Aion

The Festive Lounge

Question: why does Mariah like You Got Me? That's like a regressive version of Boy. Although, maybe it made sense in the album's "storyline" as a bridge from Yours to I Only Wanted, but I had deleted it from my digital copy and you know what? The sudden transition from Yours to I Only Wanted is fuckin' fabulous. Charmbracelet never needed YGM.

I've been confused with Mariah's decision to feature 98 Degrees and Joe on Thank God I Found You, but I think tonight I finally understand her pov. It's clear that she was connected with Joe the most, but she also liked the guys of 98 Degrees because they raised from Motown Records. I always thought that maybe she could have just featured the group on the album version considering that there's 4 of them already, 5 with Mariah, but Joe's timbre is admittedly more attractive and his singing is far more soulful. It's still kind of sad to see old recordings like this one:

Apparently 98 Degrees also traveled with both Mariah and Joe to Spain (promoting the song, maybe?), but Mariah only talked about how Joe left her in Spain alone. Or something like that, the volume is pretty low. Hear by yourself, around 8:15. This is why she should just collab with one individual OR one group at a time, not both at the same time.

Every Lambs on the planet like to dismiss When I Saw You from Daydream as Mariah's singing practice put onto the album. We aren't wrong, but I Am Free is just as bad if not worse. While probably being the most "daydream" sounding tune, it's just a rehash of So Blessed from the Emotions album. This is why Daydream has never been, is not and never will be Mariah's best album.

Sincerely, Ciara.

P.s. Come to think about it, Forever also sounds like So Blessed. However, it's a different song lyrically, unlike I Am Free which is the exact same song as So Blessed. Same sentiment and all.

49 minutes ago, Butterfly said:

Every Lambs on the planet like to dismiss When I Saw You from Daydream as Mariah's singing practice put onto the album. We aren't wrong, but I Am Free is just as bad if not worse. While probably being the most "daydream" sounding tune, it's just a rehash of So Blessed from the Emotions album. This is why Daydream has never been, is not and never will be Mariah's best album.

Sincerely, Ciara.

P.s. Come to think about it, Forever also sounds like So Blessed. However, it's a different song lyrically, unlike I Am Free which is the exact same song as So Blessed. Same sentiment and all.

I dislike both When I Saw You & I Am Free. fall8

Just now, Kim Woodburn said:

I dislike both When I Saw You & I Am Free. fall8

Can't blame ya. They're the same after all. Not to mention that the singing on both are pretty unfit for the feelings that she wanted to convey. At least When I Saw You had a remarkable bridge, meanwhile I Am Free is too secular to be gospel and not compelling enough to be a good tune.

35 minutes ago, Christopher Roy said:

tell me this song doesn't sound like Hero 

OMG, it does. fall8

She was so trying to have her music box moment there, even the lyrics are very Mariah-esque of that era. 

7 hours ago, Kim Woodburn said:

OMG, it does. fall8

She was so trying to have her music box moment there, even the lyrics are very Mariah-esque of that era. 

i still love the album. Homeless, Forgiveness, Forgive Me, You Bring Me Down, Misses Glass, Bleeding Love, Run, Better in Time, Yesterday all are top tier cry7 

On 1/3/2022 at 10:48 PM, Butterfly said:

Sincerely, Ciara.

I Am free doesn't really sound anything like So Blessed other than the fact that they're both ballad-esque and their lyrics have the same sentiment (which could be said for plenty of Mariah's songs). I Am Free has a far more intricate and soulful structure. But nearly every song on Daydream is "singing practice" for Mariah because of how much she's doing vocally on each one.. When I Saw You is nice, tho. I don't dismiss it as that.

Forever and So Blessed do sound far more alike, tho. Probably because they both have a waltz-like time signature.

On 1/19/2022 at 1:54 PM, Kim Woodburn said:

Mariah probably touched her ear the least amount during the Debut Era. Debut and Emotions was more "Aggressive arm movements" cause she was really making huge gestures. The rest totally make sense tho.