Mariah Carey

1 hour ago, Sylk said:

tea! Idk how but album covers with no text visually look better and stand out I guess? but in come cases i do prefer text like on Memoirs or Emancipation or Debut or E=MC2 

Albums like Emotions, Music Box, and Daydream could have done better without titles. I think E=MC2 is a super cool title so it works well being shown on the title.

I kind of wish Emancipation had the title instead of Mariah's name. I like it better when albums do that, instead of just the name of the artist. (because, that usually indicates a self-titled release) An album that did this well was Kiss Me Once by Kylie. 

"Someday" is officially my most played Mariah song oprah4 Also my 11th most listened song of all time on my iTunes (doesn't take into account the other formats I listen my music to, obvs)

Bright Moon 19,204
14 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

"Someday" is officially my most played Mariah song oprah4 Also my 11th most listened song of all time on my iTunes (doesn't take into account the other formats I listen my music to, obvs)

Wow, isnt it? i would have never guessed. Mine's probably something of Daydream or The Star

2 hours ago, *Starlight* said:

Wow, isnt it? i would have never guessed. Mine's probably something of Daydream or The Star

"Someday" is one of the songs that made me get into her material more. I'm a huge sucker for that early 90s sound, and I was happy to find that Mariah started early enough be apart of it. "Someday" is such a catchy song, and I love the attitude on it.

My second and third most played Mariah songs are Fantasy and Forever. 

Sylk 143,020
On 1/22/2018 at 10:43 AM, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Albums like Emotions, Music Box, and Daydream could have done better without titles. I think E=MC2 is a super cool title so it works well being shown on the title.

I kind of wish Emancipation had the title instead of Mariah's name. I like it better when albums do that, instead of just the name of the artist. (because, that usually indicates a self-titled release) An album that did this well was Kiss Me Once by Kylie. 

I like the towering text on Emotions, it sort of emphasizes the height of her emotions that the album encompasses!  Daydream text placement is a bit awkward, I would axe that, along with the actual shot I think, idk why but ther shadows make her face look bloated or something? I love E=MC2's title so I agree on that! 

Omg wait it has her name?? rip2 I never noticed I thought it was the album title rip3 I guess wouldn't it be hard to fit the whole title there? So the name works better I guess, I wouldn't have minded if the cover was a close up like this نتيجة بحث الصور عن ‪emancipation of mimi deluxe‬‏

23 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

taste! do you know she hates the song? eve1 

2 hours ago, Sylk said:

I like the towering text on Emotions, it sort of emphasizes the height of her emotions that the album encompasses!  Daydream text placement is a bit awkward, I would axe that, along with the actual shot I think, idk why but ther shadows make her face look bloated or something? I love E=MC2's title so I agree on that! 

Omg wait it has her name?? rip2 I never noticed I thought it was the album title rip3 I guess wouldn't it be hard to fit the whole title there? So the name works better I guess, I wouldn't have minded if the cover was a close up like this نتيجة بحث الصور عن ‪emancipation of mimi deluxe‬‏

taste! do you know she hates the song? eve1 

Honestly, the whole Emancipation photoshoot is BOMB, but I almost prefer every photo instead of the actual cover photo. It just doesn't look like her dead2 I prefer the deluxe edition ^

I do know that! brit10 And I think she should get over it! I know it sounds "too produced" (or w/e) and she probably wrote it when she was like 17. But it's still a BOP. Not only that, but it has the best video of the debut era. Weird dancing and all!

tumblr_osjgeergdT1qmeiveo3_400.gif

On another note, I love this part of this performance, the way she sort of inhales/breaks before going up to her falsetto on "cause bab-ay hey"

Sylk 143,020
2 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Honestly, the whole Emancipation photoshoot is BOMB, but I almost prefer every photo instead of the actual cover photo. It just doesn't look like her dead2 I prefer the deluxe edition ^

I do know that! brit10 And I think she should get over it! I know it sounds "too produced" (or w/e) and she probably wrote it when she was like 17. But it's still a BOP. Not only that, but it has the best video of the debut era. Weird dancing and all!

