Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

CalixSpurius

Will Beyoncé Ever Be As Legendary As Madonna ?

1 minute ago, CalixSpurius said:

@Infrared

Also, I think I am a mix of Allyship and "Woke" justification according to that scale giveup1. I think the resolution lies in believing that "There is only 1 race, and that's human race". I also think that "systematic racism is very real and needs to be ended" but to be honest I'm a Slytherin, I don't think I would put my "Health & Safety & Freedom on the line" for anything. dead7

Well for me, you can only go so far to an extent. I acknowledge that non-black / non african-american (and blacks too) can only speak up so much without losing their jobs. At a certain point, what becomes more important. Making a statement or making sure you're safe. In this world, I wouldn't risk my professional career to get arrested at a riot or something else. or say something controversial about the President (like he should die or something ridiculous) jj4  Some things you need to keep to yourself because they always circle back and can be used against you.

That's why I try not to be too political in my platforms. If people want to talk to me in person, that's one thing. 

8 hours ago, Infrared said:

I said she is partly black because she's mixed, she is seen merely as black because of American obsession with racial purity, white being the purest resulting in ridiculous one-drop rule. 

um what dead4dead4  I hope you don't say this in public dead4 

I think in the U.S, Beyonce will outshine Madonna. Not in sales, but in public approval and impact. Outside, probably not.

wendy4 Yeah because Beyoncé totally had the same impact and helped shape and renovate pop music the way Madonna did. You literally need to Cure.mp3 your delusion, sis. It's getting rather worrisome.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:34 PM, Infrared said:

I hate the term people of color. Again, you are endorsing ideas that serve the foundation for American Racism. When you say people of color, you instigate the idea that "white" is the norm, and anything other than white is the "others".

Each person views this differently. As an African American, I don't mind "person of color" because there is strength in being non-white and being a minority. Other African Americans simply like being called black. If we wan't to drill it down, it's of African diaspora. White is the normal and will always be the normal. But normal is boring and that's why minorities have been more prominent - because we offer something different than just an anglo-saxon European look.

and I say normal as in society has normalized it. Not because I enjoy it being normalized. 

I don't know what you mean by African American lifestyle, they are people like us, I find it divisive to associate too much meaning to race. It's same as telling gay people should be a certain way. 

Ugh this is a hard one to explain. African American culture is different - the way you talk, read, date. It's hard to describe because it's something you just do. Like when someone describes Black Twitter, it's an entirely different way of thinking.

I think you're confusing it was something derogatory.  An African American lifestyle is perpetuated by two sides. An African - American side, and a non African-American lifestyle. Think of it as a culture with an America.

3- I do not say they should identify as mixed to cater to a white society, I am saying that they are not given a choice anyways. Take the example of Obama, he's half white, why would objectively he would consider himself just as black ? Simply because society demands it, and that demand itself is the root of racism. I am not saying that there is anything shameful with identifying as a black but the reasons they have to identify as black or they would be called nothing but black by society is racist. Why would Obama feel the need of identifying as black in spite of totally ignoring one side of his heritage ? Because he has to since society inherently applies the one-drop rule. 

He doesn't feel the need to. He wants to because he's grown up as African American, has African American features, etc. He's not saying he's not, he's just saying he identifies with the African American community more. Choosing an identity doesn't necessarily mean ignoring it.

For example, I was born in Jamaica but I prominently identify as African American because I've spent more time in the U.S and have grown under American values and customs. More times than often I will identify as African American, but there are cases where I can identify as West Indian or Carribean. I just choose not to in most cases because it's further separated from identity.

4- I do not say that you're racist for considering Beyonce or Obama as black but the logic behind it is basically endorsing the one-drop rule which is a racist concept so inherently adopted by our society that people don't even notice. 

I mean sis it's either yes or no there is no in-between (in your concept). There are a group of African-Americans who says all whites are inherently racist because they have an upper advantage and adhere to a system that is centered towards white supremacy.

In America, it's a little more complicated. There are degrees of racism that are intentional and non-intentional. 

Picture

For example, look at the word Nigger. That word is rooted in racism and there are African Americans who advocate against using it. But then there are African Americans who advocate for its usage because it has transformed into something else. 

What I'm saying about the one-drop rule is that African-Americans and people of mixed heritage have openly embraced and shifted the perceptions of the one-drop rule. Where there was a desire to be white and shed you heritage, there is now a desire to fully embrace it. 

5- I do not think I look from a white perspective. My ancestors were from all over the world. I have a French Jewish mom (actually born in France) and Karamanlides (Turkish speaking greek-orthodox actually born in Greece) father. I believe my background and foreign extended family allows me to take a step back and see the big picture of racism in the context of America. Race is a naturalized concept which means that race is not a scientific reality yet we still keep categorizing people, even applying one-drop rule. That segregation is the foundation of racism. 

uh no it doesnt  rip1  In fact, you'd be considered white in America. and you'd probably get slapped by a person of color if you said that rip4  It comes off insanely privileged and naive.  There's a whole world you don't know about. Not because you're dumb, but because you're literally just unaware of what it truly means to be black in America. It's like why I explain why Beyonce losing the album of the year is much bigger than the Grammy's and all the European members just scoff and tell me I'm dumb.

But it's because they live in a countries where blacks are nowhere to be found - literally rip4 

You're lucky you're talking to me cause I know some SJW's would shut you down and clock you for filth upside down rip4 

this post scalped me damn 

She is only popular locally and only because she is "black" cause it seems that nowadays that is all you need to blow up.  Not discarding that she has any talent tho (no taste in men tho judging by the guy she married) but she is grossly overrated. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.