Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

havok

Why was Stripped so ahead of its time and influential?

from the outside and strictly from a business perspective, Christina's career seems to have taken a smart ish path...lbr if I / we all had the chance to make fucking bank in our 20s (I have no doubt she is absolutely set for life by now $$)  and then sit on our asses/dont get involved unless we feel like it, we.would.all.do.it

1 hour ago, Gabe. said:

from the outside and strictly from a business perspective, Christina's career seems to have taken a smart ish path...lbr if I / we all had the chance to make fucking bank in our 20s (I have no doubt she is absolutely set for life by now $$)  and then sit on our asses/dont get involved unless we feel like it, we.would.all.do.it

So true! Her career is the way it is because that’s where she wants it to be.  

@Gabe. @Agugaga I believe her broken home has had a huge impact on the way she has handled her career. She never really had a stable home, so now that she has kids she wants them to have what she didn't while growing up. She was extremely passionate about music and eager to do more back in the BTB era, she even said that she didn't want kids for a while, but then Max happened and she stopped caring about being a bad bitch/pop star.  Good for her, she's clearly happy that way but I cannot help but to be sorry about all that wasted potential. If she really tried she could've been where Bey or Pink are. Plus, her team has always sucked. 

tumblr_onk31nC0a51qac1soo2_400.gif

5 minutes ago, havok said:

@Gabe. @Agugaga I believe her broken home has had a huge impact on the way she has handled her career. She never really had a stable home, so now that she has kids she wants them to have what she didn't while growing up. She was extremely passionate about music and eager to do more back in the BTB era, she even said that she didn't want kids for a while, but then Max happened and she stopped caring about being a bad bitch/pop star.  Good for her, she's clearly happy that way but I cannot help but to be sorry about all that wasted potential. If she really tried she could've been where Bey or Pink are. Plus, her team has always sucked. 

I agree up until one point, I do think she really wanted Bionic to do well at the end of the day... which might be another reason she followed this career path. in some way I feel like that was meant to be her last big era somehow.

her team did make some very questionable choices but there is no denying she's also been lucky to have much more creative control than plenty of her peers. i'm 50/50 on that one.

2 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

I agree up until one point, I do think she really wanted Bionic to do well at the end of the day... which might be another reason she followed this career path. in some way I feel like that was meant to be her last big era somehow.

her team did make some very questionable choices but there is no denying she's also been lucky to have much more creative control than plenty of her peers. i'm 50/50 on that one.

Well, we know her marriage was falling apart during the Bionic era. It was originally scheduled for 2009 but then Burlesque happened and she had to delay it. I'm sure she wanted Bionic to be successful and she actually tried to promote but media was just out to get her, no matter what. It was literally DOA. Bionic would've been quite big if she had released it in early 2008. 

I do think this creative freedom has worked against her more than the opposite. She usually surrounds herself with yes-men, and she's friends with her team and refuses to fire them even when they are obsolete. Look at Bey, she fired everyone and her career reached new levels. She doesn't need 4 years to release a damn album, just hunt for good track, hire great professional and make them collaborate on your vision. It's not that hard. 

9 minutes ago, havok said:

Well, we know her marriage was falling apart during the Bionic era. It was originally scheduled for 2009 but then Burlesque happened and she had to delay it. I'm sure she wanted Bionic to be successful and she actually tried to promote but media was just out to get her, no matter what. It was literally DOA. Bionic would've been quite big if she had released it in early 2008. 

I do think this creative freedom has worked against her more than the opposite. She usually surrounds herself with yes-men, and she's friends with her team and refuses to fire them even when they are obsolete. Look at Bey, she fired everyone and her career reached new levels. She doesn't need 4 years to release a damn album, just hunt for good track, hire great professional and make them collaborate on your vision. It's not that hard. 

I sense there are some label issues. RCA probably wants to send her in a direction she doesn’t want to go in. If she really collaborated with Pink I’m not sure how I feel like about that brit5 . They probably think that’s a good way of getting her airplay, but there are so many better avenues they can take. They need to let her go back to R&B and she needs a male superstar on a track. Not a female. 

The Mark Ronson collabo sounds like it has the potential to be that but I have a feeling that’s not an X6 song.

But that doesn’t matter at this point tho anything from Xtina is long overdue. 

Also I think RCA is probably focusing on Pink and Justin’s new albums and told Xtina to hold off. I’m kinda glad her album didn’t come this fall, cuz that’s an easy ticket to get lost in the shuffle. 

19 hours ago, Agugaga said:

"Stripped" was just the perfect storm of everything anyone wants and needs from a pop girl album.

