Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Americunt

My Rainbow First Impressions

Five years of waiting and it all comes down to this! I've only listened to Praying and Woman so far. No snippets or any of the other released songs have graced my ears yet. I will be going in order, so follow along if you like! jj2

Bastards

Oh, it's acoustic. Interesting. Not very eventful yet. "Don't let the bastards get you down" was a little predictable as a lyric. Stylistically, this sounds like it could've been a John Denver song or some contemporary of his. I don't really understand using this as an opener. It doesn't feel like there's much rising action going on. The chorus is getting a tad grating. The last minute is the best bit of the song.

Let 'Em Talk

A little more fire! Already better than Bastards and I'm only a few seconds on. Dang, this is a fast song. It's kind of similar subject matter to Bastards, tbh. I like this guitar! She's never done this much rock yelling outside of unreleased stuff like Machine Gun Love. It's a nice track! The old Kesha is definitely not dead. A nice contrast to the other stuff I've heard! 

Woman

Still good! I wish the chorus was a little more developed and the bridge was shorter, but the instrumentation is lovely. Definitely makes sense as the track following Let 'Em Talk. Yeah, very enjoyable.

Hymn

This sounds a bit dated, to be completely honest. It comes off as unfinished or at least, too understated. The lyrics are very Animal-y, but the production doesn't do them justice. I don't hate it, but I guess this is just not the evolution I was expecting or wanting.

3 minutes ago, Americunt said:

Woman

Still good! I wish the chorus was a little more developed and the bridge was shorter, but the instrumentation is lovely. Definitely makes sense as the track following Let 'Em Talk. Yeah, very enjoyable.

#tb to when you said you said you didn't like it! I Remember.zip  💋

Praying

Probably should've opened the album, having now heard Bastards. This sets the tone way better for the rest of the tracks. Maybe the best song lyrically, of the ones I've heard so far. Can't say that for sure without having given all the lyrics a look-through though.

Learn to Let Go

A bit of a different groove to get into with this one! It's not objectionable. I think the chorus is very tightly constructed. There's something that's reminding me of another Kesha song, but I can't figure out which song it is that's nagging at me. My expectations were not that high for this song, but I'm liking it. The bridge is...expected, but still fine! This has the most in-your-face pop production on any of the songs so far, I guess.

Finding You

Hm, the guitar in the intro feels a little at odds with her delivery at times. Oh, this is definitely a Justin Tranter song. Classic elements of his writing and structuring. Feels different for her, but I don't mind it at all. Hell, I'd like a little more of this later in the album. Lyrically, it's a bit like a sequel to Past Lives. Maybe the best track so far? Too soon to say.

Rainbow

Ha, this feels so connected to that place where she was while judging that talent show a couple years ago. It's a tad trope-y, but the production helps give it a little bit of pep and spark that keeps it from being monotonous. I'm kinda predisposed to hate title tracks due to high expectations, but I don't dislike this even a little! I don't know if this same magic is achievable live, just because of how choral and orchestral this song is. A pleasant surprise on the whole.

Hunt You Down

This is straight up old-school country. I just...don't like country music, no matter who's singing. There are just too many country songs that follow this same basic structure of "woman goes crazy after finding out that her SO is unfaithful" and this is no exception. At least it's not shitty bro-country. This is probably not gonna get very many replays from me.

Boogie Feet

Very rock! You can tell this is in the same realm as Let 'Em Talk immediately. This one feels more at odds with where the tracklist was going, though. Maybe Hunt You Down is just throwing me off in general. There are times when she sounds reeeeeally young in this one. I didn't know her voice could go that high over a sustained period these days. Ah, I love this bridge!

Boots

Confluence of like four different genres. A little bit Avicii, almost? I don't know if it works for me. The lyrics are telling a story that's not hugely original. I don't feel like Boots should've been the title of this song. The boots don't feel integral to the story. This song feels like it's just kinda "there", ya know? Just alright, not perfect or horrible.

Old Flames Can't Hold a Candle To You

Dolly's vocals are not well mixed. The balance is all over the place. It's like the mixer couldn't decide whether they wanted this to be a duet or Dolly on background vocals during the parts they're both singing. This is basically produced like a modern country song, though. It's the same realm as the arena-country I vehemently dislike. I also just find the fact that she included it when it was already on Deconstructed (albeit not as a duet and with different backing) a bit annoying, since room could've been made for a better song.

Godzilla

A song called Godzilla and it's practically acoustic. Only Kesha. What the fuck are these lyrics? This is weird as hell. I don't dislike it, all told. It kinda feels like this was just some random thing she wrote and recorded in an hour or two. I question its inclusion on this album, though? Mercifully short, I suppose.

Spaceship

Again, too country for me. Also just too long. I don't care for this ending the album either. The guitar is way more similar to the other country songs than I'd like. Yeah, this is really just not a song for me. Will be seeing lots of skips, along with Hunt You Down and Old Flames. I don't like this ending monologue either, really. It doesn't make sense with the rest of the song and it sounds like it was recorded in the 1920s. dead2 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.