Jony

Trump to ban trans people from the military

I know I shouldn't have been surprised but the sheer vile nature of that statement made me google it to make sure it was real.  Stupefied and revolted and embarrassed and saddened and disgusted.  The day he is impeached will become a holiday for many, many, many people.

4 hours ago, Mamacita said:

An interesting strategy to distract from other matters, at least. The perfect story, the perfect target, the perfect outrage jj3

The problem with quashing the rights of others just to distract from your own failures is that you set precedent for it for the future.

Dangerous times we're living in. 

Aren't they voting on the healthcare repeal again? And Kushner is having a private hearing for Russian matters? More distractions from that. jj3

Let's keep in mind he can't just pass things by tweeting it. But who's really that surprised that he's pulled something like this? 

I will never understand why there are still people who think this way. Neither gender nor sexuality should matter at all in the military, because each person shares the same loyalty and courage to fight and die for their country. That commitment is all that should matter.

22 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Aren't they voting on the healthcare repeal again? And Kushner is having a private hearing for Russian matters? More distractions from that. jj3

Let's keep in mind he can't just pass things by tweeting it. But who's really that surprised that he's pulled something like this? 

He's the Commander and Chief of the United States Military, he can order any policy that he wants. It isn't a law that effects the general population, it is a directive of the C&C to the Military only. 

You have to remember, he's not banning people who identify as transgendered from serving in the Armed Forces, persay (that would verge on the illegal in some legal opinions), he's banning people who are openly transgendered and who require medical care for which the DOD has to pay for. That's the legal leg that prevents any possible challenges, like with Don't Ask, Don't Tell. 

Even Congress can't challenge it, and it is very unlikely that the Supreme Court will even humor the idea of hearing it.

How fucking disgusting. I cannot stand this man. Can yall believe that in the country deemed as "the land of the free" people still have to fight for equal rights? Get me out of here honestly.

1 hour ago, Mamacita said:

He's the Commander and Chief of the United States Military, he can order any policy that he wants. It isn't a law that effects the general population, it is a directive of the C&C to the Military only. 

You have to remember, he's not banning people who identify as transgendered from serving in the Armed Forces, persay, he's banning people who are openly transgendered and who require medical care for which the DOD has to pay for. That's the legal leg that prevents any possible challenges, like with Don't Ask, Don't Tell. 

Even Congress can't challenge it, and it is very unlikely that the Supreme Court will even humor the idea of hearing it.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up!

It's sad to see. I'm honestly not surprised he went back on his word about backing transgender rights (I guess he will only defend Caitlyn's rights...) Trans people could only serve in the military for little over a year now, right? It's too bad it's been retracted so quickly. 

He's only doing this because Republicans have been bitching about military funding used on trans operations for trans military members. Trump just wants to keep good terms with the spineless Conservatives in DC – I honestly doubt Trumps cares one way or the other about LGBT rights. It's all about keeping his power & friends on his side.

Isn't it disgusting how he's basically making policy changes through Twitter? 

22 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up!

It's sad to see. I'm honestly not surprised he went back on his word about backing transgender rights (I guess he will only defend Caitlyn's rights...) Trans people could only serve in the military for little over a year now, right? It's too bad it's been retracted so quickly. 

He's only doing this because Republicans have been bitching about military funding used on trans operations for trans military members. Trump just wants to keep good terms with the spineless Conservatives in DC – I honestly doubt Trumps cares one way or the other about LGBT rights. It's all about keeping his power & friends on his side.

Isn't it disgusting how he's basically making policy changes through Twitter? 

Well that's obvious what he's doing, Bill Clinton had to do the same thing back in the 1990s to appease Conservative Democrats with Don't Ask, Don't Tell. And I agree with you, at best, I don't think, he himself, is bigoted, but he understands the political capital of it with the right wing. 

The sad part is that internal military policy cannot be challenged in civilian court, and therefore won't even make it to the Supreme Court to be turned away by them. And Congress has no constitutional authority to challenge it. 

The only person who can reverse it is the man who put it into effect rip4

You'd have to rewrite the constitution to change that, and that is not happening on the basis of this. 

They are really going to have to wait until a new President comes into power. There is literally no other option.

7 hours ago, QUINN said:

There are over 15,000 ACTIVE SERVING transgender troops in the military. The fact that he just completely undermined their service and called them a burden to the force is so fucking low. This ban is backwards and foolish and I fucking hate him. 

ikr cry9   love this tweet 

How is he  somehow still acting POTUS when he's done this absolute monstrosity! And other things that are slowly, in my opinion, dragging America backward into dark times. Poor American citizens that do not approve of this. Everyday he seems to get worse... asshole.