High quality vocals, check

Hit singles, check

Controversy, check

Memorable music videos, check

Quality deep cuts, check. 

And this is where statements like "sales don't matter in the long run" apply. Because there are diamond albums out there that don't have 1/4 the influence that this album had. 

No explain sis oprah8

3 hours ago, Nocturn said:

Ahead of its time? xtina2 

The era was great. The singles, the videos, her looks... 

She was ready to get her grown woman on, take her clothes off, and speak her mind. But what could a barely legal, former Mouseketeer have to talk about? Well, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, domestic violence and self-care for starters. While Christina isn’t the first pop star to place feminist rhetoric into pop culture, she led the charge at the beginning of the 21st century of influencing the next generation of impressionable teens who were too young for Janet and Madonna’s curriculum. 

Those are all topics that her peer started addressing years and even a decade later. xtina2

On 10/25/2017 at 4:12 AM, havok said:

Those are all topics that her peer started addressing years and even a decade later. xtina2

P!nk's Mizundastood did just that before Stripped tho.  bey2   But yes, for our generation, Stripped was the shit   xtina14   

I'm Ok, The Voice Within, Beautiful   ahs1

Although i understand why critics weren't having it. The album is messy, it feels like a compilation album sometimes but they never can, never will, can't hold us down  bey3

On 23.10.2017 at 8:26 PM, Jae said:

Yes Stripped really is that album tbh. It's impact and influence is massive.  

Who would've thought this daring and provocative girl would be dunking Oreos and lending her voice to one of the worst movies of all time just a decade later

It's so fucking sad cry5

On 24.10.2017 at 3:20 AM, Agugaga said:

I sense there are some label issues. RCA probably wants to send her in a direction she doesn’t want to go in. If she really collaborated with Pink I’m not sure how I feel like about that brit5 . They probably think that’s a good way of getting her airplay, but there are so many better avenues they can take. They need to let her go back to R&B and she needs a male superstar on a track. Not a female. 

The Mark Ronson collabo sounds like it has the potential to be that but I have a feeling that’s not an X6 song.

But that doesn’t matter at this point tho anything from Xtina is long overdue. 

Also I think RCA is probably focusing on Pink and Justin’s new albums and told Xtina to hold off. I’m kinda glad her album didn’t come this fall, cuz that’s an easy ticket to get lost in the shuffle. 

Justin hasn't released new album since 2013&it took P!nk 5 years to release 7th studio album so Christina had 2015,2016&almost whole 2017 to release the damn album dead7  She shouldn't have said a word about X6 in 2016  so we wouldn't be mad right now aretha1 Christina's just lazy&that's the reason why she hasn't released new album since 2012 dead2 Beyonce's 7th album is going to come out before X6 since Beyonce (MOTHER OF 3) has been shooting visuals since weeks/months cry9

On 10/23/2017 at 1:02 PM, Russian Roulette said:

simply it discussed topics that no other artists dared to touch, besides it served powerful vocals and visuals and daring new persona

with that album Xtina served modern day Bible

Well that's quite the exaggeration lol. 

On 10/24/2017 at 0:34 PM, Nocturn said:

Ahead of its time? xtina2 

The era was great. The singles, the videos, her looks... 

I agree. It was a thorough era.

11 hours ago, Ultra Blue said:

P!nk's Mizundastood did just that before Stripped thobey2   But yes, for our generation, Stripped was the shit   xtina14   

I'm Ok, The Voice Within, Beautiful   ahs1

Although i understand why critics weren't having it. The album is messy, it feels like a compilation album sometimes but they never can, never will, can't hold us down  bey3

I was waiting to see if someone would bring this up lol. Stripped clearly took some inspiration from Misundaztood and it doesn't help that both albums have both Linda Perry and Scott Storch involved. Redman even worked with both women in that time frame lol. Don't get me wrong, I love Stripped for what it did do and think it deserves some praise but it doesn't deserve ALL the credit. 

On 10/24/2017 at 4:12 PM, havok said:

Sure, Xtina made a whole album of this but a lot of the popular acts in that era were touching on social issues or serious topics in their work at the time (this is when the Jackson(s)/Ciccone musical influence was at it's strongest 1998-2003). I think this is the major reason why we see all the young pop acts back in the day as much more mature/sophisticated than the young pop stars now. They had fun bops but that wasn't all they were giving you.

And to be fair, the artists that Xtina's gen. were bred on weren't addressing a lot of society's ills or life's hardships until they were in their mid-late 20s.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.