Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Why did Gaga change IWBWY to Dope?

She spoke about it on Howard Stern in 2014, the label wanted her to make it less about her fans and more about emotion/love/Taylor (because ballads were big at the time thanks to Adele and Sam Smith's popularity) they felt it needed to be more heartfelt so she said she made a song about her heart and her soul and her pain. I wish she'd work with Rick Rubin again tbh

43 minutes ago, Harry Styles said:

She spoke about it on Howard Stern in 2014, the label wanted her to make it less about her fans and more about emotion/love/Taylor (because ballads were big at the time thanks to Adele and Sam Smith's popularity) they felt it needed to be more heartfelt so she said she made a song about her heart and her soul and her pain. I wish she'd work with Rick Rubin again tbh

wow label really enjoyed controlling her in artpop era wendy4

i wonder how artpop would turn out without label's direction

1 hour ago, rosekesha said:

wow label really enjoyed controlling her in artpop era wendy4

i wonder how artpop would turn out without label's direction

I think she mentioned once in an interview discussing the interference in the era years later (maybe 2014 or 15? Idk) that the label said to her basically as a paraphrase "ok now you've got all this success and people are getting turned off by your eccentric behaviour and we just want you to look pretty and make pop music" which she said was why she was always glamorous and was making an album with less substance- the original was meant to just be a fun party album hence why most of the original tracks that made the final tack list are about sex, drugs, fashion, fame and partying. I remember vaguely in 2012 her saying ARTPOP was going to be a fun party album like a Disney princess in a rave.

i think the original concept was going to be her dressing glamorous and sexy making essentially fun and mindless pop/EDM music but then she hated being controlled so she started writing songs like ARTPOP, Aura and Swine and wanted to find the balance and give ARTPOP a deeper meaning because after all she revealed she just liked the phrase and it stuck with her and she had no idea what it meant for her till later (2013) 

I liked I Wanna Be With You because it’s more in a way positive while Dope is a more negative, sad song. I wish her label didn’t control her so much. I think she got past the issues with her label since she did stay at Interscope Records after they offered her a white horse if she stayed at Interscope Records. I think the name of the horse is Marbella and it was featured in an interview photo shoot I guess.

Nope is still her worst song to date. But her whiny tone in the song pisses me off more than the lyric changes. I loved that SwineFest demo though but I hated Dope. All in all, she basically promoted all my least favourite tracks from the album. wendy4 That’s basically why despise it so much. Venus, Dope, Applause, Jewels n Drugs, Fashion! and DWUW should have stayed outtakes.

Oh wow I just listened again for the first time in a while and this easily could have been one of her best ballads. Dope just got a million times worse. I just realized how much she dumbed it down and changed it. wendy4 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.