Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Stormzy apologizes for homophobic tweets

Grime MC Stormzy has apologised for using homophobic language on Twitter, after the Pink News site uncovered tweets stretching across three years that used words including “faggot”.

Amongst numerous other uses of the word, he called a gay character on EastEnders a “fucking fag”, asked a Twitter user who was discussing hair straighteners and curling tongs “are you a fag?”, and told his followers: “Put on bbc1 this little black boy is a fucking fag”. He also described various people and things as “proper gay”.

He has now posted a series of repentant tweets, saying: “I said some foul and offensive things whilst tweeting years ago at a time when I was young and proudly ignorant. Very hurtful and discriminative views that I’ve unlearned as I’ve grown up and become a man ... The comments I made were unacceptable and disgusting, full stop. Comments that I regret and to everyone I’ve offended, I am sorry, these are attitudes I’ve left in the past ... I take responsibility for my mistakes and hope you can understand that my younger self doesn’t reflect who I am today.”

After his rise in 2015 with the freestyle Shut Up, the MC has had a hugely successful 2017, scoring a number one album, winning a Mercury prize nomination and a GQ man of the year award.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/22/stormzy-apologises-for-unearthed-homophobic-tweets

I really hate when people pull up tweets from YEARS ago and try to bring a celebrity down with them. Like stfu a lot of y’all look at posts from 2010 and cringe and say thats notnyou anymore. Get a life. 🙄

15 minutes ago, Kyoteki said:

I really hate when people pull up tweets from YEARS ago and try to bring a celebrity down with them. Like stfu a lot of y’all look at posts from 2010 and cringe and say thats notnyou anymore. Get a life. 🙄

At least he is apologizing for it! 

1 hour ago, Kyoteki said:

them SJW's need a real life hobbie tbh

tumblr_inline_oz0w7yWJpA1s5r26r_540.gif

1 hour ago, Kyoteki said:

Where's the lie though ? Should we check out how many homophobic closeted gay men there were before they came out ?  Thank Goodness my 2010 posts are not like that 

2 hours ago, Kyoteki said:

coffee1 

4 hours ago, Kyoteki said:

Oop didn't realise you were starring in Eastenders at the time jj4 

3 hours ago, HANZ94 said:

them SJW's need a real life hobbie tbh

tumblr_inline_oz0w7yWJpA1s5r26r_540.gif

I dont even consider those people SJWs. Just desperates looking for something to bitch about because they’re depressed with their own lives. 

Anyone who has any awareness of Stormzy whatsoever knows he's a very socially and politically conscious artist so there's no doubt in my mind that he's clearly moved on from old attitudes he may have had in his youth and his sincere statement is indicative of this. Dragging these up strikes me as an attempt at a take down of a socially conscious, black, working class and left-wing artist by a conservative media outlet. 

3 hours ago, nigma said:

who?

3 hours ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

my thoughts exactly

Then dont fucking comment on here. Another thing I dont understand. The answer “who?” To topics as a joke in the age where you can google shit in three seconds. 🤦🏾‍♂️

I'm proud of stormzy for speaking up about it and he's an amazing rapper too

Bringing up old tweets is stupid and a waste of time. People really think celebs will hold the same opinions now as they did years ago. People change.

Edit: also I remember when SZA got dragged for her old homophobic tweets too and she apologized numerous times about it before she started blowing up, the gays act like they never been in that position when they were in the closet nnnn nicki4

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.