tumblr_osjgeergdT1qmeiveo3_400.gif

tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes they photoshoped the hell out of it lol2 But idk how it sort of adds to the pictures? oprah12 I like it tbh, I wouldn't wanna know how the original untouched pictures looked like, i hope they deleted them all eve1 

Have you heard the alleged Someday Demo? rih1 

2 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

On another note, I love this part of this performance, the way she sort of inhales/breaks before going up to her falsetto on "cause bab-ay hey"

the ADLIBS on this performance oprah10 the very last downward run she does.. CHILLS everytime oprah10 

Simón. 23,990

Guys, I low-key begin to stan Mariah. I was listening to Fantasy today and I'm loving it. I will give her other albums a try before I stan moo completely. 

9 hours ago, Sylk said:

tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes they photoshoped the hell out of it lol2 But idk how it sort of adds to the pictures? oprah12 I like it tbh, I wouldn't wanna know how the original untouched pictures looked like, i hope they deleted them all eve1 

Have you heard the alleged Someday Demo? rih1 

the ADLIBS on this performance oprah10 the very last downward run she does.. CHILLS everytime oprah10 

I like the overall golden sheen & photoshop work of TEOM photoshoot, but there's something about the one photo that they used for the cover that is just...odd? Kind of the way I feel about the Rainbow cover, too.

Sis, I'm subscribed to mariahxlambily on YouTube. Of course I've heard the Someday demo. I think the album version exceeds it. jj2 I know Mariah hates the production and stuff, but at least they allowed her to keep all of her vocal arrangements from the demo.

Sylk 143,020
12 hours ago, Simón. said:

Guys, I low-key begin to stan Mariah. I was listening to Fantasy today and I'm loving it. I will give her other albums a try before I stan moo completely. 

WIG = missing!

Listen to some of her latin flavored tracks, it might help getting into her! sia1

• I Don't Wanna Cry 
  • My All 
  • After Tonight
  • I Only Wanted 

All ballads btw if you're looking for the bops, look no futher: 

• Dreamlover
  • Honey 
  • Boy (I Need You)
  • It's Like That 
  • Obsessed 

If you want her magnum opuses: 

• The Roof
  • Forever
  • Can't Let Go 
  • I Stay In Love
  • Betcha Gon Know 
11 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

I like the overall golden sheen & photoshop work of TEOM photoshoot, but there's something about the one photo that they used for the cover that is just...odd? Kind of the way I feel about the Rainbow cover, too.

Sis, I'm subscribed to mariahxlambily on YouTube. Of course I've heard the Someday demo. I think the album version exceeds it. jj2 I know Mariah hates the production and stuff, but at least they allowed her to keep all of her vocal arrangements from the demo.

I see! Like what? oprah12 do you mean the airbrushing? cause it's also on Rainbow sia2 

Wig = MISSING There was another demo tape leak a few years ago and it has the original Someday instrumentation. I think Mariah hates cause they switched out the drums, the drums on the studio version sound very 80s, I would've been upset too! 

1 hour ago, Sylk said:

WIG = missing!

I see! Like what? oprah12 do you mean the airbrushing? cause it's also on Rainbow sia2 

Wig = MISSING There was another demo tape leak a few years ago and it has the original Someday instrumentation. I think Mariah hates cause they switched out the drums, the drums on the studio version sound very 80s, I would've been upset too! 

Yeah, it's probably the airbrushing. But, she's also got that golden fake tan, that works on some photos, but not for others, y'know? Yeah, there's something a little too plastic about the Rainbow cover, too.

Honestly, the demo doesn't sound all that different from the studio version, in my opinion. It's a little softer of a production, while the studio version implements more of that harder, new jack swing sound. There are still drums on the studio version, it's just slightly different.

Anyway, she has the Unplugged version to use (which I also love), so I think she dislikes the song more than just its production. It seems like "Love Takes Time" is the only debut single she doesn't have any real problems with.

Sylk 143,020
21 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Yeah, it's probably the airbrushing. But, she's also got that golden fake tan, that works on some photos, but not for others, y'know? Yeah, there's something a little too plastic about the Rainbow cover, too.

