Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Angelus

Madonna day on Pitchfork: 6 Sides of Madonna That Explain Her Genius + Reviews of 4 albums

11 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

Bedtime Stories 6.5? That's why I stopped reading P4K wendy4

Their review sounds so moody. jj4 "Take A Bow" as a higlight and completely ignoring LTTWM and Sanctuary. jj4 

1 minute ago, Saiga said:

Their review sounds so moody. jj4 "Take A Bow" as a higlight and completely ignoring LTTWM and Sanctuary. jj4 

At least they are praising Human Nature and they've called it one of her best songs jj3

Just now, Urbanov said:

At least they are praising Human Nature and they've called it one of her best songs jj3

They didn't even mention Secret. jj4 At least it's something. eve1 

Also can critics stop lying about LAP being better than ROL? thx brit10 

53 minutes ago, Jjang said:

I'm glad we finally have a Pitchfork review for LAP, though. Now all major publications have reviewed it.

Rolling Stone (album guide) 5/5

Spin Alternative (album guide) 5/5

Q 10/10

NME 10/10

AllMusic 10/10

Entertainment Weekly A 

Slant 4.5/5

Pitchfork 9.0/10

We also have 'Pretty Much Amazing',  'A.V Club' and 'The Guardian' praising the hell out of it but providing no score.

It just doesn't get better.

tEyHVUI.gif

"It is a compliment to the artist that only here, over a decade into her career, on her sixth studio album, does she, for the first time, let this listener down. Take “Human Nature” and put in on a golden record, play “Take a Bow” at my funeral, and let the rest of this sleepy album be forgotten; it is, to my ears and memory, Madonna’s first truly inessential moment."

This is all true. Also this means that Erotica is higher than 6.5... @Angelus

"Most infamously, we have Bedtime Story. Like many other former teenagers falling head over heels for Björk’s first solo album, I recall staring incredulously at the B. Guðmundsdóttir credit when it appeared in Madonna’s liner notes. The song itself is unimaginably disappointing—sterile and static, a less-daring second cousin to Violently Happy.” 

wendy4

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

"It is a compliment to the artist that only here, over a decade into her career, on her sixth studio album, does she, for the first time, let this listener down. Take “Human Nature” and put in on a golden record, play “Take a Bow” at my funeral, and let the rest of this sleepy album be forgotten; it is, to my ears and memory, Madonna’s first truly inessential moment."

This is all true. Also this means that Erotica is higher than 6.5... @Angelus

They wrote: "Her previous album Erotica, with its diversity and effective New Jack Swing tourism, was received generally well and is now considered among many of her acolytes to be her masterpiece."

Was it received that well when it was released? um1 

I think the BS review is too subjective. jj3 

28 minutes ago, Nocturn said:

They wrote: "Her previous album Erotica, with its diversity and effective New Jack Swing tourism, was received generally well and is now considered among many of her acolytes to be her masterpiece."

Was it received that well when it was released? um1 

I think the BS review is too subjective. jj3 

It received generally favorable reviews, that's true, but it was highly taken for granted and overlooked due to her image in 1992, I just hope more publications pick up on it, maybe when her biopic comes out or sadly when she dies. That album is no less than 9/10 and is easily her best, imo.

On 16.8.2017 at 11:37 PM, Cosmic Love said:

Her debut got a higher score than Ray of Light?

DPFkWMU.gif

This. lmfao2 

On 17.8.2017 at 0:00 AM, Vilppu said:

Madonna - 8.2
Ray of Light - 8.1

wow, what a joke, The First Album is far superior to the other one.

DPFkWMU.gif Go back to the Kylie section, sis.

I honestly agree with their Bedtime Stories review. I would give it a 7, though. They truly hit the nail on the head though. It's well-produced but the songs just blurr into each other and only two or three truly stand out. It's very much a filler and I'm not even sad most of the song never got performed on tour.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.