Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Courtney Love

@janet stans, help me get into her

So I know a couple of Janet's hits and really liked them which made me decide to buy her albums from Control through to 20 Y.O. Can ya'll let me know what her best and worst albums are and where to start? Also want to know if it's worth my money buying the first two because from what I've gathered she has distanced herself from them.

5 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

So I know a couple of Janet's hits and really liked them which made me decide to buy her albums from Control through to 20 Y.O. Can ya'll let me know what her best and worst albums are and where to start? Also want to know if it's worth my money buying the first two because from what I've gathered she has distanced herself from them.

Her best and most easy to get into imo:

• "Velvet Rope"
  • "Rhythm Nation"
  • "Control"

Good but rather acquired taste:

• "janet." - it's very 90s...very heavy on New Jack Swing
  • "Damita Jo" - Very slow and mellow. It's a good starting point if you're a fan of classical RnB songs.

Hit and miss:

• "All for You" - Very high highs, very low lows.
  • "Unbreakable" - Rather boring overall but it has some bops.

Terrible:

• "20 Y.O"
  • "Discipline"
8 minutes ago, LaToya Jackson said:

• "Velvet Rope"
  • "Rhythm Nation"
  • "Control"

• "Damita Jo" - Very slow and mellow. It's a good starting point if you're a fan of classical RnB songs.

Hit and miss:

Terrible:

• "20 Y.O"
  • "Discipline"

I'm a big fan of early 90's new jack swing so hopefully I'd be into janet. (btw is it meant to be read as 'Janet Period'?). I've been told before The Velvet Rope is her magnum opus too. I noticed you left her first two albums out jj2 

Don't buy her first 2 albums, they don't exist in JJ universe. fall1

Her best album, both critics and fans agree is The Velvet Rope.

Control is a short, cohesive, almost every song on it was a single and you probably heard it somewhere.

Rhythm Nation is similar to Control, but it's the album when she starts talking about social themes, making 'meaningfull' music, it's a bit harder sound than Control.

janet. is very sensual, it's the birth of Sexnet. It's very 90s, very r&b and hip hop influenced.

The Velvet Rope is MASTERPIECE. No other explanation needed.

All For You is very different from TVR (TVR was her Rated R, AFY is Loud-esque). It's poppy and dance-ish, mixed with her recognizable r&b sound. I never really got inot AFY, but Son of a Gun is on it, and that song SLAYS.

Damita Jo is more r&b than AFY, it has that classic early 00s r&b and hip hop sound. It focuses on love and sex ofc. I love it!

20 Y.O. is an album that most of her stans hate, but I really love it. It's the same thing as Hard Candy, a bandwagon hate, everybody hated Janet after the SB. It used to be my favourite album. Sound is similar to Damita Jo. If Damita Jo was Sexnet, this is Whorenet fall1 The bops on 20 y.o. are >>>>>>>>>>. But the lows are jj1 So Excited is my favourite Janet song, maybe that's why I love this album so much. 

Discipline is different from her other 00s albums, cause it came out during the explosion of electropop (the Blackout impact). It's nice, it has some bops, it gave us Rock With U and amazing Feedback choreography.

Unbreakable is boring.

That's it from me.

9 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

I'm a big fan of early 90's new jack swing so hopefully I'd be into janet. (btw is it meant to be read as 'Janet Period'?). I've been told before The Velvet Rope is her magnum opus too. I noticed you left her first two albums out jj2 

Her first two are simply not good or important. She has never really acknowledged them.

Well, I guess janet. is just right for you then! I guess it is read as just "Janet" but stylized as "janet.".

The best tracks from All for You are the title track, Someone to Call My Lover and SON OF A GUN! If you need any of the b-sides, single emixes, edits or other versions feel free to contact me. jj2 I have my collection almost complete up until Damita Jo.

"And On and On" and "70s Love Groove" are b-sides from janet. and they are better than some of the actual tracks from that album. fall1 

18 minutes ago, Maryanne said:

Don't buy her first 2 albums, they don't exist in JJ universe. fall1

Her best album, both critics and fans agree is The Velvet Rope.

Control is a short, cohesive, almost every song on it was a single and you probably heard it somewhere.

Rhythm Nation is similar to Control, but it's the album when she starts talking about social themes, making 'meaningfull' music, it's a bit harder sound than Control.

janet. is very sensual, it's the birth of Sexnet. It's very 90s, very r&b and hip hop influenced.

The Velvet Rope is MASTERPIECE. No other explanation needed.

All For You is very different from TVR (TVR was her Rated R, AFY is Loud-esque). It's poppy and dance-ish, mixed with her recognizable r&b sound. I never really got inot AFY, but Son of a Gun is on it, and that song SLAYS.

Damita Jo is more r&b than AFY, it has that classic early 00s r&b and hip hop sound. It focuses on love and sex ofc. I love it!

20 Y.O. is an album that most of her stans hate, but I really love it. It's the same thing as Hard Candy, a bandwagon hate, everybody hated Janet after the SB. It used to be my favourite album. Sound is similar to Damita Jo. If Damita Jo was Sexnet, this is Whorenet fall1 The bops on 20 y.o. are >>>>>>>>>>. But the lows are jj1 So Excited is my favourite Janet song, maybe that's why I love this album so much. 

Discipline is different from her other 00s albums, cause it came out during the explosion of electropop (the Blackout impact). It's nice, it has some bops, it gave us Rock With U and amazing Feedback choreography.

Unbreakable is boring.

That's it from me.

So you could essentially sum up her work as a Pop friendly Hip Hop/R&B? I'm not the biggest fan of the genre and was attracted to Janet because she has a couple dance songs in her repertoire and nothing too hardcore R&B.

Love the 80s/90s sonic palettes so I'm expecting to enjoy Control through to TVR well enough but it's her 00s stuff I keep hearing mixed reviews on. Maybe I'd like Discipline because I like trashy electropop jj3 

1 hour ago, Courtney Love said:

So you could essentially sum up her work as a Pop friendly Hip Hop/R&B? I'm not the biggest fan of the genre and was attracted to Janet because she has a couple dance songs in her repertoire and nothing too hardcore R&B.

Love the 80s/90s sonic palettes so I'm expecting to enjoy Control through to TVR well enough but it's her 00s stuff I keep hearing mixed reviews on. Maybe I'd like Discipline because I like trashy electropop jj3 

Yes jj3

If you're a fan of trashy electropop, Discipline is just for you.

I'm sure you'll enjoy her 90s albums tho (I count Rhythm Nation there too, because it was released in late 1989, and she kept releasing singles till 1991).

17 hours ago, LaToya Jackson said:

• "Velvet Rope"
  • "Rhythm Nation"
  • "Control"

Hit and miss:

Terrible:

• "20 Y.O"
  • "Discipline"

THIS. ALL OF THIS. Plus, appreciate the incredible "Together Again":

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.