Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Agugaga

More legendary: I Will Always Love You vs My Heart Will Go On

More legendary   

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which iconic song is more legendary

• I Will Always Love You
    • My Heart Will Go On

4 hours ago, *Starlight* said:

Who said that? wendy4

Girl I live for Whitney but let’s not sit here and act like her catalog wasn’t more popular after her death. Same with Michael. Prince. Etc. No shade just tea bey2 

I guess it's non biased to say that IWALY is bigger in the US while MHWGO is bigger internationally (esp in Europe). I mean, I have met tons of people in my life who are not familiar with Whitney or her signature song believe it or not, I have yet to see someone not instantly recognizing MHWGO when the melody kicks in, the flute alone lmao, come on, who doesn't know that

8 hours ago, Jjang said:

A 2017 something got talent audition received 52 million views, a random 2017 Celine performance got 6.5 million, her BB peformance got tons of WW coverage + attention. And wait till she dies lol.

"I Will Always Love You" is the best selling song by a female artist in history. 

2 hours ago, Jjang said:

I guess it's non biased to say that IWALY is bigger in the US while MHWGO is bigger internationally (esp in Europe). I mean, I have met tons of people in my life who are not familiar with Whitney or her signature song believe it or not, I have yet to see someone not instantly recognizing MHWGO when the melody kicks in, the flute alone lmao, come on, who doesn't know that

Well, actually, in the UK IWALY is the 2nd biggest selling song by a female of all time, while MHWGO is 4th. Additionally, IWALY was also bigger in Australia, Japan, Italy, and New Zealand!

Whitney-whitney-houston-30753411-260-183

9 hours ago, Agugaga said:

Girl I live for Whitney but let’s not sit here and act like her catalog wasn’t more popular after her death. Same with Michael. Prince. Etc. No shade just tea bey2 

I thought you said it bacme more legendary BECAUSE of her death, not after.

7 hours ago, Bionic Monster said:

Well, actually, in the UK IWALY is the 2nd biggest selling song by a female of all time, while MHWGO is 4th. Additionally, IWALY was also bigger in Australia, Japan, Italy, and New Zealand!

Whitney-whitney-houston-30753411-260-183

Their sales are extremely close in the UK, Celine will easily pass her when she dies. It’s like a matter of less than 10k sales, probably boosted by Whitney’s death. From what i can see MHWGO is bigger in Italy? It sold x4 more in Germany and France, way bigger in Canada, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland etc... 

I hate both songs but I cannot deny that IWALY is a better song lyrically, musically and vocally - whoever sings it jj1 

Meanwhile, My Hit Will Overshadow My Career is dated, cheesy and attached to a basic film that's overrated jj1 

5 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

I hate both songs but I cannot deny that IWALY is a better song lyrically, musically and vocally - whoever sings it jj1 

Meanwhile, My Hit Will Overshadow My Career is dated, cheesy and attached to a basic film that's overrated jj1 

bitch at least Celine has a hit at that level. Im looking at your stan badges and i see no one with a hit or career as successful as her's anna1

Just now, *Starlight* said:

bitch at least Celine has a hit at that level. Im looking at your stan badges and i see no one with a hit or career as successful as her's anna1

ABBA is there queen jj2 

5 hours ago, Jjang said:

Their sales are extremely close in the UK, Celine will easily pass her when she dies. It’s like a matter of less than 10k sales, probably boosted by Whitney’s death. From what i can see MHWGO is bigger in Italy? It sold x4 more in Germany and France, way bigger in Canada, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland etc... 

IWALY- 1.638m

MHWGO-  1.58m

Almost a 60k difference. And by the time Celine dies "sales" will not even exist anymore. It'll either be streaming or some new medium.

Oh, and speaking of streaming: IWALY has 512m views while the two most popular videos of MHWGO (from her official account that's a performance from her Vegas show and a fan upload of the video) COMBINED come out to 153m viewslmfao2

12 hours ago, Bionic Monster said:

IWALY- 1.638m

MHWGO-  1.58m

Almost a 60k difference. And by the timeeline dies "sales" will not even exist anymore. It'll either be streaming or some new medium.

