Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Kyoteki

Look What You Made Me Do - Flop or Bop?

orly1 

The song is cute, but that's it. Nothing special. Not worthy to be a single, especially lead single. jj3 I expected something epic. The chorus is repetitive and boring. It should have had some more interesting melody.

This song could have been made in the beginning of the 2000s. xtina11 

Will it slay? I don't know. It could for a while, but who knows. If trash like Despacito can slay...

So far, this song is rather polarizing which is never good. Now think back to Despacito. That song, as annoying as it is now, was an instant BOP. I think we can all agree that it felt like a hit when it came out. It had UNIVERSAL APPEAL. 

This song eeekk it's too weird for Taylor and her regular audience, it's not catchy enough for the GP and it's not like the stuff that's been slaying the charts. 

It's catchy as hell but it's. so. try hard. wendy4 Musically, it's fun in a way, but feels like a wannabe track in the same way that Bad Crud did, like "uh I'm so hardcore."  My real issue isn't just the music though... Why did she sacrifice all her great hook instincts on the altar?  It's a grower for sure but the lyrics take the "borderline cringe" aspect to a lot of her tongue-in-cheek stuff and blow it out of proportion.  I also don't like the "you made me be evil" spin because it's just another incarnation of the tired victim narrative.  

It's a grower I can tell, but no one will convince me this is Taylor at her strongest.  Not her best songwriting and definitely not her best genre.

It's funny how bad her songwriting gets when she's genuinely pressed. lmfao2 

Bad Blood and this song perfectly demonstrate this. Her other songs are stronger bc lbr she honestly didn't give much of a shit about her many ex-lovers.

Okay so now that I've had time to collect my thoughts:

The song is just.. bad. As a Katy stan I've gotten used to pretty bad songwriting, but this is just another level. It's one thing to write a few ditzy lines & make it playful, it's another to do so and make it deadly serious laughcry1

Like many have pointed out, it sounds like it was released in the early 00's, and not in a cute inspired way, it really just sounds dated. Not to mention that it's pretty much a rehash of bad blood. Old Taylor Swift is dead? It seems to me like she's still alive and breathing laughcry1

18 minutes ago, Jae said:

Yikes at all the pressed souls in this thread xtina12xtina12xtina12xtina12 

song is a petty bop in a way, sure, but a bop nonetheless. Already 100k+ copies sold so shrug1sass1

Exactly! 

Source for amount sold?  That would be crazy.  

I do see that its outselling Despacito 1 to .08 at the moment shrug1

I'm so confused about this song tbh.  Now I'm a Katy fan but like I can bop along to a poppy taylor hit. Like during 1989 Blank Space was my JAM and even though I hated the intent of Bad Blood, it was still a bop.

LWYMMD is such a let down by Taylor standards.  All I hear is a chorus that is a rehash of If I Was You by Meghan Trainor and the sampled I'm Too Sexy.  Her pop songs are usually super repetitive (looking at you shake it off and out of the woods) but this is just like she just copied and pasted the chorus over and over and over again.  Even the verses are nothing extraordinary.  I'm sorry but the whole "old Taylor's dead" part is so not weave snatching.  and it's the same things she's done in her bridges over the last 3 lead singles now with the speaking part.

the pop girls are dying and I thought at least taylor would be their last hope.  but I really don't think this is gonna save them at all.  I think it's time to accept the time of the pop girls and their soaring pop hits is over.  the strongest comeback this year quality wise was Kesha tbh and I think it'll stay that way.

the music in the top of the charts is painful recently.  and this ain't helping it.  the dry spell continues....

1 hour ago, Jae said:

Yikes at all the pressed souls in this thread xtina12xtina12xtina12xtina12 

song is a petty bop in a way, sure, but a bop nonetheless. Already 100k+ copies sold so shrug1sass1

She released 8 seconds of white noise in 2014 and it became #1 in Canada. Selling records does not equal quality. This song is objectively shit rav2

Well, of course she would take advantage of the media calling her a snake, and now presenting herself as one wendy4 Honestly, I would have been surprised if she did anything else, this was so expected... wendy4 

I'm lowkey disgusted about her continuously playing into this victimised persona and over-dramatising everything, but I lowkey like the song. I think I'm gonna continue the tradition of disliking her as a person, but somewhat enjoying her music. xtina11

5 hours ago, Freaky Prince said:

The verses, the pre-chorus and the bridge are great, but that chorus.... no, baby dead4 

But as someone already said, she needs to stop living in negativity, remember when her career didn't rely on petty feuds?

Which was... never? dead4 She literally built a career off of being mad about her ex-boyfriends. dead2 She's just more obvious about her pettiness now.

1 minute ago, Kirjava said:

Well, of course she would take advantage of the media calling her a snake, and now presenting herself as one wendy4 Honestly, I would have been surprised if she did anything else, this was so expected... wendy4 

I'm lowkey disgusted about her continuously playing into this victimised persona and over-dramatising everything, but I lowkey like the song. I think I'm gonna continue the tradition of disliking her as a person, but somewhat enjoying her music. xtina11

Which was... never? dead4 She literally built a career off of being mad about her ex-boyfriends. dead2 She's just more obvious about her pettiness now.

Ex bf isnt really a feud moo1 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.