Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

TomTom

Rainbow Tour reviews

Kesha Raises Spirits, Preaches Equality at Triumphant Nashville Show

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/keshas-rainbow-tour-visits-nashvilles-ryman-auditorium-w505884 

Kesha Annihilates Authenticity 

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/09/28/554264327/kesha-annihilates-authenticity

Concert review: Kesha brought glitter, honesty and fun to the Roxy

LIVE REVIEW: Kesha rises from the ashes in ‘Rainbow Tour’ debut 

Kesha Brings the House Down at Powerful Hometown Show

All positive cry1

1 hour ago, Rosé said:

I'm not really trusting the reviews for her output lately, cause of the likely sympathy praising. Though I guess it balances out how negatively biased critics used to be with her other records, besides Deconstructed.

Warrior and Cannibal did pretty well though on Metacritic

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Warrior and Cannibal did pretty well though on Metacritic

But she was still heavily criticised for using autotune and I've found her negative reviews to often be lacking substance, for example the DoseOfBuckley review of Crazy Kids (will.i.am version). 

9 minutes ago, Rosé said:

But she was still heavily criticised for using autotune and I've found her negative reviews to often be lacking substance, for example the DoseOfBuckley review of Crazy Kids (will.i.am version). 

Yeah, but from what we've heard the autotune appears to not have been so much of her choice. And I would agree with the DoseOfBuckley, the will.i.am version was really, really bad.

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah, but from what we've heard the autotune appears to not have been so much of her choice. And I would agree with the DoseOfBuckley, the will.i.am version was really, really bad.

I think her lack of creative control has been a bit exaggerated. Half of the Warrior tracks are very "Kesha" and could actually fit onto Rainbow, e.g. Past Lives, OWDWY, Last Goodbye and Dirty Love and she's expressed positive feelings for most of the album in the past and present. She just didn't get to pick the singles.

Anyway, autotune is deemed bad regardless of how it's used anyway, meaning that reviewers are usually biased against it anyway.

DoseOfBuckley critiqued the song based on promises (that I've never heard of) of more natural instruments and less autotune for Warrior, which actually happened, but he was dumb enough to use on song as a representation of the whole record. The main issue with Crazy Kids isn't really will.i.am's verse, it's actually how alien the lyrics are from the rest of Kesha's catalogue and how contrived and artificial the lyrics are in the verses (I personally don't care). This is common knowledge for fans at this point who are aware with her grievances with the lyrics. 

Sidenote: Will's verse isn't actually "really, really bad", it's just weak and Pitbull's should have been favoured.

2 minutes ago, Rosé said:

I think her lack of creative control has been a bit exaggerated. Half of the Warrior tracks are very "Kesha" and could actually fit onto Rainbow, e.g. Past Lives, OWDWY, Last Goodbye and Dirty Love and she's expressed positive feelings for most of the album in the past and present. She just didn't get to pick the singles.

But those are the tracks that people haven't really harshly critiqued, in many reviews those are the tracks that have been deemed as the best on the record. Which shows her talent bey4 

3 minutes ago, Rosé said:

Anyway, autotune is deemed bad regardless of how it's used anyway, meaning that reviewers are usually biased against it anyway.

Yeah, I'd agree critics are usually quick to correlate autotune with "bad music/no talent". However, I think in many circumstances, she used it tastefully. I think Take It Off is an example where autotune was used perfectly. But, I'd also say that I'd like a few certain tracks more if they weren't so heavily autotuned.

5 minutes ago, Rosé said:

DoseOfBuckley critiqued the song based on promises (that I've never heard of) of more natural instruments and less autotune for Warrior, which actually happened, but he was dumb enough to use on song as a representation of the whole record. The main issue with Crazy Kids isn't really will.i.am's verse, it's actually how alien the lyrics are from the rest of Kesha's catalogue and how contrived and artificial the lyrics are in the verses (I personally don't care). This is common knowledge for fans at this point who are aware with her grievances with the lyrics. 

I'll have to watch his review now bey1  But Crazy Kids isn't even super heavily autotuned, so that's a weird thing for him to say. But I do think Will.i.am's verse was just so bad. I love the version without him, but I can't listen to his... I think his voice was a right fit, but the actual execution was not great. 

5 minutes ago, Dan said:
  1. But those are the tracks that people haven't really harshly critiqued, in many reviews those are the tracks that have been deemed as the best on the record. Which shows her talent bey4 
  2. Yeah, I'd agree critics are usually quick to correlate autotune with "bad music/no talent". However, I think in many circumstances, she used it tastefully. I think Take It Off is an example where autotune was used perfectly. But, I'd also say that I'd like a few certain tracks more if they weren't so heavily autotuned.
  3. I'll have to watch his review now bey1  But Crazy Kids isn't even super heavily autotuned, so that's a weird thing for him to say. But I do think Will.i.am's verse was just so bad. I love the version without him, but I can't listen to his... I think his voice was a right fit, but the actual execution was not great. 
  1. They all get grouped together unfortunately bummer1
  2. Defiantly. I think Love Into The Light should've had less autotune and had a more simple instrumental, which Greg was perfectly capable of making, as he showed throughout Deconstructed on every track.   
  3. It's in his Worst Songs Of 2013 list on YouTube. I think he's terribly misinformed about her discography.
Just now, Rosé said:
  1. It's in his Worst Songs Of 2013 list on YouTube. I think he's terribly misinformed about her discography.

Ohhhh, it's that guy... I've watched his videos before. I don't like them, he is SUCH a biased reviewer and so negative about everything. I can't watch videos like that wendy4

1 minute ago, Rosé said:

The negative isn't bad, the bias is IMO.

Not when it's PURE negative, there is positive in everything and he just can't seem to find it in anything... 

And his reviews aren't constructive, they're just aggressive.

54 minutes ago, Rosé said:

Machine Gun Love and other stuff was rejected for months, she wanted to make a completely different album (and she announced it back then, before all the mess) but she was forced to create "very Kesha" songs with a different sound, even some reviewers said that they were expecting other things because of her statements. Of course she likes/liked what she created and the album is quite good anyway, but you can't say that the only problem was the singles choice.

This guy has my favorite reviews of Kesha's albums... He's such a sweetheart and he's constructive about them, but in a nice way (and also knows what he's talking about).

Loving the love!

I don't think positive tour reviews need to be questioned as only being from a place of sympathy. Even if her albums haven't always gotten positive reviews from music critics, haven't her shows generally been given top marks? She puts on a helluva performance, fun and wild and with a lot of energy, and she always has. Even people who don't like her music would be hard pressed to say otherwise. Only the most biased asswipes would try.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.