Aidan.

LFL's Genres?

but who cares

also omg wiki nazis fighting about edits is one of the most infuriating petty pathetic things in the world 

and I don't see a genre on the wiki anymore so I guess that's their conclusion dead1  

3 minutes ago, Tampon said:

but who cares

also omg wiki nazis fighting about edits is one of the most infuriating petty pathetic things in the world 

and I don't see a genre on the wiki anymore so I guess that's their conclusion dead1  

They're having a discussing about "genre trolling" rip4

There's a composition section that states genres. So I guess that's what has been decided for now

Just now, Aidan. said:

They're having a discussing about "genre trolling" rip4

There's a composition section. So I guess that's what has been decided for now

and they made the page protected so it can't be edited rip4

not "Lust for Life features recurring trap beats, classic rock references, and Del Rey singing with a "hip-hop affectation"" they can't even state a genre dead2 

Genre trolling[edit]

A user is trolling by constantly adding pop, rock, and hip hop under genres, and intentionally misinterpreting the Billboard source. "She revels in the absurdities of her persona, pushing the shtick toward ten out of ten: the classic rock references, the hip-hop affectation, the thinkpiece-bait lyrics, the patience-pushing run time." doesn't equal rock or hip hop. "Pop" is used too broadly in the article to be considered a part of the genre infobox. Can I have other editor input on the current genre? Because this seems too much like WP:OR, and it's ruining the article. --Aleccat 04:13, 22 July 2017 (UTC)

I'm afraid it's not trolling simply because you disagree. Billboard sufficiently states that the album contains "classic rock and hip-hop" songs. Several other trusted sources mentioning "pop" can easily be found. Billboard itself is a trusted source and this is the wording that is desired for describing album content. The hip-hop and rock references are not from that sentence you quoted to discredit the source. Billboard states that the album contains "luxurious classic rock duets" and "rock standards" and that the album contains Lana Del Rey's first "proper hip-hop features." There are many sources supporting the pop label as well (example here: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/lana-del-rey-lust-for-life-album-review-tracklist-features-the-weeknd-aap-rocky-a7852166.html). I've noticed this common trend of Lana Del Rey fans not wanting to include "pop" as a genre for her albums, but it is explicitly stated in sources this time around. Ilovetati91 04:26, 22 July 2017 (UTC)
I'm afraid that makes "pop" the only sourced genre, but do excuse me for removing it, as The Independent was not used as a source for it in the article. The Billboard source only says: "And stringing together sides C and D of this quadruple-vinyl epic, there's Lana's luxurious classic rock duets". That does not equal the album being a classic rock album. Surely individual songs from the album might belong to that genre, but it'd be WP:OR to say the album is a classic rock album. Several sources say the album has a hip hop aesthetic/affectation, does that mean the album is hip hop? No. We can include the album has "proper hip-hop features", but certainly not in genre. That's not how Wikipedia interprets sources at all. --Aleccat 20:39, 22 July 2017 (UTC)
When valid sources refer to various sections of albums as particular genres, Wikipedia assigns the consensus 2-4 for the infobox. In this case, that would be pop, rock, and hip-hop. I'd suggest waiting for the next batch of reviews to confirm this, but that wording is quite explicit. Ilovetati91 20:43, 22 July 2017 (UTC)
Is there a Wikipedia policy for that, because I honestly could not find one. The wording to the listed sources is NOT explicit. I certainly would not be opposed to adding "pop" back, however. Aleccat 20:50, 22 July 2017 (UTC)
That's always what has been done in the past. I don't think pop by itself is comprehensive enough. Let's wait for more reviews/articles. Ilovetati91 21:01, 22 July 2017 (UTC)

Unfortunately, the past LDR albums have not done that. I do agree we should wait for more reviews and sources however. --Aleccat 22:04, 22 July 2017 (UTC)

imagine being them dead1dead1 

6 minutes ago, Tampon said:

and they made the page protected so it can't be edited rip4

not "Lust for Life features recurring trap beats, classic rock references, and Del Rey singing with a "hip-hop affectation"" they can't even state a genre dead2 

imagine being them dead1dead1 

Not them wanting things sourced too dead2

Like the source is listening to the fucking album dead2

Wouldn't really put it in the dream pop sphere at all; there's not that typical "wall of sound" production. UV was the closest she's ever come to that style.

Trip-hop kinda fits some of the first half, but definitely nothing on the second half.

Saying it's trap is kinda reductionist, since actual trap music is really different from the "trap-inspired" stuff she's done. The only song that comes close is Summer Bummer, which was done by an actual hip-hop/trap producer.

It's probably easiest to just describe the album as alternative and call it a day.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Contemporary Christian Music

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.