Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Infrared

Vibe Magazine defends Gaga

"And let me be clear, I get it. It’s a lot to ask an oppressed people to educate others on what they need to do to help. Gaga has access to Wi-Fi and knows how to Google, so yes, I understand why this question rubbed some the wrong way and was deemed as a lazy request and attention grabbing.

But beloveds, how is Gaga supposed to know if she is not told by those living and breathing the very oppression she wants to help dismantle?

The black community is not a monolith; we are nuanced AF. There are still so many things we must un-learn that have been passed down from previous generations and then learn for our own present-day survival. All our black experiences are also not the same. African-Americans with roots in the South may have a different narrative than West Indian/African-Americans like myself or first-generation Africans who immigrate here or Afro-Latinos, which, if we’re being honest is still a concept many black Americans struggle with accepting. So if Gaga wants to ask how she can help such a colorful and vast group, how I choose to interpret her question is, she knows she doesn’t know, so she’s asking those who do know. Why is that an issue?"

https://www.vibe.com/2017/08/lady-gaga-charlottesville-tweet-backlash/

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.