Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Vulnicura.

#VulnicuraListensTo — Kate Bush - The Red Shoes

Just now, Hylia said:

It is, but it's basically old songs from when she was younger and from the The Kick Inside sessions that didn't make that album. It was an album her label made her release the same year as TKI because of its success

that's a bit contrived tbh, but is it a good alberm?

slrxHvm6rf.jpg

1. Rubberband Girl - 9.25
  2. And So Is Love - 7.5
  3. Eat The Music - 8
  4. Moments of Pleasures - 10
  5. The Song of Solomon - 9
  6. Lily - 8.5
  7. The Red Shoes - 8.3
  8. Top of the City - 9
  9. Constellation of the Heart - 7
  10. Big Stripey Lie - 7
  11. Why Should I Love You? - 9
  12. You're The One - 7

Average: 8.30

XDAra81.png

I'm not going to say I hated it completely but it really lacked a certain energy for it to rank up with the other Kate albums

Thanks to @Hylia for listening with me!

I'll be listening to Unrepentant Geraldines (Tori) and Aerial (Kate) next week!

Good night/morning!

Just now, Vulnicura. said:

slrxHvm6rf.jpg

1. Rubberband Girl - 9.25
  2. And So Is Love - 7.5
  3. Eat The Music - 8
  4. Moments of Pleasures - 10
  5. The Song of Solomon - 9
  6. Lily - 8.5
  7. The Red Shoes - 8.3
  8. Top of the City - 9
  9. Constellation of the Heart - 7
  10. Big Stripey Lie - 7
  11. Why Should I Love You? - 9
  12. You're The One - 7

Average: 8.30

I'm not going to say I hated it completely but it really lacked a certain energy for it to rank up with the other Kate albums

Thanks to @Hylia for listening with me!

I'll be listening to Unrepentant Geraldines (Tori) and Aerial (Kate) next week!

Good night/morning!

Both Unrepentant Geraldines and Aerial are superb, neither will let you down. Thank you as always for hosting!

Noooooo

You do this now? When I'm out getting drunk? How dare you. I can't believe I missed this.

The Red Shoes is very controversial. Some people love it, some people don't think it's too hot. I wanted to see your reaction to it. WHY U GOTTA DO THIS WHEN I'M GONE

It's one of those albums that aren't that great but some songs grow on you. Eat The Music, Constellation of the Heart, and Big Stripey Lie all grew on me eventually. Some other songs are great, too. But it was definitely not her greatest work. An 8/10 is fitting, tbh. 

OH. But the title track is the best one, tho. You'll grow to love it, I'm sure. The Red Shoes and Moments of Pleasure are probably the BEST songs on the album. 

But isn't the album cover beautiful. Tell me you love it. 

6 hours ago, Hylia said:

In a way I prefer The Red Shows to Lionheart, but I do think The Red Shoes has lower lows

Lionheart is like...10x better, though. It doesn't have the type of duds that The Red Shoes has.

To be fair, Kate was going through some personal/romantic stuff while making TRS (she was breaking up with Del Palmer, who was her bassist and long-time partner for years) and maybe making music that was that personal just doesn't come across well for Kate. 

7 hours ago, Hylia said:

The Red Shoes is great, I kinda wanna watch the movie. The original fairytale also needs to be a Disney movie

The film is great, let me tell you. The actually filming of the Ballet scenes is phenomenal. Best part of the movie. Watch it. 

8 hours ago, Vulnicura. said:

If I'm not wrong isn't this album considered the least favorite among fans? It might have to do with how it sounds like a pop album when people expect something outrageous from Kate. Her playing safe itself might actually be unexpected tbh.

I don't think its accessibility is the problem to fans. It is probably the lack of a strong concept. The album is more like a collection of different songs. Also, many sounds on that album sounded cheap and dated even for time it was released. 

Still, it has many great ideas, lyrics and melodies.

7 hours ago, Vulnicura. said:

that's a bit contrived tbh, but is it a good alberm?

It is like a rehash of her debut. It has some bops. eve1 

2 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Lionheart is like...10x better, though. It doesn't have the type of duds that The Red Shoes has. 

