Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Infrared

Forbes : Joanne ushered in the acoustic era

A decade ago, electronic music merged with pop in a very noticeable way, and all of a sudden, radio waves were flooded with the biggest names in music, as well as some very special newcomers, who all pushed dance-pop onto the masses in a very loud way. Singles like Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance” and “Poker Face,” as well as The Black Eyed Peas’ “Boom Boom Pow” were unavoidable, and for years following those smashes, it was all about who could plug in and light up the dance floor.

Now, things have shifted yet again, and even those stars who pioneered the electronic-pop sound in the mid-2000’s are rejecting the style and trying to turn the people onto something else. Their revolutionary new method of making music? Picking up a guitar and strumming away until something clicks.

Popular music goes in cycles, and once a new style or sound has been introduced and does well, it seems like everybody hops onto the trend and tries to make it their own. By the time an idea has been identified and written about extensively, it’s time to look for the next great thing, and most major labels and big-name artists have people on staff that are searching for what might propel their artists to the top of the charts and help them stand out. We are seeing this happen again, and it’s being met with somewhat mixed reviews, at least so far.

Lady Gaga was one of the first artists currently helping usher in this new era with her latest album Joanne, which saw her put down the disco stick and pick up an acoustic guitar, at least for much of the record. The album started at No. 1, and it helped her land the headlining spot at this year’s Super Bowl.

Since then, a number of superstars have decided to stick with full bands and guitars, and some of the most famous have been able to make it work, at least for a little while. Miley Cyrus’ new single “Malibu” takes the listener to the beach with a Modest Mouse, indie rock-styled pop tune, while former One Direction member Harry Styles went one step further and dove headfirst into light glam rock with his first solo album and its lead single “Sign Of The Times.”

The latest star to jump on the bandwagon and ditch all things electronic for guitars and an easier sound is Kesha, who is mounting an incredible return to the mainstream after several years away. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2017/08/16/lady-gaga-miley-kesha-top-40-pop-has-gone-acoustic-but-is-it-going-well/#374a46ed4e7f

wow trendsetter clap3 

Delusional. 

We're not even in an acoustic era, it's not even the second or third most dominating genre right now so how is it a current trend? rip4

27 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

If MR wasn't a that big radio hit in the USA, do you think songs suck as SOTT, Malibu or Praying would be on radio?

Of course, lol. Why not? We've already had tons of acoustic smashes (note, smashes, not hits) in 2014, late 2015 / early 2016, what makes you think the same can't be repeated a short amount of time later? I don't know, these type of articles just seem paid to me, for any artist, not just Gaga. Why make such grand statements if you're not going to do a slight research? Rainbow was already finished by October of 2016, the writing began in 2014. The 1D members are all doing good due to their massive fan base and Malibu is Miley's much anticipated new single, despite the fact that it could have been very well inspired by Gaga's era, that has nothing to do with Malibu being played on the radio, come on rip4 I mean, the only reason why MR did well there is because of the SB anyway. Otherwise, how would you explain Miley's international success? Did gaga's non - existent success there inspire the presence of those songs there too? kylie2 

3 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Delusional. 

We're not even in an acoustic era, it's not even the second or third most dominating genre right now so how is it a current trend? rip4

Of course, lol. Why not? We've already had tons of acoustic smashes (note, smashes, not hits) in 2014, late 2015 / early 2016, what makes you think the same can't be repeated a short amount of time later? I don't know, these type of articles just seem paid to me, for any artist, not just Gaga. Why make such grand statements if you're not going to do a slight research? Rainbow was already finished by October of 2016, the writing began in 2014. The 1D members are all doing good due to their massive fan base and Malibu is Miley's much anticipated new single, despite the fact that it could have been very well inspired by Gaga's era, that has nothing to do with Malibu being played on the radio, come on rip4 I mean, the only reason why MR did well there is because of the SB anyway. Otherwise, how would you explain Miley's international success? Did gaga's non - existent success there inspire the presence of those songs there too? kylie2 

I'm not talking about them getting inspired by Joanne, I was talking about MR setting a radio trend in a way.

16 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Delusional. 

It's ok. Let it out. 

10 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

I'm not talking about them getting inspired by Joanne, I was talking about MR setting a radio trend in a way.

But I don't think that MR did that kylie2 Like I said, the song's success wasn't due to a newly developed fascination for this genre by the GP sparked by Lady Gaga, it was due to the SB and otherwise it would have stayed at 30-40m AI. I don't see a correlation in terms of commercial success here. All of these songs would have found success with or without Gaga. I mean, come on, Thinking Out Loud? Like I'm Gonna Lose You? 7 years? Hello? Love Yourself? Take Me to Church? Hold Back The River? Ed Sheeran's album? chi1 

All of these acts have their own natural star power (except for Kesha, which is a clear result of the post - legal battles fiasco) that lead to their songs being successful. Like I said, why didn't they need Gaga's help internationally if she supposedly helped shed a light on the genre they're investing in in their own homeland? kylie2 It just doesn't make sense and the only conclusion I can make is that it's a paid article.

I mean, this could have been a thread / article about Miley being totally inspired by Joanne and I would have agreed with that assumption, but whoever pushes these articles always has to make sure that Gaga's influence transcends that mere -artists don't work in a vaccum- sentiment in order to prove that Gaga's still somehow setting trends (as in she's making an industrial impact). It's just ridiculous to me.

I don't get why Sign of The Times is mentioned at all. Harry has been doing pop-rock for a while, & he's always made it clear that his work will be in a similar vein. I have 99% certainty that Joanne had no impact on him whatsoever rip4 Not to mention that his fanbase is HUGE and they're greatly responsible for the single's success, not Gaga. 

I do think that she greatly influenced the Cyrus sisters tho! sia1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.