Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Mason

Can Mariah still write?

I was in my Twitter group chat, and some lambs (or goats) were saying Mariah can't write anymore. I think she can, as evidenced by songs like Cry and Camouflage. Maybe not as well as before, but to say she can't at all is kind of a stretch........

I mean, sure, her lyrics have got a little lazier in recent years. But she's still a damn brilliant writer when she truly tries:

Still try and pretend it's possible
To bring us back to life
But we continue to subside
Hanging on for life on this roller coaster ride

I call your name, baby, subconsciously
Always somewhere but you're not there for me

--

And maybe I didn't give you your space back then
And maybe I should have just held out a little bit longer
But I was seduced by you, and I didn't know enough
Truly too enchanted to disregard the words you said to make me yours
I need to hold you until we break...

Oh my love, imprudently I left every cell in me
So naked, somewhere at the core of you
Bless our souls

--

The songs on MIAMTEC were simpler lyrically for sure, but I feel like it's also some of her most honest one in years as well. I feel like the entire album is something that Mariah could relate to in a lot of ways, especially with her divorce with Nick Cannon. Take 'Faded' for example. The line "You're always somewhere but you're not there for me" sounds simplistic on paper, but it's Mariah's vocal chops that manage to make that line sound as impactful and as emotional in the track. 

She's always been good with hopping back and forth with her writing style. She could write a bop like Honey then in contrast also do songs like Butterfly, Close My Eyes, Outside etc if you look at just one album.

Besides MIAMTEC there haven't been a lot of other opportunities for her to play around like that.

Also in the 90s she mentioned that she heard everything naturally high so her songs tended to always be in a higher key, so musically speaking maybe her matured vocals are restricting her to sing the melodies she hears thus hindering her lyrics as well? But tbh MIAMTC and MOIA had some of her best lyrics so idk we need MC15 to confirm

i mean, she can write lol but she's just not as inspired anymore, which is fine since she's given us literally hundreds of gems. She's lost her spark. Ever since Memoirs, she's released mostly subpar music aside from a couple of gems like #Beautiful and Thirsty. I didnt like her last album at all, tbh.

I was thinking about this for awhile, and after listening to a few of her newer songs, I came up with the argument that her style of writing has just changed, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's become worse/better.

I would say that from Daydream through to Rainbow, Mariah was writing very poetically. She was focusing a lot on sensory details, descriptions, and interesting vocabulary. (there are plenty of examples of this. see: Butterfly) Before, during, and after this era, Mariah did well in writing lines & phrases that weren't necessarily challenging, but they were pleasant and delivered well with emotion. (ex. "oh when you walk by every night, talking sweet and looking fine, I get kind of hectic inside" or "I'm truly inspired finding my soul there in your eyes" or "tell me I'm the one you treasure") 

A lot of her latest efforts (granted I haven't heard all of them) seem to focus more on being quick, witty, or funny. (Examples: "got you fired up with your Napoleon complex, seein' right through you like you bathin' in Windex" or "If life was a game you're a free throw") She's learned to "spit" lyrics out really fast and with attitude. She's often dropping names/brands or making references. They're interesting. Often times humorous, and clever. Obviously this isn't all of her songs, but I noticed it's become a theme in her recent works. In my book, this means she can still write, but her style has changed.

I'll be back when I get caught up on her recent discography creep1 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.