No. wendy1 

15 minutes ago, Nocturn said:

It is probably the lack of a strong concept. The album is more like a collection of different songs. Also, many sounds on that album sounded cheap and dated even for time it was released. 

6 minutes ago, Nocturn said:

And So Is Love  10 

Moments of Pleasures 10

The Song of Solomon 10

Lily 10

The Red Shoes 10

Top of the City 10

Constellation of the Heart 10

Big Stripey Lie 10

jj5

2 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

But isn't the album cover beautiful. Tell me you love it. 

I'm not crazy over it, but it's interesting

Oop, I missed it... again sia2

This is my least favourite Kate album, actually, so I'm not that pressed that I missed this. However, can you inform me like a day early when you'll be listening to Aerial? Because, bITCH, that album is totally worth losing my night's sleep. rih14

9 minutes ago, Design said:

Oop, I missed it... again sia2

This is my least favourite Kate album, actually, so I'm not that pressed that I missed this. However, can you inform me like a day early when you'll be listening to Aerial? Because, bITCH, that album is totally worth losing my night's sleep. rih14

yes you will be added to #VulnicuraReminds!

I'm very excited for Aerial tbh, I'm trying not to have any expectations so that I won't be disappointed in any way!

Just now, Vulnicura. said:

yes you will be added to #VulnicuraReminds!

I'm very excited for Aerial tbh, I'm trying not to have any expectations so that I won't be disappointed in any way!

Yeah, that's the thing, it's a great album when not having any expectations whatsoever, so I'ma resist talking about it for now. cheryl1

11 hours ago, Nocturn said:

It is like a rehash of her debut. It has some bops. eve1 

No. wendy1 

I honestly feel like Lionheart gets a mediocre reception for a lot of silly reasons. The main one being that it just feels like a "continuation" of her debut. I think, looking at her entire discography in retrospect, it's obvious there isn't much of a change between TKI and Lionheart, but I still feel like that's a weak argument. For me, I think Lionheart has a particular tone and vibe to it that is different from TKI, and there are some really specials songs on there. Maybe it's not 10x better than The Red Shoes, but there's a lot of songs on TRS that I don't use. creep1 Meanwhile there's only like 1 song on Lionheart that I don't really like. I actually have a lot of positive opinions about Lionheart, maybe I should write a blog post about it wendy1 #StayTuned

11 hours ago, Vulnicura. said:

jj5

I'm not crazy over it, but it's interesting

I grew to like it. The Red Shoes is when she officially stopped putting herself on her album covers.

Now that I'm sober creep1 I will be a little more articulate. I think The Red Shoes has a very distinct sound to it, but it's really difficult to describe. It's definitely not the typical early 90s sound you're used to (and although Kate's music was always in a box of her own, her music did sound very 70s or 80s, depending on the album) But The Red Shoes just feels sort of… misplaced. I feel like the songs don't have as clear of concepts, and I feel like the attempt to shift her topics towards studying human emotions (instead of narratives) didn't really work out on The Red Shoes like it did – so wonderfully – on The Sensual World. I'm a huge Kate fan, yet there are some songs from The Red Shoes that I never listen to. I think And So Is love and You're The One could have been nixed completely. I get that they're somewhat personal to Kate, but they are such a snore dead2 The album's already fairly long anyway, so I feel like she didn't need some of the songs.

There are some great moments on the album though. The songs that I love to listen to are:

Rubberband Girl
Eat The Music (it's a bit repetitive, but I love the lyrics and it has such a good feeling to it. One of the warmest sounding songs on the album, I think)
Moments of Pleasure
The Red Shoes
Constellation of the Heart (I actually like the entire second half, "call and response", part of the song)
Big Stripey Lie
Why Should I Love You?

Anyway, I think @Nocturn summed up the album pretty well earlier ^

12 minutes ago, Nocturn said:

Who is in your avatar and signature? interesting1 

I don't who the models are, but I do know that the photographer is Serge Lutens tea2 All of his photographs have this outlandish esotheric feel in them that I can't possibly explain by words.legend1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.