Oh, and speaking of streaming: IWALY has 512m views while the two most popular videos of MHWGO (from her official account that's a performance from her Vegas show and a fan upload of the video) COMBINED come out to 153m viewslmfao2

1,681,023 is the most recently reported number for MHWGO.

The song has no official authorized upload, only a live performance which is not the same as the actual audio / video. In terms of Spotify plays once Celine passes she will automatically spearhead to the top of all the playlists and that will give her a massive boost (look at Prince and Bowie as most recent examples) and MHWGO will surprass IWALY. Do you think if Whitney didn't die she would be able to get 100m+ views on a 10's live performance aretha1 The answer is no, if you're wondering. bey2

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

The song has no official authorized upload, only a live performance which is not the same as the actual audio / video. In terms of Spotify plays once Celine passes she will automatically spearhead to the top of all the playlists and that will give her a massive boost (look at Prince and Bowie as most recent examples) and MHWGO will surprass IWALY. Do you think if Whitney didn't die she would be able to get 100m+ views on a 10's live performance aretha1 The answer is no, if you're wondering. bey2

The number I posted is from the Official Charts website and was from April of this year, and I highly doubt a song from 1997 has sold so many copies in 7 months. Where are you getting this number?

And the whole "when Celine dies" thing is such a ridiculous argumentlmfao2 Like, by that time Spotify may not even EXIST, some other service will overtake it or streaming will become obsolete and another platform will take over. Plus, even if it does, who's to say if Celine's death will have as much impact on her catalogue as Whitney's did on her's? Whitney was undeniably the more relevant public figure.

Either way, just stop trying to play fortune teller and focus on the facts we have now: IWALY is bigger in streaming, sales, and overall impact.

On 11/20/2017 at 3:05 AM, Jjang said:

Opinions of people who chose to live under a rock do not count. if you don't know who whitney is then you probably just woke up from a coma, young af or sth! IWALY is literally inescapable, i hear it in literally every wedding/funeral, not to mention it is one of the heavily-covered songs in pop music's history,  the fuck? Whitney-whitney-houston-30753411-260-183

But to be honest, your argument makes sense, it is just the conclusion that is not that accurate, so i will kind of touch on many things you have mentioned and hopefully we can get a clearer picture..

MHWGO is more known in europe because celine sang in french and english so she has quite a diverse fanbase compared to whitney [since CD catered to different international demographics simultaneously, and she wasn't kept in a R&B box like WH], but this didn't affect whitney that much seeing how whitney's cultural impact was perfectly international, she wasn't your typical local singer, excuse you she arguably sold more albums with way less albums in her discography than Celine who has far more studio albums, both in english and french i might add, add that to the receipt @Bionic Monster provided stating how IWALY has bigger sales, streams and impact than MHWGO. 

1 hour ago, BEAUX said:

Opinions of people who chose to live under a rock do not count. if you don't know who whitney is then you probably just woke up from a coma, young af or sth! IWALY is literally inescapable, i hear it in literally every wedding/funeral, not to mention it is one of the heavily-covered songs in pop music's history,  the fuck? Whitney-whitney-houston-30753411-260-183

But to be honest, your argument makes sense, it is just the conclusion that is not that accurate, so i will kind of touch on many things you have mentioned and hopefully we can get a clearer picture..

MHWGO is more known in europe because celine sang in french and english so she has quite a diverse fanbase compared to whitney [since CD catered to different international demographics simultaneously, and she wasn't kept in a R&B box like WH], but this didn't affect whitney that much seeing how whitney's cultural impact was perfectly international, she wasn't your typical local singer, excuse you she arguably sold more albums with way less albums in her discography than Celine who has far more studio albums, both in english and french i might add, add that to the receipt @Bionic Monster provided stating how IWALY has bigger sales, streams and impact than MHWGO. 

This to be honest. She released half of what Celine did, withb way less promotion yet she still sold with in the 200 million record zone. Damn

3 hours ago, Hylia said:

This is as bad as someone asking who Whitney is fall8 

i was only joking, i know Dancing Queen as much as the next person

5 hours ago, Jjang said:

Has Celine tho? No shade but for real.

11 hours ago, Hylia said:

This is as bad as someone asking who Whitney is fall8 

He must belong to some backwater tribe that society and taste has not yet discovered jj2 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.