Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Court orders to legalize gay marriage in 20 latin american countries

An international court has ruled that 20 Latin American and Caribbean countries must enact marriage equality.

The Inter-American Court of Human Rights, based in San Jose, Costa Rica, ruled Tuesday that all its signatory countries must grant same-sex couples the same rights as opposite-sex ones, reports Costa Rica’s Tico Times.

The order covers Argentina, Barbados, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, the Dominican Republic, Suriname, and Uruguay. Some of them already have marriage equality, including Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, and some parts of Mexico, but most do not. Some of them offer civil unions, but the court said a separate arrangement for same-sex couples is not acceptable.

Costa Rican President Luis Guillermo Solis, who had promised to expand LGBT rights in his nation, had asked the court two years ago to rule on marriage equality, and today’s decision is its response, Reuters reports. The Costa Rican government praised the ruling, with Vice President Ana Helena Chacon telling a press conference, “The court ... reminds all states on the continent, including ours, of their obligation and historical debt toward this population,” according to Reuters. There were celebratory rallies in Costa Rica and throughout the region.

The court recommended that nations that do not yet have marriage equality enact it by decree while working out legislative changes, the Tico Times reports. It acknowledged that there may be faith-based opposition to same-sex marriage in these heavily Catholic countries, but said that “in democratic societies, there should exist mutually peaceful coexistence between the secular and the religious.”

https://www.advocate.com/marriage-equality/2018/1/10/international-court-ruling-will-spread-marriage-equality-around-latin-america

SSM It's really confusing me here in Mexico, lol jj4

SSM is only legal and performed in like 15 states but they are recognized in all the 31 states interesting1

so you don't perform SSM in most states but still recognize it everywhere? orly1wat2

therefore I see people saying SSM marriage is legal in Mexico and others saying it isn't because of thisanna1

make it legal everywhere thenoprah14

lol hopefully these news will fix this mess aretha1

shock1 I had no idea there was such a group of nations like this, but just the other day I was bemoaning the fact that I wouldn't want to go back to Barbados as they're not so hot on gay rights. 

Although I can't imagine this bill going through without any objections, and may even lead to some countries leaving the union?

4 hours ago, Modern Woman said:

Although I can't imagine this bill going through without any objections, and may even lead to some countries leaving the union?

The name is somewhat misleading: it's not really an "order" in the sense that the countries have to follow it "or else", but just a very strong suggestion. Countries that do not do it will not suffer any consequence. 

It's purpose really is to encourage countries to legalize gay marriage. That's it. 

1 hour ago, jacs vs looser said:

The name is somewhat misleading: it's not really an "order" in the sense that the countries have to follow it "or else", but just a very strong suggestion. Countries that do not do it will not suffer any consequence. 

It's purpose really is to encourage countries to legalize gay marriage. That's it. 

I think that's good enough for now, and with a few South American countries offering same-sex marriage, I'm sure the law will spread naturally. 

Like an epidemic lol1 

Very proud of my country being the first in Latin America to legalise marriage equality. The gay agenda is unstoppable, henny whit1.

On 15/1/2018 at 1:30 PM, Modern Woman said:

shock1 I had no idea there was such a group of nations like this, but just the other day I was bemoaning the fact that I wouldn't want to go back to Barbados as they're not so hot on gay rights. 

The same court has ordered to release political prisoners and certain governments still refuse to, so it's hard to believe that they'll abide by this ruling. dead7. We're living in a time where international law is at a very bleak and precarious point, but still, an important legal precedent is being set here and it's definitely going to help LGBT rights organizations a great deal. moo1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.