Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

LittleDudeNT5

Should Mariah Do Different Covers?

Mariah has always said that her favorite genres to listen to were gospel, soul, R&B, and hip-hop, yet nearly all of her cover songs have been typical rock songs.

I sort of always had this theory that after I'll Be There (which was Mariah's first cover) did well on the charts, Tommy pushed to have Mariah record cover tracks for her following albums. However, unlike I'll Be There, which was a soul song, Without You and Open Arms were rock remakes. Despite Mariah saying she had an affinity for the originals, I always got the feeling that Tommy chose the tracks – especially Open Arms, which was probably chosen after Without You did so well overseas.

However, even after she divorced Tommy and left Sony, she continued to remake rock songs for her albums. Against All Odds, Bringing On the Heartbreak, I Wanna Know What Love Is. The only true exception is The Beautiful Ones – and, one could argue, One More Try, but Michael was primarily a pop artist.

Mariah has done amazing live covers of old soul and R&B songs like Don't Play That Song (Aretha), You and I (Stevie Wonder), and If Only You Knew (Patti). Mariah worked with Carole King and wrote lyrics for a jazz instrumental for Emotions, so I feel like these genres are very ingrained in her.

Do you think Mariah should cover different kinds of songs? Would you like to hear her do a cover album of old hits and standards? Discuss oprah6

Any song she covers she makes her own. It's very interesting to see her arrangement and what not so I'm here for any cover!

51 minutes ago, Mamacita said:

I always wanted a cover of You and I, or at least a studio version of it. 

I've loved the concept of her doing covers, but I feel like we're never going to get one, cover albums are about as fashionable as shoulderpads rip4

yes! Also some of her other live covers Don't Play That Song for Me cry9 Just Be Good to Me cry9  If You Only Knew/Somehwere Over the Rainbow cry9 Hopelessly Devoted to You cry9 

I feel like we might still get a cover on MC15 though!

Also I don't think those were Tommy's song choices, he might've pushed her to do more covers and maybe she selected a few and Tommy picked one i don't know, but I feel like they were genuinely Mariah's choices.

2 hours ago, Sylk said:

Also I don't think those were Tommy's song choices, he might've pushed her to do more covers and maybe she selected a few and Tommy picked one i don't know, but I feel like they were genuinely Mariah's choices.

I can see them being her choices, because she does seem fond of them when she talked about them (and doesn't seem to dread performing some of them). Although after Without You did so well, I feel like Tommy might have pushed her to do covers of a similar nature (hence Open Arms) – like you said. kylie1 

3 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

I can see them being her choices, because she does seem fond of them when she talked about them (and doesn't seem to dread performing some of them). Although after Without You did so well, I feel like Tommy might have pushed her to do covers of a similar nature (hence Open Arms) – like you said. kylie1 

I lowkey feel like she enjoys covering a song every now and then! She did continue covering after leaving Tommy/Sony.

1 hour ago, Sylk said:

I lowkey feel like she enjoys covering a song every now and then! She did continue covering after leaving Tommy/Sony.

Yeah I definitely don't think she doesn't like it. It just seems a little odd to me the types of songs she covers

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.