Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Royale

'Honey' Listed As A Hit That Changed Music!

giphy.gif

Mariah Carey – Honey

Honey's legacy may not have been immediately obvious, and it definitely wasn't the first of its kind – even for Mariah. But most of those "R&B singer with rap guest verse" tracks that were such a staple of the late nineties and early noughties – and are still doing huge business today – have Honey to thank. Mariah had flirted with rapper collabs before, most notably with ODB on Fantasy, the lead single from her Daydream – but it was the remix of Honey that sent this formula mainstream.

The regular rap-free version of Honey, which featured Puff Daddy on production duties, was a watershed moment on its own, but the Bad Boy remix, featuring Mase and The LOX and with its own video that showed Mariah getting way racier than usual, changed the shape of Mariah's career for ever and made pop and hip-hop's greatest and good wake up to the mutual benefits of cosying up to one another.

x

Just now, Mamacita said:

brit3

I wasn't aware that the Honey Remix was held in such high regard. 

Slay Honeysus! 

Me neither to be completely honest rip4 But I prefer the Honey Remix over the Fantasy Remix so I'm fine with it! sia1 

On 29/07/2017 at 3:33 AM, Taylor said:

Fantasy stans can live with its 8 weeks at #1 tyvm tina1 

Honey is cute though, another iconic hit! clap3 

But which song has more impact? rav2 You better stan though!

R&B singer with rap guest verse" tracks that were such a staple of the late nineties and early noughties – and are still doing huge business today...

Sadly, they're only huge business for pop singers these days. All the R&B singers, particularly female, have been pushed out of the top40.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.