Dennis Reynolds

Was at a record store earlier...

Sometimes when I'm at a store that sells CDs (especially HMV, which was replaced by Sunrise Records), I like to look at what they have in stock from artists I really like, even if I don't intend on buying it or already own their entire discography (weird, I know). Anyway, I was looking around in the Pop/Rock section, and strangely, there was absolutely nothing from Taylor. I was really confused until I stumbled onto the Country section, and there she was (Fearless through Reputation).

Am I alone in thinking this or is that kinda silly? Obviously she started out as a country artist but I feel like it's kinda dumb to keep her stuff in that section when she her previous two albums have included precisely 0 country songs. I guess it would probably also be confusing to put her individual pop and country albums in different sections though, and I doubt they'd want to keep her in both.

16 minutes ago, Juinae said:

If you check the labelling stickers on the album in some stores they classify reputation as "country" so I'm never surprised to see her newer stuff mixed in there. dead4 

That seems so stupid to me dead2 If an artist shifts genres like that, I feel like they should just keep all of their material in the section of whatever genre it is they're currently doing. New fans who have only heard their newest stuff will be more inclined to check there.

38 minutes ago, Aidan. said:

Sunrise doesn't carry Kylie kylie2 At least not my one

I stan this other record store that opened in place of another HMV near me which does carry her and Taylor, which is actually a subsidiary to Sam the Record Man!!!

I'm not sure about Sunrise, but HMV certainly did, yea. I recall always seeing The Best of... alongside her debut and Aphrodite, usually.

10 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I'm not sure about Sunrise, but HMV certainly did, yea. I recall always seeing The Best of... alongside her debut and Aphrodite, usually.

The one in Downtown Toronto always had debut through LGTI, Impossible Princess, KMO

18 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

It might just be the laziness of the record label? She started off as country but since she's evolved they haven't really changed her genre label. The shop owners might just be putting her where the label has designated. 

Incredibly lazy if that's the case. I'll have to look closer next time...

12 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Really? Why?

I would assume that most record labels don't like it when artists want to change genres: it must take a lot of time and effort to build a brand and going against that can be risky. I think that they were worried that people would just reject her as a pop artist (they wanted Shake It Off to retain country elements). I remember the initial backlash from some fans being pissed that she was going pop as the record label predicted but it paid off with wider exposure for her music. Also, Big Machine Records is a country music label so it just makes sense that they would want their artists to remain country.

People never label albums correctly because people's opinion of genre are so subjective and a lot of the time deluded. Quite often you'll see Rihanna's albums all in the R&B category purely because she's black when the majority of her discography is pop music. This is another one of those cases, the good sis started as a country artist so therefore all her releases are country!