Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Infrared

Teacher to 9 year olds : Give 3 good reasons for slavery

On Monday, the students at Our Redeemer Lutheran School were handed a social studies worksheet that told them to “give 3 ‘good’ reasons for slavery and 3 bad reasons.”  Trameka Brown-Berry, who has a 9-year-old son in the class, told Fox 6 that she was in “shock” over the “highly offensive and insensitive” assignment.

“I couldn’t believe they sent something like that home,” Brown-Berry said. “Not only was my son in an awful position, but the students who weren’t black ― that’s what keeps racism going.”

26220498_10105094231351598_2226140205036

“I feel there is no good reason for slavery that’s why I did not write,” her son answered, as shown in the post.

Principal Jim Van Dellen sent a letter to parents with an apology and said that the teacher didn’t properly describe the task to students, according to the station WISN. 

“We understand that, as presented, the words used showed a lack of sensitivity and were offensive,” Van Dellen wrote. “The purpose of the assignment was not, in any way, to have students argue that ANY slavery is acceptable ― a concept that goes against our core values and beliefs about the equality and worth of people of all races.”

oprah14

I think that's just worded pretty badly. They probably meant something like "What are advantages of slavery for the slave holders?". And they put "good" in quotation marks, so the outcry is not really justified, in my opinion. Unlucky misconception...

17 minutes ago, Bionic Monster said:

The teacher probably meant to say "Give three arguments for slavery that people had at that time" or smth but what a dumbass that s/he couldn't word it betterdead1

Also I stan Jerome now btw @Onika I want a badge put in place immediatelyscream2

how can a 9 yo child respond to that question? Even if the teacher word it better n3eSQu0.png

1 hour ago, Archie said:

how can a 9 yo child respond to that question? Even if the teacher word it better n3eSQu0.png

Good teaching about slavery would include how they justified it when it was happening, and of course how their reasoning was wrong, stupid, and very harmful. Little kids like that aren't going to understand why someone would enslave someone else just because of the color of their skin unless you explain it to them. I'd like to think that that was what this teacher was trying to do, but I feel bad that the kids were put in this situation.:(

And this is one of the reasons why the school system is failing. Teachers that are not adequate enough to teach. No wonder why more people are choosing homeschooling and online school. It's a strange, strange, world we live in.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.