Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Infrared

Gaga and Biden to open trauma centers for abused women

Amid the numerous sexual assault and harassment scandals rocking Hollywood and politics, Lady Gaga and Joe Biden could soon be partnering on a groundbreaking initiative to provide support to victims around across the country.

“Women who are abused end up having long-term physical and physiological problems,” the former vice president said in response to an audience question about rape on college campuses at Glamour‘s Women of the Year Summit in New York City on Monday. “I’m working with Lady Gaga now… we [want to] set up trauma centers where women can go to get the long-term help they need to deal with these crises… We finally are recognizing the long-term impacts on the health of women and men who’ve been abused. It’s the next great frontier I want to be part of.”

Representatives for Biden and Gaga did not immediately return EW’s request for comment.

Gaga previously teamed with Biden for the It’s On Us campaign, which launched under the Obama administration but is now a nonprofit organization and is aimed at educating young people about the realities of sexual assault on college campuses and giving them the tools to intervene when they can.

Biden and Gaga started working together with regards to raising awareness on sexual assault after he introduced her performance of the Oscar-nominated song “Til It Happens To You” — inspired by Gaga’s personal experience with sexual assault and co-written with Diane Warren for the campus rape documentary The Hunting Ground–at the 88th Academy Awards in 2016.

http://ew.com/music/2017/11/13/lady-gaga-joe-biden-sexual-assault-survivor-centers/

There are already over 1,500 women's shelters in the US. There are less than 50 for men, despite men making up sizeable portion of the domestic violence victims. It's always great to open any of these shelters, but I thought I'd point out this important bit of information.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, in the United States 4.8 million women suffer intimate partner related physical assaults and rapes and 2.9 million men are victims of physical assault from their partners.[27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_in_the_United_States#Statistics

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.