brit12

Is this actually a compliment to Britney though?  All of her peers' signature songs-Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera,  Beyonce, P!nk- have them move away from teen/bubblegum music to adult music.

1 minute ago, zxcvb said:

Is this actually a compliment to Britney though?  All of her peers' signature songs-Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera,  Beyonce, P!nk- have them move away from teen/bubblegum music to adult music.

Of course! She has grown so much from bubblegum music and we witnessed her go through so much since then! brit2

It's also a compliment since its one of the most remembered song from the 90's. and it solidified her as an iconic legend & pop culture trendsetter! oprah11

On 7/22/2017 at 4:24 AM, SoulNotForSale said:

Of course! She has grown so much from bubblegum music and we witnessed her go through so much since then! brit2

It's also a compliment since its one of the most remembered song from the 90's. and it solidified her as an iconic legend & pop culture trendsetter! oprah11

It's not really a compliment because saying BOMT is her signature song means she's a teen bubblegum pop star first.  Saying it's one of the biggest debuts is a compliment but not as her signature song.

Well it's still in jeopardy because 'Toxic' is her biggest recurrent hit and will only increase its lead over 'BOMT'.

Britney didn't even perform '...Baby One More Time' or 'Oops I Did It Again' during her Billboards Medley. 

2 hours ago, zxcvb said:

It's not really a compliment because saying BOMT is her signature song means she's a teen bubblegum pop star first.  Saying it's one of the biggest debuts is a compliment but not as her signature song.

Well it's still in jeopardy because 'Toxic' is her biggest recurrent hit and will only increase its lead over 'BOMT'.

Britney didn't even perform '...Baby One More Time' or 'Oops I Did It Again' during her Billboards Medley. 

I do believe that the receipts talk for themselves and "Toxic" has become more of a signature song for Britney than "BOMT", it has more streams (the music video is catching up FAST to "BOMT"), has more airplay and is still selling (I've seen it a couple of times on the iTunes 200 Pop charts) + as you said, it has been covered far more than "BOMT". So I do believe that "Toxic" has become her signature song, but "BOMT" is "still there", if you know what I mean. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.