FOTP

What is Dr. Luke's current role?

Dan    3,309

Okay, so I'm very confused on what the situation is with Dr. Luke right now, I read something different every single day. I know he is still holding his defamation lawsuit against Kesha. But, does he still own Kemosabe, does he still have control over some of Kesha's music? In Rolling Stone, it claimed...

There is no end in sight to the conflict, but Kesha at least got her album out, on Kemosabe, the Sony-owned label Dr. Luke founded but no longer runs, after his deal with Sony expired earlier this year.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/kesha-on-rainbow-tattoos-beating-an-eating-disorder-w506905

However, I have seen multiple other sources claim that "he still runs Kemosabe, but Kemosabe is no longer affiliated with Sony", that he still "profits from Rainbow", etc. 

What exactly is the situation? 

TomTom2288    1,263
6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Okay, so I'm very confused on what the situation is with Dr. Luke right now, I read something different every single day. I know he is still holding his defamation lawsuit against Kesha. But, does he still own Kemosabe, does he still have control over some of Kesha's music? In Rolling Stone, it claimed...

However, I have seen multiple other sources claim that "he still runs Kemosabe, but Kemosabe is no longer affiliated with Sony", that he still "profits from Rainbow", etc. 

What exactly is the situation? 

Dr. Luke's contract with Sony was not renewed and thus ended this April. His shattered reputation due to the lawsuit(s) has probably been the major reason for that. However, he still makes profit from Kesha's music, but has no creative control over her music anymore. Kemosabe Records is now owned by Sony entirely.

Dan    3,309
3 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

Dr. Luke's contract with Sony was not renewed and thus ended this April. His shattered reputation due to the lawsuit(s) has probably been the major reason for that. However, he still makes profit from Kesha's music, but has no creative control over her music anymore. Kemosabe Records is now owned by Sony entirely.

How is he profiting though, if he is no longer affiliated with Kemosabe and his name isn't on anything?

Urbi    29,209

He's a founder of Kemosabe label, but Sony is the owner.

TomTom2288    1,263
1 minute ago, Dan said:

How is he profiting though, if he is no longer affiliated with Kemosabe and his name isn't on anything?

That's a good question. I don't know the exact reason why he still profits from her music, but he definitely does. But at least he has no creative control anymore.

Urbi    29,209
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's probably some smalll percentage cause he doesn't own it.

hippotamo    127
49 minutes ago, Dan said:

bc kesha is legally bound to dr luke.  shortly after she turned 18, she signed a contract with dr luke so that he would help her secure a good record deal. i dont know when the contract terminates ( i think its 7 albums total?), but that conctract is the reason kesha was sueing him in the first place. because this contract is between him and her, even sony could not free her. he kind of owns her. 

i mean what disgusting motherfucker would seriously go through with this. hasnt she made him enough money? ffs she was just 18 (!!) when she entered this contract, like how can he not see that and be a tiny bit generous after he already made money out of her first 4 albums ... 

Dan    3,309
Just now, hippotamo said:

bc kesha is legally bound to dr luke.  shortly after she turned 18, she signed a contract with dr luke so that he would help her secure a good record deal. i dont know when the contract terminates ( i think its 7 albums total?), but that conctract is the reason kesha was sueing him in the first place. because this contract is between him and her, even sony could not free her. he kind of owns her. 

i mean what disgusting motherfucker would seriously go through with this. hasnt she made him enough money? ffs she was just 18 (!!) when she entered this contract, like how can he not see that and be a tiny bit generous after he already made money out of her first 4 albums ... 

I know the contract is for 6 albums, but I thought the contract was between Kesha and Kemosabe?

TomTom2288    1,263
20 minutes ago, Dan said:

I know the contract is for 6 albums, but I thought the contract was between Kesha and Kemosabe?

You're right:

In 2005, at 18, Kesha was signed to Dr. Luke's label, Kemosabe Entertainment, and his music publishing company, Prescription Songs.[20] Kemosabe Records is owned by Sony Music Entertainment and is located in Los Angeles, California. Sony Music Entertainment partnered with Dr. Luke to create Kemosabe Records. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesha#2005.E2.80.932009:_Career_beginnings 

#Music    26,159

most likely it's some clause in the contract that gives Dr Luke a percentage of her earnings

Chris Morlock    29,645
3 hours ago, #VaccinesMakeKidsAutistic said:

He's a founder of Kemosabe label, but Sony is the owner.

this 100%

Recycled stardust    1,914

Actually the infamous contract is between Kesha and Kasz Money Inc then Kemosabe was founded in about 2011 with the involvement of Sony and I don't know the details about the relationship with his personal society

*MOONFLOWER*    4,965

Well then if i can collect what is being discussed, does that mean in Kesha can drop two more albums by the end of the decade and be free of Luke?

Recycled stardust    1,914
2 minutes ago, *MOONFLOWER* said:

Well then if i can collect what is being discussed, does that mean in Kesha can drop two more albums by the end of the decade and be free of Luke?

3 more because Cannibal is an EP and the contract says 6 LP cry4

Dan    3,309
45 minutes ago, *MOONFLOWER* said:

42 minutes ago, Recycled stardust said:

3 more because Cannibal is an EP and the contract says 6 LP cry4

Yep jj4 

Kokoro    63

Rumors suggest his current role is cleaning shit out of music festival porta potties.

LuranusLur    2,909

i am confused with it many people tell me different stories but I just hope he will not be a big part ever again and she will be free fully after more albums

TomTom2288    1,263
3 hours ago, LuranusLur said:

i am confused with it many people tell me different stories but I just hope he will not be a big part ever again and she will be free fully after more albums

Well, he "just" gets money from her music. She is definitely free creatively.

Dan    3,309
4 hours ago, TomTom2288 said:

Well, he "just" gets money from her music. She is definitely free creatively.

I wouldn't say entirely free creatively.. She still can't play the original versions of the tracks and she isn't allowed to mention anything regarding Dr. Luke still jj4 

TomTom2288    1,263
21 minutes ago, Dan said:

I wouldn't say entirely free creatively.. She still can't play the original versions of the tracks and she isn't allowed to mention anything regarding Dr. Luke still jj4 

True, but looking at her future music.