Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

BreatheeOnKnee

Best pop era?

Best pop era  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Best pop era

• Y2K Bubblegum Era [1997-2001]
    • Post 9/11 Era [2001-2006]
    • Post 2000's Era [2006-2010]
    • Early 2010's Era[2010-2013]
    • Modern 2010's Era [2013-2017]
    • OTHER [Pre-1997, 80's?]

WARNING: LONG LIST OF VIDEOS aretha1

Y2K Era [1997-2001]:

In the late 90's its seems everyone in America got tired of all the edgy grunge music and hip-hop/rnb and started turning to bubblegum/teenpop. Boybands trying to be urban, girlgroups and teeny pop girls thrived in this era. 

POST 9/11 ERA:

Towards the end of 2001 it's like every pop-star overnight transformed into some super sexy urban version of themselves, and all bubblegum-pop was replaced by urban-pop or pop rock.

POST 2000'S ERA [2006-2010]:

By the late 2000's, the urban pop style was gone and electro-pop and electronic music was the new sound everyone went for. A lot of previous pop girls had either fallen off or went through a personal crisis. Lots of new pop girls were introduced too.

EARLY 2010'S ERA[2010-2013]:

Basically post-2000's pt 2. Electro-pop solidified into the pop world but the sound was a bit different and overused by then.

MODERN 2010'S ERA[2013-2017]:

Generic electro-pop died down completely and everyone turned to urban-pop again and trap. Tropical house also became huge about halfway through.

Vote for your favorite era and state if you think one is the worst. 

Is a new pop-era coming soon or has it already started btw?

I said pre-1997. This is too big of an area for this poll, but I would argue anywhere between 1980 – 1993-ish. Pop-rock and Dance-pop were really fabulous and interesting on multiple levels. I would also say that a lot of it feels really experimental and genuine, and it got a little formulaic over the years. A lot of good artists were making some of their best work (Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, George Michael, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Tears for Fears, Prince, etc.) You had some good cheesy acts, too. Then in the late 80s and early 90s, you had influences like house, R&B, and new jack swing being used in pop music. (Janet Jackson, Kylie Minogue) And then it sort of tapers off into the mid90s and late90s bubblegum pop.

Although, I will say, that Europop from between like 1996-2003 was pretty fantastic.

Your post 2000's category holds a lot of my faves ny10

Shakira was THE Latin pop girl with Hips Dont Lie/La Tortura/She Wolf

Rihanna had the AGLM, GGGB, Rated R, and LOUD eras which were all flawless

Lady Gaga was still enjoyable then

Honorable mentions to MC's We Belong Together/The Emancipation of Mimi and Beyonces B'day era. I don't consider those two eras really pop necessarily if we're gonna be specific, more R&B imo sia2 

I chose 2010 - 2013 because that was around the time I really started paying attention to pop music culture and becoming a huge fan of artists so it's very personal to me (2008 - 2013 would be the whole of that era in my life I guess).

I didn't really experience the Y2K era or the 2000 - 2006 even though I was alive for them, because my mom pretty much just played her CDs and AM radio when we were in the car, so I never really heard the current pop music of that time except for what was on Disney Channel.

OF course all the young phags are gonna pick the repeititve Dr. Puke 2010-2013 era when the true pop fans know pop y2k was the prime time of all pop music (Britney, Christina, NSYNC, BSB, Spice Girls, Hanson, Destiny's Child, TLC, all the other random boy bands and girl groups, Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, etc.)

2 hours ago, Teenage Wet Dream said:

OF course all the young phags are gonna pick the repeititve Dr. Puke 2010-2013 era when the true pop fans know pop y2k was the prime time of all pop music (Britney, Christina, NSYNC, BSB, Spice Girls, Hanson, Destiny's Child, TLC, all the other random boy bands and girl groups, Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, etc.)

yea its probably my least favorite pop era kesha2  even worse than pop now.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.