Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

havok

Why was Stripped so ahead of its time and influential?

6 hours ago, Chantoya Jo Jackson said:

Sure, Xtina made a whole album of this but a lot of the popular acts in that era were touching on social issues or serious topics in their work at the time (this is when the Jackson(s)/Ciccone musical influence was at it's strongest 1998-2003). I think this is the major reason why we see all the young pop acts back in the day as much more mature/sophisticated than the young pop stars now. They had fun bops but that wasn't all they were giving you.

And to be fair, the artists that Xtina's gen. were bred on weren't addressing a lot of society's ills or life's hardships until they were in their mid-late 20s.

I was talking about Christina's peers, aka Methney, Bey, Alicia, Pink, Avril, etc. and so was the writer; he even stated that Janet/Madonna had done it. I saw you mentioned Pink, did she address all those topic as thoroughly as Xtina did? I don't know if you're agreeing with me, or not. Anyhow, Xtina was 21 when she released Stripped and 19/20 when she started creating it. xtina2

An amazing album, I'll give her that, although I don't like the whole cocky/shady attitude she had during the era.

But it's kinda sad that it's the only thing her fan base is clinging to, 15 years later, when their beloved fave is out there selling her ass to food companies and enjoying her time in LA while the remaining Fighters are playing Stripped on repeat desperatly waiting for that damn album. laughcry1

14 hours ago, havok said:

I was talking about Christina's peers, aka Methney, Bey, Alicia, Pink, Avril, etc. and so was the writer; he even stated that Janet/Madonna had done it. I saw you mentioned Pink, did she address all those topic as thoroughly as Xtina did? I don't know if you're agreeing with me, or not. Anyhow, Xtina was 21 when she released Stripped and 19/20 when she started creating it. xtina2

He didn't say anything about thoroughness. He flat out said none of her peers were broaching any social or serious topics in their music until years later which isn't true. I said most popular acts and that includes young pop stars, obviously. All the women you mentioned (with the exception of maybe Britney) had a least a couple of songs that dealt with issues. 

6 hours ago, Onyx said:

An amazing album, I'll give her that, although I don't like the whole cocky/shady attitude she had during the era.

But it's kinda sad that it's the only thing her fan base is clinging to, 15 years later, when their beloved fave is out there selling her ass to food companies and enjoying her time in LA while the remaining Fighters are playing Stripped on repeat desperatly waiting for that damn album. laughcry1

Your name is Onyx and ur avi is a gif of Britney circa 2004. Nawt u talking about others clinging wendy4

3 minutes ago, Agugaga said:

Your name is Onyx and ur avi is a gif of Britney circa 2004. Nawt u talking about others clinging wendy4

Don't try it Agu with that Stripped avi.

And Onyx doesn't reference the OHT, I just love that particular precious stone, especially Red Onyx it's cool and faded. 

20 hours ago, Chantoya Jo Jackson said:

He didn't say anything about thoroughness. He flat out said none of her peers were broaching any social or serious topics in their music until years later which isn't true. I said most popular acts and that includes young pop stars, obviously. All the women you mentioned (with the exception of maybe Britney) had a least a couple of songs that dealt with issues. 

I am tho. And I'm happy to hear all the examples of such ladies and their musical efforts with strong social content. A couple of songs =/= an entire album that addresses multiple social issues at once and throughly. xtina2

9 hours ago, havok said:

I am tho. And I'm happy to hear all the examples of such ladies and their musical efforts with strong social content. A couple of songs =/= an entire album that addresses multiple social issues at once and throughlyxtina2

I never said it did lol (I went over this in my initial reply). I was refuting your claim that none of Xtina's peers ever sang about serious things until years later. 

17 hours ago, Chantoya Jo Jackson said:

I never said it did lol (I went over this in my initial reply). I was refuting your claim that none of Xtina's peers ever sang about serious things until years later. 

Yeah, and I'm still waiting for those receipts. 

----------

Anyhow, here's Billboard praising Stripped and acknowledging its influence on this entire new generation of popstars. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8014854/christina-aguilera-stripped-anniversary-influence?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

An iconic, remembered and influential album. 

tumblr_onk31nC0a51qac1soo2_400.gif

3 hours ago, havok said:

----------

Anyhow, here's Billboard praising Stripped and acknowledging its influence on this entire new generation of popstars. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8014854/christina-aguilera-stripped-anniversary-influence?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Burning trolls flawlessly

8664288_orig.gif

3 hours ago, havok said:

----------

Some Songs...

(1999) Eve - Let There Be Eve: Love Is Blind (Domestic violence)

(2000) Britney Spears - Oops... I Did It Again: Lucky (Depression)

(2001) Destiny's Child - Survivor: The Story of Beauty (Child sexual abuse), Independent Women (Female empowerment), Happy Face (Coping with depression)

(2001) P!nk - Missundaztood: Family Portrait (the effects of divorce on children), Just Like A Pill (drug abuse)

(2001) Alicia Keys - Songs in A Minor: The Life (Poverty)

(2002) t.a.t.u. - 200 k/h in the Wrong Lane: All The Things She Said (having to hide lesbian affair, struggling with self)

(2002) Avril Lavigne - I'm With You (Homelessness)

7 hours ago, Chantoya Jo Jackson said:

Some Songs...

(1999) Eve - Let There Be Eve: Love Is Blind (Domestic violence)

(2000) Britney Spears - Oops... I Did It Again: Lucky (Depression)

(2001) Destiny's Child - Survivor: The Story of Beauty (Child sexual abuse), Independent Women (Female empowerment), Happy Face (Coping with depression)

(2001) P!nk - Missundaztood: Family Portrait (the effects of divorce on children), Just Like A Pill (drug abuse)

(2001) Alicia Keys - Songs in A Minor: The Life (Poverty)

(2002) t.a.t.u. - 200 k/h in the Wrong Lane: All The Things She Said (having to hide lesbian affair, struggling with self)

(2002) Avril Lavigne - I'm With You (Homelessness)

I wasn't aware Eve was a popstar, let alone one from the bubblegum era. I'll let DC pass, even though it's a group and not pop because Bey cowrote those songs. Pink, check. Alicia, check. The rest were released after Stripped. And kii at you even mentioning Britney when she didn't even write the song. 

So in conclusion, Christina was the ONLY one that addressed multiple social issues in one single album in multiple songs, and did so early in her career, after being a bubblegum princess. We love an ahead of her time queen. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.