Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Jony

HDD drags Billboard for miscounting reputation sales

Our latest SPS chart has Taylor Swift's #1 bow for reputation at 1.29m, edging past the first-week total for prior giant 1989. But in a further demonstration of how completely out of touch John Amato and team are, the industry Bible gave her a total of around 1.26m. In doing so, they took their eye off the ball during a crucial moment for the entire industry—because they didn’t care.

If they did care, they would’ve done the work to find out what really happened with the year's most eagerly awaited album, considering the importance of an accurate count to one of the industry's hugest stars, her label or the biz at large. 

The performance of reputation in the 2017 marketplace is historic; despite steep drops in retail, Taylor achieved an unprecedented fourth straight million-plus bow almost entirely with sales and eclipsed the 2014 debut of her last blockbuster. 

When they saw our chart number (a total with which BuzzAngle Music agrees), they could’ve dug down into their numbers to locate the malfunction. But they couldn’t be bothered.

Taylor and Big Machine are said to be apoplectic about this absurd lapse.

HDD

Just now, KingOfTheClouds said:

im confused......what?

Hits Daily Double, which counts album sales, counted 1.29m for reputation, while Billboard only 1.26m. With HDD's number rep actually outsold 1989's first week (1.287m)

3 minutes ago, Infrared said:

nnn HDD is far to pressed. STFU. Billboard numbers never match your numbers and it's shocking that they're trying to lead the pack when BB is superior.

Isn't it always the other way around though, HDD being slightly lower? Anyway HDD seems more insightful when it comes to music business news jay1 Billboard.com gives me basic E! News teas jay1 

Just now, KingOfTheClouds said:

so theyre pressed because they are off by .03 lol

That 30k stripped her of a record jay1 Also 30k is like first week numbers for a lot of artists jay1 Imagine if they forgot to count 30k sales of Younger Now, poor Miley would debut with 3k pure sales jj1 

8 minutes ago, Jony said:

Hits Daily Double, which counts album sales, counted 1.29m for reputation, while Billboard only 1.26m. With HDD's number rep actually outsold 1989's first week (1.287m)

Isn't it always the other way around though, HDD being slightly lower? Anyway HDD seems more insightful when it comes to music business news jay1 Billboard.com gives me basic E! News teas jay1 

yeah HDD has the TEA, but Billboard has to keep it professional because they're held to higher standards. HDD has been wrong so many times about things jj3 

HDD reads like a personal blog tbh which works with their indie aesthetic. Billboard reads like bought articles which works with the corporate aesthetic. You can't have your cake and eat it.

We can even compare their covers and see the same thing

Image result for hits daily cover vs. Image result for billboard magazine

5 minutes ago, Jony said:

That 30k stripped her of a record jay1 Also 30k is like first week numbers for a lot of artists jay1 Imagine if they forgot to count 30k sales of Younger Now, poor Miley would debut with 3k pure sales jj1 

This, but does that mean Rep's first week sales are 1,290,000? Because the billboard article i read say she sold 1,216,000

2 minutes ago, *Starlight* said:

This, but does that mean Rep's first week sales are 1,290,000? Because the billboard article i read say she sold 1,216,000

No 1.29m is HDD's SPS number, Billboard is the 'official' one.

1.216m is billboard's pure sales, but wait im reading they counted 1.238m for SPS dead2 Not sure where the 1.26m in the article came from

2 minutes ago, Jony said:

No 1.29m is HDD's SPS number, Billboard is the 'official' one.

1.216m is billboard's pure sales, but wait im reading they counted 1.238m for SPS dead2 Not sure where the 1.26m in the article came from

Exactly so, that means Rep didnt outsell 1989

1 minute ago, *Starlight* said:

Exactly so, that means Rep didnt outsell 1989

But according to HDD and BuzzAngle it should've cause they counted 1.266/1.289m SPS. She'll see them in court jj1 

39 minutes ago, Infrared said:

nnn HDD is far to pressed. STFU. Billboard numbers never match your numbers and it's shocking that they're trying to lead the pack when BB is superior.

The funny thing is didn’t HDD report that 1989 sold 1.316M when it first came out? I remember I was ready for her to break Britney’s record (not realizing Adele would come to smash later). 

So even if she sold 1.29 according to them she still didn’t do 1.316 or whatever 

2 minutes ago, RepuTAYtion said:

The funny thing is didn’t HDD report that 1989 sold 1.316M when it first came out? I remember I was ready for her to break Britney’s record (not realizing Adele would come to smash later). 

So even if she sold 1.29 according to them she still didn’t do 1.316 or whatever 

Yeah, in that case the extra sales came from a Microsoft $0.99 deal that wasn't eligible for BB jj1 But I don't think there were any deals this time

18 minutes ago, *Starlight* said:

Ok im confused what are the REAL sales, SPS and pure?

Pure sales = actual albums sold, physical or digital

SPS = actual albums sold, plus streaming equivalent & track equivalent. 1500 streams of a song = 1 album sale, 10 song sales = 1 album sale. 

For example: Album sells 50k, does 50 million streams and 200k song sales. Pure would be 50k, SPS would be 50m/1500=33.3k, plus 200k/10=20k, for a total of 103.3k SPS

3 minutes ago, Jony said:

Yeah, in that case the extra sales came from a Microsoft $0.99 deal that wasn't eligible for BB jj1 But I don't think there were any deals this time

Yeah that was it! It’s just funny because HDD seems to have forgotten their own tally they published, and used billboards numbers for 1989 this time around, yet they’re complaining about billboards numbers? hay1

Mess. As much as I hoped reputation would outsell it still slayed and it bops so I’m good sass5

What a fucking mess.  HDD was closer in the projections all along, but every since the 2nd day drop after the album was released it seemed less and less likely to match 1989.  I saw HDD's numbers and assumed that her Thursday discount did the trick, but I guess not.  It's not like Billboard to UNDER report, is it?  Normally they cheat and inflate numbers for people so that hardworking queens like Britney and Madonna don't win (lol), but here it's the other way around.  And every article I see conflates the various 1.xxx figures being thrown around for sales, SPS, or some ridiculous combination of the two.

IMO she should take the lower number; better to JUST BARELY miss out on beating her last total than go with her next album's launch, which won't be in this ballpark unless she pulls an Adele.

5 hours ago, Jony said:

LMFAO

omg dead2 

HDD going IN lmfao1 the end of that article about Billboard missing a photo opp

Do we have final first week SPS for Reputation yet?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.