Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

YoungForever

Greatest female comback? Brit xMadge xMimi

Greatest comeback by a female artist  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which one was the biggest?

• Madonna - Confessions On A Dance Florr
    • Mariah Carey - The Emancipation Of Mimi
    • Britney Spears - Circus

These 3 women have been able to come back in the spotlight with a huge punch after a decline in success and popularity among the general public. All of them saw big underperformances and huge backlash from the media (Mariah not as much but still) but they came back as strong as ever. Reinvented, confident they managed to dominate the charts and headlines across the globe. It's the case for: 

Confessions On A Dance Floor for Madonna

3fdbeb34.jpg

The Emancipation Of Mimi for Mariah Carey:

4254aeab5e2cd0cd6271c124945a8eaa.jpg

And Circus for Britney Spears:

600x600bf.jpg

They are arguable the biggest comebacks made by female musicians. They were all huge commercial successes and amongst their most memorable works. But which one is the greatest? 

All legends but Madonna > Mariah > Britney

Madonna's was the most impressive cause it was in the 3rd decade of her career, Mariah next cause she spawned huge mega hit singles from the album and Britney well she's a legend!

I want to say Madonna and I voted for her but now I'm thinking about it it's really Britney.  I realize that Mariah had two flop eras and a ton of crazy press and personal problems that she overcame, but I remember that, and I don't remember it being nearly as surreal or insane as what happened to Britney.  Maybe Circus isn't the best depiction of all that she came back from, but comparing her today to how it was when that album first came out, I think she's the correct answer.

Madonna. 

Not only has she managed to come back once but TWICE.

She managed to repair her severly damaged image TWICE. Not through gimmicks but simply through the quality of her music. Ray of Light and COADF therefore rightfully deserve a spot in her TOP3. They were SO GOOD they made people forget about the destructive Erotica and AL eras. She had universal WW appeal during both eras.

Not only that BUT she was still banned from mainstream radio in the US. Still hit #7 and went #1 everywhere else at the age of 47 and a mother of two.

Your fave will never be a legend unless they achieve THIS.

Voted for Britney because I stan her and her comeback was more meaningful to me and the way she hitted the rock bottom was way different than Mariah and Madonna, none of them was because of personal causes. That being said, I would say Britney > Madonna > Mariah

Trying to think about this objectively, I want to say Britney. She had a really massive, public break-down. In-between 2004 – 2008 she busted her knee, had a highly publicized marriage and divorce. Custody battle with her kids. Lived a "party life" with Lindsay and the like. She was hospitalized. The entire mess of 2007 (shaving her head, the umbrella, the VMA performance). People really thought she lost it and she was done for. She was able to come back with Circus (and later, Femme Fatale) and earn the sympathy back from the public. It's a shock she was able to get success.

Second place I would give to Mariah. Glitter was panned and flopped, and she was hospitalized for exhaustion. She released an album that flopped & her voice was kind of weak. People were saying she was over. But it honestly wasn't that big of a breakdown or low point. Emancipation/We Belong Together came around and proved people still liked her and she was still popular. 

Madonna last because, even though Confessions is probably the best and biggest album of the three, she already experienced several backlashes and comebacks beforehand, so it's not that surprising that she was able to accomplish it once more. Her "fallout" before Confessions was pretty short (2003/2004 with American Life). And even though it was her least successful era (Erotica/Bedtimes Stories still had #1s or at least top 10s), like I said, it didn't last that long and she was able to bounce back fairly quickly. Also, there was no big "breakdown". 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.