Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Sylk

How is Reputation aging for you?

well  

24 members have voted

1. 1. well answer it

• Fine wine straight from italy!
    • milk

4 hours ago, Anna-wa said:

How is Getaway Car ANY of those things?

Getaway Car is 100% classic Taylor writing. The reason people like it so much is because of how descriptive it is, the same reason people like All Too Well. Because you can FEEL what she's thinking. You can SEE where she is. Songwriting like All Too Well and Getaway Car plugs your five senses into what Taylor was going through when she wrote those songs.

Yes, the concept of "I wanted to leave him so I used you as a rebound, and then I wanted to leave you" may sound try-hard on paper but it's not the concept people are in love with. It's Taylor's LYRICISM. It's Taylor's ability to paint a picture and put us in that moment, whether we like that moment or not.

I fully grant you all that, but to me All Too Well is affecting and moving, whereas Getaway Car sounds affected and flippant.  The scene-building and narrative power is 100% intact, but the whole package to me just falls apart in the context of the melody (which sounds like Katy from a few eras back to me), and her vocal, which is one of the only ones on the album I don't care for.  Aside from all that, and I know this isn't fair, but I find it really hard to overlook the moral relativism of the lyrics.  Maybe that just wrecked the rest of the song for me.  But again, I think you're right in what you said about the effect of the lyrics, whatever the content.

It's not as bad as IDSB, though--which is awful lyrically and will sound dated in a few months.  

1 hour ago, Satori said:

Aside from all that, and I know this isn't fair, but I find it really hard to overlook the moral relativism of the lyrics.  Maybe that just wrecked the rest of the song for me.

Hey, it's a fair statement. I mean, I can't ignore how cringey the lyrics to Gorgeous are no matter how hard I try so. shrug1 Sometimes it's just hard to ignore the lyrics.

However, for ME, Getaway Car's lyricism is so good that it helps me ignore what she's actually saying... (As weird as that sounds.)

2 hours ago, Anna-wa said:

Hey, it's a fair statement. I mean, I can't ignore how cringey the lyrics to Gorgeous are no matter how hard I try so. shrug1 Sometimes it's just hard to ignore the lyrics.

However, for ME, Getaway Car's lyricism is so good that it helps me ignore what she's actually saying... (As weird as that sounds.)

No I know what you mean! 😄

And it’s sad that Gorgeous’ lyrics are the way they are. I’m actually quite fond of it now but I hated it when it dropped. It’s not without its faults, but it’s an oddly comforting song to me. It just sounds warm and happy and I love how understated it is. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.