Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

AGNTEA

Who is Katy Perry?

Hello Kittens. Time to discuss! I know we're in the BG's here. But my plan is not to drag Katy or her latest work.

I'm a big fan of Witness (minus Bigger Than Me/Miss You More except the Balloon lyric), enjoyed PRISM (Legendary Lovers says hello), wasn't a big fan of Teenage Dream (except E.T/Circle The Drain/Who Am I Living For and I can still bop to her hits of course) and live for One Of The Boys (sounds cheesy, but it really got me to what I am doing today). But after all her albums, sometimes I find myself still asking "Who is Katy Perry as an artist?" or "What is her signature sound?". She tried out several genres now, which I totally enjoy. But there are moments where I miss her signature of original sound. With Witness, I part wise had the feeling it comes back. Bon Appetit is the typical tongue'n cheek "controverse"-Katy song (like Ur So Gay/Peacock/and cute but sexy Birthday Big Balloons). The title track Witness reminded me of her Pre-OOTB days and Pendulum is giving me serious Katy Hudson vibes.

Now and then I get to listen to her unreleased stuff she did before her debut came out. And I have to say that those songs sound the most original in her repertoire. I think if the sound aesthetic would have get enhanced a bit, she'd have her signature sound. I mean, like, Marina & The Diamonds for example. You know, no matter what type of music she did, for at least 98% it always felt totally Marina (Because of her melodic lines when she sings words like "deep". [Fun fact, the way Katy sings "my roots they run deep in Rise is totally the way Marina would sing it]. Or her typical chord-progression of "am - G - C - F"-songs). Or Kesha. No matter how "different and fresh" Rainbow sounds for the General Public, it feels soo naturally like Kesha. The way she sings the bridge in Woman is just like she would do on her debut, Animal. Or Gagas bridge in Perfect Illusion. The way she sings "Where are you cause I can't see [...]" is just..urgh..typical The Famega!" So, I am still wondering where this is at Katys songs. Roulette and Deja Vu are highlights on Witness, but if you wouldn't take too much care of the voice you could think it's out of Kieszas "Sound Of A Woman".   I still love Witness and she is giving me a loooot with it. But I have the feeling she still hasn't found who she is as a musician, and tries out everything else instead. So. Even though I admire her for trying out a lot of different genres, I would love her to do something "Katyful". Maybe it's time for her to write music with her guitar instead over already-produced beats like she does for some songs. Remember, in her MTV Unplugged interview in 2009 she said that this type of music where she feels most true to her as an artist!

While listening to her older stuff, I was thinking those sound the most Katy to me.

Here are some examples.

Weigh Me Down: In this song she showcases vocals and lyrics that are typical Katy imo. ("Just a halfmoon in your perception/It looks full to me" is just like "Open Sesame", but I love Weigh Me Down).

Spoiler

The second song is "It's Okay To Believe". The background vocals are signature Pre-OOTB Katy and just like "Weigh Me Down", this has a nice indie touch.

Spoiler

The list could go on with "Cup Of Coffee" and "Long Shot". And especially "The Box"

What do you think? What is like "typical" Katy for you? I think Save as Draft and Dance With The Devil are the most Katy songs on Witness. Save as Draft because of the lyrics and the bridge (lord, what do i have with those bridges) and Dance With The Devil cause I feel the same vibe when listening to Who Am I Living For and Spiritual.

Not sorry for these thoughts at 2am.

"Teenage Dream" is her signature sound. Carefree, nostalgic, and explosive pop music. She is was unapologetically bubblegum and she does that way better than almost all of her contemporaries. That's why Witness isn't clicking, once you find what works for you and what you're best at you should stick to it imo. Katy's lucky, she can always go back to that but some artists have been working for ages and STILL haven't found that "signature sound."

1 hour ago, Bionic Monster said:

"Teenage Dream" is her signature sound. Carefree, nostalgic, and explosive pop music. She is was unapologetically bubblegum and she does that way better than almost all of her contemporaries. That's why Witness isn't clicking, once you find what works for you and what you're best at you should stick to it imo. Katy's lucky, she can always go back to that but some artists have been working for ages and STILL haven't found that "signature sound."

but how come when Madonna changes her sound she gets praised but when Katy stops being a bubblegum manufactured pop star she's panned by stans ??? jj3 ...

18 minutes ago, DREAMPOP said:

but how come when Madonna changes her sound she gets praised but when Katy stops being a bubblegum manufactured pop star she's panned by stans ??? jj3 ...

Because it's possible to reinvent yourself while still keeping the same basic quality that made people like you in the first place. None of the new pop girls understand this. Hell, Madonna hasn't even understood in since the "Confessions" eradead4

On 18.08.2017 at 3:44 AM, Bionic Monster said:

Because it's possible to reinvent yourself while still keeping the same basic quality that made people like you in the first place. None of the new pop girls understand this. Hell, Madonna hasn't even understood in since the "Confessions" eradead4

I see you girl oprah6 

On 18.8.2017 at 3:44 AM, Bionic Monster said:

I'm glad you didn't exclude Joanne from this. Otherwise it would have been your typical pot calling the kettle black.

11 hours ago, Urbanov said:

I see you girl oprah6 

That's not what I meantrip2

10 hours ago, Fatriah No1Care-y said:

I'm glad you didn't exclude Joanne from this. Otherwise it would have been your typical pot calling the kettle black.

ok Fatriah No1Care-y.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.