Honestly, the demo doesn't sound all that different from the studio version, in my opinion. It's a little softer of a production, while the studio version implements more of that harder, new jack swing sound. There are still drums on the studio version, it's just slightly different.

Anyway, she has the Unplugged version to use (which I also love), so I think she dislikes the song more than just its production. It seems like "Love Takes Time" is the only debut single she doesn't have any real problems with.

Yes, Debut and Music Box are probably her least retouched covers!

Do you think so? I can hear a difference. But I think the closest to Mariah's version is the Unplugged one, cause whenever she performed, like in Vegas she performed that and she also put that on the album instead of the studio version slksjskjsks i find it funny how much she hates it eve1 

What about Vision of Love? rih1 She loves VOL. And Vanishing is one of her favorites. Besides those three, I think she pretty much despises the entire record cause she wasn't allowed to produce. Especially now since some of it ie: Prisoner sounds very late 80s eve1 

Sylk 143,020
On 1/21/2016 at 1:57 AM, Sylk said:

I was hanging out with one of my girlfriends today and we were listening to her playlist when suddenly Fantasy started playing and I was literally like orly1orly1

especially cause that bitch told me she didnt like Mariah a few years ago rav1 

my impacT is global it seemsrav1 

On 1/19/2017 at 12:35 AM, Sylk said:

I didn't know he had music though have to check that out cry7 yes I'm almost done with YOI. GG is on pause for me atm cause all the shows have returns from break! But I will resume it asap cry6 Tell me what you think of yoi cry7 

On 1/21/2018 at 6:03 PM, Sylk said:

@Havanna-wa I think the next Mariah album you should listen to is self-titled debut! After seeing how well you took Daydream I think that would be the right way to go before you dabble stronger opuses like Butterfly, E=MC2 etc! sia1 

A Sylk post in this section in the same week but in 2016, 2017 and 2018!

SYLK TAG LIST

1 hour ago, Sylk said:

Yes, Debut and Music Box are probably her least retouched covers!

Do you think so? I can hear a difference. But I think the closest to Mariah's version is the Unplugged one, cause whenever she performed, like in Vegas she performed that and she also put that on the album instead of the studio version slksjskjsks i find it funny how much she hates it eve1 

What about Vision of Love? rih1 She loves VOL. And Vanishing is one of her favorites. Besides those three, I think she pretty much despises the entire record cause she wasn't allowed to produce. Especially now since some of it ie: Prisoner sounds very late 80s eve1 

I seem to recall that in an 1998/1999-ish interview (I think it was MTV?) she said something along the lines that she goes back and listens to the VOL demo and even prefers it over the studio version because there's more of a rawness to it. Certainly doesn't mean she dislikes the studio version, but she has something to pick at for a lot of songs. And I don't think she dislikes the entire record. She said a few years ago that she thought Alone In Love should have been a single, and in an 1998 interview she said Sent From Up Above was a track she liked – and maybe should have gotten attention – because it was more R&B flavored. (her words).

I get that she's a perfectionist and likes to have control, and I understand the disparity of not having control of the production, but she actually had quite a lot of freedom for a freshly signed artist for a debut album. She wrote every song – and most of the songs they put on the record were songs she wrote with her writing parter before recording sessions, instead of songs she co-wrote with big name producers – and she did her own vocal arrangements for every song – which is really important considering how much her vocal styling was apart of her success. shrug1 Idk, it does sound very much from the era, but I feel like one of these days she'll think better about it. Kinda like how Madonna has sort of grown a fondness for her earlier, 80s material, after she had despised it throughout her 40s. 

Sylk 143,020
23 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

I seem to recall that in an 1998/1999-ish interview (I think it was MTV?) she said something along the lines that she goes back and listens to the VOL demo and even prefers it over the studio version because there's more of a rawness to it. Certainly doesn't mean she dislikes the studio version, but she has something to pick at for a lot of songs. And I don't think she dislikes the entire record. She said a few years ago that she thought Alone In Love should have been a single, and in an 1998 interview she said Sent From Up Above was a track she liked – and maybe should have gotten attention – because it was more R&B flavored. (her words).

