Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Kyoteki

Rumor: Apple Plans to end Music Downloads by 2019

Update:

DMN brought this exact same rumor up in May of 2016 (https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/05/11/apple-terminating-music-downloads-two-years/)

The rumor was shot down by an Apple Rep shortly after (https://www.recode.net/2016/5/11/11660982/apple-itunes-music-downloads-not-true)

Doesn't mean it isn't true, but take it with a grain of salt. DMN isn't very reputable and cited anonymous sources. It's just a really unlikely rumor right now.

7 minutes ago, Aidan. said:

I can't wait to own the KM14 CD, vinyl, cassette, Floppy cry7

I mean streaming is nice when I'm at work and want to throw something on or I'm out (though I have most music stored on my phone anyway)

Or the Thumb Drive:

usb.png

6 minutes ago, Aidan. said:

When the booklet doesn't have lyrics or nice pics I'm lowkey like mad5 Where can I return this mad5

I don't think my obsession with buying Kylieitems will ever end kylie2

Fever has the worst. Shitty little fold out with no lyrics and like two pictures (one of them being the cover) kylie2 Iconic album cancelled!

3 minutes ago, Nuclear Chicken said:

Update:

DMN brought this exact same rumor up in May of 2016 (https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/05/11/apple-terminating-music-downloads-two-years/)

The rumor was shot down by an Apple Rep shortly after (https://www.recode.net/2016/5/11/11660982/apple-itunes-music-downloads-not-true)

Doesn't mean it isn't true, but take it with a grain of salt. It's just a really unlikely rumor right now.

Is it that unlikely tho? I mean, apple as a corporation has been known for pushing the removal of technologies they deem "obsolete" in their devices before anyone else (the optical drive on laptops, then the 3.5 mm jack on iphones etc), with most people streaming music nowadays rather than downloading it doesn't seem very unlikely to me that they'll stop offering their music service through itunes and start doing it so only through apple music. 

Just now, jacs vs looser said:

Is it that unlikely tho? I mean, apple as a corporation has been known for pushing the removal of technologies they deem "obsolete" in their devices before anyone else (the optical drive on laptops, then the 3.5 mm jack on iphones etc), with most people streaming music nowadays rather than downloading it doesn't seem very unlikely to me that they'll stop offering their music service through itunes and start doing it so only through apple music. 

The idea itself isn't that farfetched, but they do still make money from music sales. That and the source just isn't that credible. We'll see!

11 minutes ago, ajp said:

Or the Thumb Drive:

usb.png

Omg I stan the logo with the Body Language cover pose

9 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

Fever has the worst. Shitty little fold out with no lyrics and like two pictures (one of them being the cover) kylie2 Iconic album cancelled!

OMG I know jj4 The mini poster inside which is the album cover again jj4 Light Years had the same thing but at least used another pic (which was used as the deluxe but still)

I like to actually own my music, and I usually prefer buying music when I have the money to rather than trying to scramble to afford the dozens of fees every month for different streaming services. It seems unlikely that they'll do this, but still, I'd be extremely irritated.

Last week, industry publication Digital Music News released a new reportclaiming that Apple is on track for a plan to eliminate digital music downloads from the iTunes store by early 2019. Although Apple has denied that any such phaseout plan exists, DMN’s report cites “multiple sources tied into the platform or working at the company itself.”

DMN’s Paul Resnikoff detailed the alleged plan that his sources outlined, which he claims is on track to be implemented in early 2019, shortly after the Christmas season: 

"The company would migrate a user’s iTunes download collection towards a brand-new Apple Music account. Then, as part of a three-month transitionary trial account, a user’s entire collection would be migrated into streaming equivalents. All previous playlists and details would also be translated. Downloads unavailable as streams would be grayed out, pending future licensing. ‘But you can always go back and listen to the downloads, they always will work,’ another source noted. Over time, ‘more stuff becomes licensed’ and the grayed out collection becomes de minimis."

While not dead, it’s certainly true that paid music downloads don’t seem to be the future of music. A record number of users are migrating to streaming services, with Spotify hitting 60 million subscribers earlier this year and Apple Music surpassing 30 million. Meanwhile, paid downloads have fallen significantly, with DMN putting the U.S. declines in the first half of 2017 at 24.1 percent for songs and 19.9 percent for albums. A previous report from DMN predicted that the entire model would be dead by 2021, just 18 years after the iTunes store first launched.

Still, questions remain about the viability of streaming platforms. Spotify is preparing to go public potentially as soon as next year, although the company remains unprofitable. TIDAL’s finances remain murky, while services like Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music currently benefit from being underwritten by a larger company with diversified income streams.

Jimmy Iovine recently underscored this point in an interview with Billboard, worrying that fierce competition will drive down subscription prices.

“The streaming business is not a great business,” he said. “It’s fine with the big companies: Amazon, Apple, Google… Of course it’s a small piece of their business, very cool, but Spotify is the only standalone, right? So they have to figure out a way to show the road to making this a real business.”

So far, Apple has continued to deny the prospect of ending paid downloads. It also recently acquired music recognition and discovery app Shazam for a reported $400 million, although its plans for the company remain unclear. However, as digital sales continue to fall while consumers move to streaming platforms, it certainly seems like the days of paid music downloads are numbered.

https://genius.com/a/apple-is-reportedly-planning-to-end-digital-music-downloads-by-2019

If this is true meg1

I still buy my whole music and don't have a streaming account anywhere.

I buy music so irregularly that I don't want to pay a fixed price every month.

Spotify is exploitive btw.

Even in a low sales climate, iTunes would probably still more profitable than Spotify laughcry1

16 minutes ago, RICKY MARTIN said:

Spotify really killed the music industry

but then again it's very easy for people to download music and stuff ilegaly

giphy.gif

Killed it or saved it?

It might have killed the physical and digital sales, but in a worldwide scale, people were downloading songs illegally and now people can listen to their favorite songs legally "without paying" (Like, if you have a free account on spotify, you help the artists listening to the ads). As the platform grows, the more money the record label/artists earn gzo0K2M.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.