Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Philip

Reverse racism is real

53 minutes ago, Kenya said:

this thread is a mess rip2 

anyway, it isn't racism, and the black community has every right to want a black recording artist to perform a tribute to a legendary black artist. 

Downplaying her efforts even before she performed is prejudicial um1 it’s one thing to want representation, but it’s another thing to put other people down in order to get it

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

Downplaying her efforts even before she performed is prejudicial um1 it’s one thing to want representation, but it’s another thing to put other people down in order to get it

The root of the issue is not specifically about Christina, though unfortunately she was subjected to awful things to be said.

But for non black people to say something along the lines of "well i dont see why they're upset because Christina is super talented" is missing the point entirely. 

You said yourself that theres no relevant black singer that could've done as well as Christina. Does that not sound problematic to you? There are PLENTY of relevant black artists in the industry today who are incredibly talented and could have as good of a job as Christina. Many in this thread even pointed out how lackluster her performance was. I also doubt they picked Christina because of her relevance ny12 

7 minutes ago, Kenya said:

The root of the issue is not specifically about Christina, though unfortunately she was subjected to awful things to be said.

But for non black people to say something along the lines of "well i dont see why they're upset because Christina is super talented" is missing the point entirely. 

You said yourself that theres no relevant black singer that could've done as well as Christina. Does that not sound problematic to you? There are PLENTY of relevant black artists in the industry today who are incredibly talented and could have as good of a job as Christina. Many in this thread even pointed out how lackluster her performance was. I also doubt they picked Christina because of her relevance ny12 

I was only saying black because they preferred someone black to do it, not because it would sound problematic ny12 

And of course talent and relevance were a factor, otherwise a church singer would’ve done it too ny12 

I know this is not a specific situation regarding Xtina, but the way it’s being done is awful and inappropriate and totally prejudicial because she was picked by WHITNEY’s family ove Brandy or whoever (who also would never do justice to those hard songs).

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

I was only saying black because they preferred someone black to do it, not because it would sound problematic ny12 

And of course talent and relevance were a factor, otherwise a church singer would’ve done it too ny12 

I know this is not a specific situation regarding Xtina, but the way it’s being done is awful and inappropriate and totally prejudicial because she was picked by WHITNEY’s family ove Brandy or whoever (who also would never do justice to those hard songs).

Yes, because Whitney is black. That's why they preferred someone black. Is it not problematic that you don't feel there are any relevant black singers that could've done as well as Christina, was what I was asking. Is it not problematic in a country of nearly 350,000,000 there is not one relevant black singer capable of performing a tribute to Whitney?

The backlash should be directed towards the AMAs and those involved (including Christina to a certain extent). I get that she's your fav, and she shouldn't be drag for filth more than she already has, but it most certainly isn't racist. 

Whitney Houston was an icon and a pioneer for black women in the music industry during a time where black people were subjected to systemic, violent, and deadly versions of racism. She, along with Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Donna Summer and other black female artists paved the way for the many, many more successful black artists we have today. So, for the AMAs to announce a white woman was performing and not a prominent black woman can and did cause a lot of people to become justifiably upset. 

8 minutes ago, Kenya said:

Yes, because Whitney is black. That's why they preferred someone black. Is it not problematic that you don't feel there are any relevant black singers that could've done as well as Christina, was what I was asking. Is it not problematic in a country of nearly 350,000,000 there is not one relevant black singer capable of performing a tribute to Whitney?

The backlash should be directed towards the AMAs and those involved (including Christina to a certain extent). I get that she's your fav, and she shouldn't be drag for filth more than she already has, but it most certainly isn't racist. 

Whitney Houston was an icon and a pioneer for black women in the music industry during a time where black people were subjected to systemic, violent, and deadly versions of racism. She, along with Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Donna Summer and other black female artists paved the way for the many, many more successful black artists we have today. So, for the AMAs to announce a white woman was performing and not a prominent black woman can and did cause a lot of people to become justifiably upset. 

Thank you

This just reminds me Viola Davis speech at the Emmy's 2015: "The only thing that separates a woman of color from anyone else is opportunity. You cannot win an Emmy for roles that simply are not there"

And that basically applies to everything, even for a simple tribute performance. That's what black people are talking about and that's why they have full right to complaint. ZaWphH.gif

20 minutes ago, Kenya said:

You’re not naming any names tho, which singers could’ve done a better job, that are on Xtina’s level of relevance and legacy? I’m waiting boo. 

