Are you a feminist?

Luca 41,785

I am! A woman deserves more respect, I feel like they are criminally judged by today's standards and I try to tell all my girl friends that they are beautiful and shouldn't live by society's standards. They get criticised a lot by the regular men and I can't see why, even gay men often criticize their faves for being not their type of beautiful. 

I try to be as supportive as possible for women to be the very best of themselves and I think every gender should do that, not only for women, but for the entire humanity no matter what gender, race, color, religion, age, culture, etc. 

brinty 8,959

I support females but not the extremists who scream in the middle of the streets & get offended easily dancey1

but men and women are equal in the Western World dead0

feminism

NOUN

mass noun
  • The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

Hermione 26,190

Not this again. Let's cancel this fuckery for being a dupe thread before it starts. laughcry1

Simón. 25,265
16 minutes ago, delete it fat said:

except they are not. There are still huge salary gaps  for example. 

Just now, Simón. said:

except they are not. There are still huge salary gaps  for example. 

the pay gap has been debunked 

tiUJUA2.gif

and well.. men and women have equal salaries  in the EU 

tiUJUA2.gif

Simón. 25,265
1 minute ago, delete it fat said:

the pay gap has been debunked 

tiUJUA2.gif

and well.. men and women have equal salaries  in the EU 

tiUJUA2.gif

that's not true 

Hermione 26,190
14 minutes ago, Archie said:

I am not a feminist since I'm a guy, although I'm pro-feminist movement

Back in my libfem days I used to think that men who said this were just afraid of the word feminism for whatever reason, but lately I've wondered if we can call ourselves feminists at all. Even if we believe in women's liberation, we can't identify our way out of being the oppressor class. I've seen so many men pass off harmful garbage that's actually hurting the cause as feminism, including myself in the past, and everyone with male socialization plays a part in upholding patriarchy even if they don't think they do. I don't know if it's right for us to call ourselves feminists even if we have good intentions. Lately I'm thinking that pro-feminist or feminist ally might be more appropriate labels for men who align themselves with feminist views.

Archie 4,405
7 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Back in my libfem days I used to think that men who said this were just afraid of the word feminism for whatever reason, but lately I've wondered if we can call ourselves feminists at all. Even if we believe in women's liberation, we can't identify our way out of being the oppressor class. I've seen so many men pass off harmful garbage that's actually hurting the cause as feminism, including myself in the past, and everyone with male socialization plays a part in upholding patriarchy even if they don't think they do. I don't know if it's right for us to call ourselves feminists even if we have good intentions. Lately I'm thinking that pro-feminist or feminist ally might be more appropriate labels for men who align themselves with feminist views.

Exactly! We can't identify ourselves as feminist because we're not women, we won't ever know what it is to be a girl and what they go through their lives. We won't suffer any kind of prejudice towards this topic.

As an example, if I'm walking on the street at night where there is just me and a girl, she will be afraid of me and it doesn't matter if I'm supporting their movement because she doesn't know that because she doesn't know me. I'm just a stranger passing by and that's it. We won't get out the oppressor class at all.

Luca 41,785
3 hours ago, delete it fat said:

Yet they don't show they are equal, discrimination is a thing in the western. um1 Just because they are qualified as equal doesn't mean they get treated equally. 

Maryanne 2,652

I can only speak from my experience.

Where I live (south-east Europe) we try to have equal paychecks and educational opportunity for both sexes, however, it's the attitude that bothers me.

We have many, many cases of husbands killing their wives just because she changed her hair.

First question women get in a job interview is 'do you plan on having a baby in the next 5 years'.

Domestic abuse is extremely common, and women here are raised to think that it's ok for husband to hit the wife. 'It's okay, he just has a bad temper'.

Whenever there's a rape case or any kind of sexual abuse, people here are always blaming the victim. 

Speaking of victim shaming, slut shaming is at it's best now. 'You wore a short skirt, you asked for it, you want it'.

A guy who dates/has dated multiple women is playboy, casanova, bro, but if it was a girl she's a slut, whore, 'her hole must be bigger than Russia'.

Women's job is to have a kid and sit home, husband can go out every weekend and act like he's still single.

Don't even let me start on how opressed we are when it comes to expressing our sexuality. 

I have more examples, but I don't want to bore you.

It's those 'little' things. Being a feminist is not just about equal payment and the right to vote.