Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Agugaga

Taylor’s first week sales: What happened?

I’m left scratching my head over the final numbers of Taylor’s first week? 

What the hell happened? I thought the projection was 2 million? I thought she sold 900k or whatever on the first day? How the heck did it end up at “just” 1.2 million? I’m not dragging these sales at all. But I’m just a little confused because something seems to be off. Somewhere in all this there is a discrepancy and I really feel like it’s coming from the label or something in the tie in promos that reflects a false number or some “pre-bought” copies.

Something definetly isn’t adding up here. It’s evident to me that even this final number is not authentic. I’ve never seen an album sell 85% of its totals on its first day and then drop that much for the remaining week. If it fell that sharply after day 1, imagine the plummet that will ensue in coming weeks.

Lets have a serious discussion here. No reason for her fans to get defense like they are fighting in WWII. Calmly take a breath, and have a legit discussion. I’m talking specifically about the mean, cruel, angry, cold hearted Taylor fans who have a fixation on taking down other females and Taylor’s enemies. Can you please have a mature discussion about this? tay1 

From what I can tell, the majority of those sales were pre-orders to begin with. The people who didn't pre-order and were waiting for the album to come out, probably all got their copies in the first couple days. Reputation doesn't really have any current hits slaying the charts so people aren't thinking about going out and buying her album. All the major fans and the people who wanted it probably all already got it.

It shows that Reputation just isn't an era of longevity. Her previous 3 albums all sold more than a million the first week because she has that kind of reach/fanbase. People are going to be here for her new releases. But she hasn't been grabbing anyone else with this new material. I'm not surprised that her sales dropped off after the first couple days, tbh. 

Tea, Swifties going on and on about how 1.5 million was in the bag, and she doesn’t even outsell 1989. Even though this was supposed to be her comeback, and most critically acclaimed era. All this controversy to flop, and suffer an 80% drop. 

The projection was never 2 million, it was 1.5 million as highest

I'd just say that her album was so highly anticipated and she's such a big star that most people either pre-ordered it or bought it the first day

Weaker material is the reason for the decline in sales. Obviously it's still big numbers but I think she peaked with 1989 and will see declines with every album now unless she manages to improve her material and public image, both of which come off as mean and spiteful.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.