Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Slasher

Buzzfeed: "It's Been 15 Years Since the Most Iconic Pop Album of All Time"

Hi, welcome, take a seat. We're going on a musical journey, sweaty.

anigif_sub-buzz-27292-1508721449-1.gif?d

NBC

This month, it has been 15 years since the most iconic album of the '00s, nay, of ALL TIME, was released.

anigif_sub-buzz-15619-1508716495-8.gif?d

NBC

You better believe I am talking about the sophomore album from Christina Aguilera.

sub-buzz-22583-1508716997-8.jpg?downsize

RCA Records

It was a GROUNDBREAKING release.

Your other pop icons are still shaking.

RCA

Your other pop icons are still shaking.

From start to finish it was a powerful feminist album.

It opened with an absolute banger of an intro.

"Sorry you can't define me,Sorry I break the mold,Sorry that I speak my mind,Sorry don't do what I'm told."I got goosebumps at 12-years-old, and I still have 'em.

youtube.com

"Sorry you can't define me,

Sorry I break the mold,

Sorry that I speak my mind,

Sorry don't do what I'm told."

I got goosebumps at 12-years-old, and I still have 'em.

And then launched straight into iconic anthem "Can't Hold Us Down".

RCA

Christina wasn't afraid of getting down, dirty*, and sexy and unapologetically showed that women can do whatever the fuck they want.

*No pun intended. Also, "Get Mine, Get Yours" is a fucking bop about getting your own, and I LOVE IT.

But these aren't the only reasons why Stripped is so goddamn iconic. The album also touched on important emotional and societal issues – like the domestic violence she experienced and witnessed as a kid in "I'm OK"...

mqdefault.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-form

youtube.com

... and the emotional manipulation she faced in a previous relationship in "Walk Away".

And then came songs like "Fighter", the powerful anthem to help anyone get back on track...

... and of course "Beautiful" with the overall message that it's OK to be different.

anigif_sub-buzz-18312-1508719157-1.gif?d

RCA

And when people came to criticise her about her "promiscuous" image she wasn't having a bar of it.

"When you are bold and open, artistically speaking, in music and in video, a whole bunch of people automatically feel threatened by you, especially in Middle America. That’s just the way it goes. OK, I may have been the naked-ass girl in the video, but if you look at it carefully, I’m also at the forefront, I’m in the power position, in complete command of everything and everybody around me," she said in an interview.

RCA

"When you are bold and open, artistically speaking, in music and in video, a whole bunch of people automatically feel threatened by you, especially in Middle America. That’s just the way it goes. OK, I may have been the naked-ass girl in the video, but if you look at it carefully, I’m also at the forefront, I’m in the power position, in complete command of everything and everybody around me," she said in an interview.

Oh, let's not forget the interlude, "Stripped Pt. 2".

This woman is a goddamn icon.

azlyrics.com

This woman is a goddamn icon.

Legendtina, thank you from the bottom of my heart, for the blessing that was Stripped.

A timeless classic. An important part of every teenage girl's growing up experience. An album that's still relatable to this very day.

readereater.com

A timeless classic. An important part of every teenage girl's growing up experience. An album that's still relatable to this very day.

Now no pressure or anything, but I'll just sit here and wait for the next release.

Source

1 minute ago, Kirjava said:

Actually a lot of reviews at the time of it's release were pretty negative, cuz their misogynist asses were perplexed by Dirrty's iconicness. wendy4

Queen of being ahead of her time and getting the praise for her work 15 years later. giveup1 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.