I get that she's a perfectionist and likes to have control, and I understand the disparity of not having control of the production, but she actually had quite a lot of freedom for a freshly signed artist for a debut album. She wrote every song – and most of the songs they put on the record were songs she wrote with her writing parter before recording sessions, instead of songs she co-wrote with big name producers – and she did her own vocal arrangements for every song – which is really important considering how much her vocal styling was apart of her success. shrug1 Idk, it does sound very much from the era, but I feel like one of these days she'll think better about it. Kinda like how Madonna has sort of grown a fondness for her earlier, 80s material, after she had despised it throughout her 40s. 

Oh wow I didn't know that, Alone In Love and Sent From Up Above are some of the stand-out tracks from the album so I totally agree with that. I would honestly do anything to have a listen of this demo tape but I don't know if I'd like the demo version of Vision of Love if she described is as raw oprah12 I like the smooth, clean finish of the studio version, it gives it that timeless feel you know? Still though, would give my LIFE to hear it. fall1 

You know what? I totally agree. Self-titled was polished to a TEA for a debut artist. I think if she had produced it, it wouldn't have been any different from the final thing, I think it's probably just the exclusion she didn't like, like more of the experience then the actual song. I think she might come around to it someday.mp3! A while ago she tweeted how she didn't like Forever but was listening to it and it grew on her alot so who knows! sia1 

Anyways, I think the albums she's most proud of are after Daydream (bar, Glitter) before that nothing exists but a few tracks of Debut, the entirety of Emotions and Hero/ Anytime You Need a Friend, oh and MC! eve1 

1 hour ago, Sylk said:

Oh wow I didn't know that, Alone In Love and Sent From Up Above are some of the stand-out tracks from the album so I totally agree with that. I would honestly do anything to have a listen of this demo tape but I don't know if I'd like the demo version of Vision of Love if she described is as raw oprah12 I like the smooth, clean finish of the studio version, it gives it that timeless feel you know? Still though, would give my LIFE to hear it. fall1 

You know what? I totally agree. Self-titled was polished to a TEA for a debut artist. I think if she had produced it, it wouldn't have been any different from the final thing, I think it's probably just the exclusion she didn't like, like more of the experience then the actual song. I think she might come around to it someday.mp3! A while ago she tweeted how she didn't like Forever but was listening to it and it grew on her alot so who knows! sia1 

Anyways, I think the albums she's most proud of are after Daydream (bar, Glitter) before that nothing exists but a few tracks of Debut, the entirety of Emotions and Hero/ Anytime You Need a Friend, oh and MC! eve1 

I think Self-Titled is one of the best debut albums of a pop artist around that time. Solid pop songwriting, stand-out and original vocals, and a variety of ballads and up-tempos (unlike her later work, although amazing, are mostly ballad-centric). To be fair, the only "big name" producer she worked with on Self-Titled was Nara Michael Warden (who had produced all of Whitney's big hits). Ric Wake (Someday) only had a Top 5 or two with some forgotten singer, Rhett Lawrence (Vision of Love, Sent From Up Above) was – and still is – practically unknown, and Love Takes Time was Walter's first producing credit! I think everyone came together really well. Even the "dated" sounding songs, like Prisoner, have a fun bite to them. 

Really? rih1 I figured she always liked Forever. It was on her GH! What a shock. Even the good sis has questionable taste sia1 

Mingyu. 12,290
1 hour ago, Sylk said:

SYLK TAG LIST

WOW. Iconic tbh.

Simón. 23,990
2 hours ago, Sylk said:

WIG = missing!

Listen to some of her latin flavored tracks, it might help getting into her! sia1

• I Don't Wanna Cry 
  • My All 
  • After Tonight
  • I Only Wanted 

All ballads btw if you're looking for the bops, look no futher: 

• Dreamlover
  • Honey 
  • Boy (I Need You)
  • It's Like That 
  • Obsessed 

If you want her magnum opuses: 

• The Roof
  • Forever
  • Can't Let Go 
  • I Stay In Love
  • Betcha Gon Know 

Will do, once i get home wub1

Mitski 13,488
5 hours ago, Sylk said:

SYLK TAG LIST

our yoi days aw oprah4 remember our matching sets? ♡