Again, no need for long ass essays I understand the frustration but the way it’s been dealth with is inappropriate and awful, and it’s not justified, period. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

You’re not naming any names tho, which singers could’ve done a better job, that are on Xtina’s level of relevance and legacy? I’m waiting boo. 

Again, no need for long ass essays I understand the frustration but the way it’s been dealth with is inappropriate and awful, and it’s not justified, period. 

I'm asking YOU if you think it's problematic. There are PLENTY of successful black female artists who could have done a superb job. Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blidge, Patti Labelle, just to name a FEW.

I'm sorry that my two paragraphs(one of which was two sentences) is a "long ass essay" to you, but it's difficult to truly convey the origins of why black people would be upset by this in any less words. If that's a problem for you then awk1

17 minutes ago, Archie said:

Thank you

This just reminds me Viola Davis speech at the Emmy's 2015: "The only thing that separates a woman of color from anyone else is opportunity. You cannot win an Emmy for roles that simply are not there"

And that basically applies to everything, even for a simple tribute performance. That's what black people are talking about and that's why they have full right to complaint. ZaWphH.gif

Exactly. 

1 minute ago, Kenya said:

I'm asking YOU if you think it's problematic. There are PLENTY of successful black female artists who could have done a superb job. Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blidge, Patti Labelle, just to name a FEW.

I'm sorry that my two paragraphs(one of which was two sentences) is a "long ass essay" to you, but it's difficult to truly convey the origins of why black people would be upset by this in any less words. If that's a problem for you then awk1

eve1 nnn

unnecessary long ass essays, I don’t know what you’re trying to prove here, I acknowledged what you’re trying to say every time, but I’m never going to justify the way it was done to adress the issue ny12 

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

eve1 nnn

unnecessary long ass essays, I don’t know what you’re trying to prove here, I acknowledged what you’re trying to say every time, but I’m never going to justify the way it was done to adress the issue ny12 

embarrassing ny12 

6 hours ago, Archie said:

I haven't seen the tribute yet but as a white guy I have no right to say anything but respect black people opinion who got offended by this. I do think that there are loads of talent black singers out there that would do an amazing job like Jennifer Houston for instance.

fall1 

also how is everyone in this thread just gonna call xtina a white woman when she's just as latina as she is european brit14

4 minutes ago, gengar said:

fall1 

also how is everyone in this thread just gonna call xtina a white woman when she's just as latina as she is european brit14

And how is a latin and european woman representing the american black community?

9 hours ago, *Starlight* said:

Because literally no one remembers Dolly's version. It belongs to her, but Whitney took that song to such a level it particially belongs to her now mad7

Whitney's version is obviously the most successful but it will never 'practically' belong to her. Most music fans rightfully consider it Dolly's song and her version is definitely remembered; there is a large group of people with myself included who prefer the original for its understated nature.

Is it racism or tea though? The only way we could be objective is if the performance hadn’t been predictably awful. 

I think people were turned off the idea of Christina being chosen for two reasons:  

1. She’s white. It’s not the same, even in 2017, for a white artist to be chosen to “pay tribute” to a black artist as it is for a black artist to do the same for a white artist.

2.  I think people had a feeling that Christina’s style would make it less a tribute and more of the latest installment in the “I’m Christina watch what I can do!!1!” show, season 79 now streaming on Netflix. Some people call it making the performance her own. Other people read it as Christina doing little to honor Whitney and more to grandstand in real-time via her belts and runs that literally no other artist does like that, whether you call it good or bad. Everyone knows the benchmark of a good Whitney cover recreates her original vocal, which is soft then powerful, and exquisitely free of useless runs. (I don’t even like the song so I can objectively make the case that her vocal is gorgeous even though I can’t listen to the song.) What Christina did was, in that sense, only partly a “tribute.” It was as much about her style as it was Whitney’s recording.

Someone like Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, or even Mariah probably wouldn’t have made the choice to have such a departure stylistically, but that wouldn’t have offset the problem of representation that was always going to be a factor in a Christina Aguilera tribute. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.