Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Courtney Love

Are deluxe editions losing relevance?

Has anyone else noticed that the recent releases of quite a few faves (Beyonce, Katy, Lana, Taylor etc) have had no widespread deluxe edition released to accompany the 'standard'? Even newer artists like Camila and Harry have had no bonus tracks made widely available and Ariana mentioned something to the effect of wanting her next record to be released as one edition.

Could we be seeing the renaissance of the cohesive 10-12 track record? interesting1 Is this something you're happy about? interesting1 It should be noted that most rock and indie artists have continued to release in this format.   

I think it's far more of a business decision than it is an artistic one. Deluxe editions were always meant to be a sales-booster. Now that sales have lost most of their former cachet, it makes sense that many artists wouldn't bother to release projects with bonus tracks in most markets. I can only speak for Lana, but I know that she disliked the concept of deluxe versions from the start and only had deluxe editions of Born to Die and Ultraviolence because the higher-ups at Interscope handed down the directive.

8 minutes ago, sonowgoodbye said:

(should this be in battlegrounds? mad5)

Music Mania is for general discussion about music unrelated to a particular fave, but with trolling restrictions. This is the right section for this thread.

I think we will see an evolution of the "deluxe". Standard albums will be available for streaming and digital. CD's will be sold as "deluxe" at Walmart/Target/Amazon.

6 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

possibly, but I like bonus tracks if they are good.  Many release better bonus than standard tracks.  I also like bonus tracks if the album is short like 10-11 songs

Bonus tracks are often intended to be better than some album tracks to entice buyers and are intentionally left off the standard album. If we just had one edition it would be all killer, no filler. 

7 minutes ago, ajp said:

I think we will see an evolution of the "deluxe". Standard albums will be available for streaming and digital. CD's will be sold as "deluxe" at Walmart/Target/Amazon.

This idea makes sense from a fan point of view, and would definitely boost the physical sales for big artists such as Taylor. I think record companies used a similar tactic in the 80s when CDs were just becoming popular, so sometimes they had an extra track or two to get people to buy the new format. Mind you, I might just be basing that on The Sensual World...

6 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

possibly, but I like bonus tracks if they are good.  Many release better bonus than standard tracks.  I also like bonus tracks if the album is short like 10-11 songs

I sometimes squeal when I see the tracklists of old albums and there's only 3/4 tracks each side jj4 The stinginess. But 10-12 tracks is normal, anything more for a standard album is just excessive. 

As a side note, I hope re-release EPs lose relevance trash1 They never get released separately in the UK and I've always objected to the idea of buying the whole thing again.

10 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

This idea makes sense from a fan point of view, and would definitely boost the physical sales for big artists such as Taylor. I think record companies used a similar tactic in the 80s when CDs were just becoming popular, so sometimes they had an extra track or two to get people to buy the new format. Mind you, I might just be basing that on The Sensual World...

They did actually do this quite a fair bit; Madonna's You Can Dance is another release that had CD exclusive tracks. They also released them in useless 'long boxes' so buyers felt like they had a special collectible and also to stop stealing because they were so much smaller jj4 

7 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

I sometimes squeal when I see the tracklists of old albums and there's only 3/4 tracks each side jj4 The stinginess. But 10-12 tracks is normal, anything more for a standard album is just excessive. 

Bowie's Station To Station consists of only six tracks and it's one his best jj4 I much prefer shorter albums (regardless of individual track lengths) than one with a heap of useless material that would have been cut had it been 10+years earlier.

5 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

CDs in the 80's were so expensive. I can see them doing a track or two to get people to buy them. Also with more storage, they could now offer those extra tracks which they couldn't do on vinyl or cassette due to space. 

Most bonus tracks came as B-sides to 7" vinyl - so no need to add them to a standard album. 

Not sure when deluxe issues started - but if we dug deep, I would place my bet on Madonna.

Ellie and her 50+ deluxe tracks are shaking fall9

Deluxe editions don't really do anything to the albums anymore, and unless they feature some sort of fan collectible I'd abstain from them. I like the idea of dropping a standard album, and then adding deluxe tracks to them within a few months. Avoid the hassle of a re-release, but still keep album interest alive jj2

1 minute ago, Courtney Love said:

They did actually do this quite a fair bit; Madonna's You Can Dance is another release that had CD exclusive tracks. They also released them in useless 'long boxes' so buyers felt like they had a special collectible and also to stop stealing because they were so much smaller jj4 

Bowie's Station To Station consists of only six tracks and it's one his best jj4 I much prefer shorter albums (regardless of individual track lengths) than one with a heap of useless material that would have been cut had it been 10+years earlier.

Oh good I'm glad I wasn't just pulling that "fact" out of my arse jj4 Oh I am still pressed at long boxes - the deluxe edition of Born To Die still sticks out on my shelf and RUINS EVERYTHING fall9 

Well in those days they were bound by time limits, and there were a lot of artists who seemed to think long = masterpiece jj4 At least back then a lot of artists released albums yearly, whereas now you have to wait years for your fave to rustle up 12-20 tracks, half of which you don't use anyway jj3 

1 minute ago, ajp said:

CDs in the 80's were so expensive. I can see them doing a track or two to get people to buy them. Also with more storage, they could now offer those extra tracks which they couldn't do on vinyl or cassette due to space. 

Most bonus tracks came as B-sides to 7" vinyl - so no need to add them to a standard album. 

Not sure when deluxe issues started - but if we dug deep, I would place my bet on Madonna.

Madonna's first proper deluxe release (as in one that coincided with the standard edition and was widely available) wasn't until MDNA in 2012

5 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

Oh good I'm glad I wasn't just pulling that "fact" out of my arse jj4 Oh I am still pressed at long boxes - the deluxe edition of Born To Die still sticks out on my shelf and RUINS EVERYTHING fall9 

Well in those days they were bound by time limits, and there were a lot of artists who seemed to think long = masterpiece jj4 At least back then a lot of artists released albums yearly, whereas now you have to wait years for your fave to rustle up 12-20 tracks, half of which you don't use anyway jj3 

Us Stevie stans know all too well about time constraints. Lest we forget the Silver Springs/Rumors fiasco fall9 I low key wished they gave us yearly 10 tracks albums again. The material usually ended up better because they didn't have time to ruin it wendy4 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.