Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

LittleDudeNT5

"Most Intimate LP of [Her] Career" – Rolling Stone

I'm sorry but what dead2

I'm warmed up to the album a lot, but I wouldn't call this album "deep" or "intimate" (unless Rob here literally meant physical intimacy) Sometimes I get the feeling that music reviewers (especially Rolling Stone) will say stuff just because. Sometimes I wonder if they even pay attention to what they're listening to.

This brings up a gripe I had about the album. I think this album really isn't all that emotionally deep or vulnerable than her past. There are some good sultry moments here and there, but I found most of the emotions on the album to be pretty "on the surface". Did anyone else feel this? This is by no means saying it's a bad album or anything, but I'm just bringing it up to see if anyone else noted or felt this. 

But otherwise, the album has gotten a ton of other really good reviews. My favorite, tbh:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

Delicate, King of my Heart, Getaway Car go a little deep and alot of it is about how she is perceived by others. I feel some moments where its deep in emotions. Emotions dont have to be vulnerable to be deep. People can have other emotions too.

Obviously there are emotions involved. As most songs, do. There are definitely a few emotional moments, but there are a lot of songs that are kept at the surface. So, I wouldn't consider the album her most intimate. Would you? 

Yeah it’s definitely not as deep or emotional as Speak Now or Red, which I wasn’t expecting anyway. I do think lyrically it’s a progression from 1989 which was so contrived and robotic + also has a few more emotional tracks.

Anyone saying it’s her most emotional record is full of bullshit rip4 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Yeah it’s definitely not as deep or emotional as Speak Now or Red, which I wasn’t expecting anyway. I do think lyrically it’s a progression from 1989 which was so contrived and robotic + also has a few more emotional tracks.

Anyone saying it’s her most emotional record is full of bullshit rip4 

You think so? aretha1 I mean, I know Bad Blood and Shake It Off are travesties, but I think the lyrics on Reputation are bit more contrived than on 1989. I also think there are some more lyrical lows on Rep, but that might just be my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

You think so? aretha1 I mean, I know Bad Blood and Shake It Off are travesties, but I think the lyrics on Reputation are bit more contrived than on 1989. I also think there are some more lyrical lows on Rep, but that might just be my opinion. 

I can see why you’d think that. I just feel like some of the lyrics are smarter I guess? There’s definitely low points like LWYMMD, Gorgeous though. I guess I just feel like the album is less school girl’d than 1989 aretha1 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

I can see why you’d think that. I just feel like some of the lyrics are smarter I guess? There’s definitely low points like LWYMMD, Gorgeous though. I guess I just feel like the album is less school girl’d than 1989 aretha1 

Hmm, maybe they're pretty on-par with each other. They have both bad and good lyrical moments, just in different ways? aretha1 Rep definitely has some shining lyrical moments. Besides a few songs Gorgeous, it's still has interesting lyrics than most modern pop albums – like all of her work.

12 minutes ago, Anna-wa said:

They did. Speak Now was 1000000 times more intimate than this.

more or less yes. she wrote that album by herself but with this she had more to say.

6 hours ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

Delicate, King of my Heart, Getaway Car go a little deep and alot of it is about how she is perceived by others. I feel some moments where its deep in emotions. Emotions dont have to be vulnerable to be deep. People can have other emotions too.

This.

I think maybe they mean she admits to her faults and opens up more in some aspects (although I haven't heard Speak Now really)

It’s definitely more intimate and emotional then 1989.

i think part of the reason it’s getting good critique is that she has peeled back her perfect girl image on this. She admits to doing bad here, she owns that’s shes an adult and drinks and has sex, she reveals that she’s hiding things. I can see how that could be more intimate then anything she’s done before,, it’s more relatable 

2 minutes ago, RepuTAYtion said:

i think part of the reason it’s getting good critique is that she has peeled back her perfect girl image on this. She admits to doing bad here, she owns that’s shes an adult and drinks and has sex, she reveals that she’s hiding things. I can see how that could be more intimate then anything she’s done before,, it’s more relatable 

That's true.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.