Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Courtney Love

Are deluxe editions losing relevance?

3 minutes ago, ajp said:

CDs in the 80's were so expensive. I can see them doing a track or two to get people to buy them. Also with more storage, they could now offer those extra tracks which they couldn't do on vinyl or cassette due to space. 

Most bonus tracks came as B-sides to 7" vinyl - so no need to add them to a standard album. 

Not sure when deluxe issues started - but if we dug deep, I would place my bet on Madonna.

Oh that is just the kind of irrelevant crap to send me into a search spiral jj4 I'm not sure about deluxe editions, but I'd put my money on it that albums reissued to include new tracks predate Madonna. But those were the days when albums were released with different tracklists and covers in different markets. It's all a tad confusing.

2 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

True if u look at discographies of artists back in the 60s 70s they release albums like every 6 months it seemed

And so many of them flopped jj4 The album charts in the 60s and early 70s made big stars look like utter failures, meanwhile something like The Sound of Music soundtrack would be at #1 for weeks.

3 minutes ago, Courtney Love said:

Us Stevie stans know all too well about time constraints. Lest we forget the Silver Springs/Rumours fiasco fall9 I low key wished they gave us yearly 10 tracks albums again. The material usually ended up better because they didn't have time to ruin it wendy4 

I still seethe about Silver Slays fall9fall9fall9 Mostly because Oh Daddy and Never Going Back Again exist fall9 

I agRita, so many albums get delayed because they're "not quite ready/finished/perfect" yet, and the poor artist has to pretend that they want to make it the best album for their fans, when really it's record label meddling. Bionic, for instance wendy4 

56 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

I still seethe about Silver Slays fall9fall9fall9 Mostly because Oh Daddy and Never Going Back Again exist fall9 

I agRita, so many albums get delayed because they're "not quite ready/finished/perfect" yet, and the poor artist has to pretend that they want to make it the best album for their fans, when really it's record label meddling. Bionic, for instance wendy4 

Dua, Camila, Zara, Charlie Puth... the list goes on and on wendy4 

I think they're just a) a gift to fans and b) a sales-booster, but they don't have a huge impact anymore because of the streaming era, it'll just give a few extra tracks to stream

I feel like the only person who doesn't like short albums. The fact that 4H, Camila, and Harry all released 10-track albums really irritated me. Even though I love (most of) the songs on them, I don't like that they're so darn short. I vastly prefer longer albums - and they don't even have to be like, super long (like Trip by Jhene) but 12 - 14 is my favorite length. It's much easier to replay-spam albums with more than 10 tracks too...

But to answer the actual question, yes. Yes they are.

I'm sure they are but I kinda like deluxe editions! It's cool to see the cover art variation (if they have any) and I love hearing more from my artist! Especially since a lot of songs people call "fillers" i tend to enjoy. I just love having the most out of an artist especially when recently many artists are taking 2-4 year breaks at times. 

(plus knowing how record labels are i feel like deluxe tracks get the artist a better chance of getting songs they want on the album... Don't think I could survive if Glory or Warrior had to delete some tracks jj4)

1 hour ago, Kuba said:

Ellie and her 50+ deluxe tracks are shaking fall9

Deluxe editions don't really do anything to the albums anymore, and unless they feature some sort of fan collectible I'd abstain from them. I like the idea of dropping a standard album, and then adding deluxe tracks to them within a few months. Avoid the hassle of a re-release, but still keep album interest alive jj2

Oh my god Ellie’s re-releases rip2 For Lights it made sense, but the new tracks on Halcyon Days just needed an EP, because they really didn’t fit the album and just made it longer than it needed to be. Glad Delirium didn’t suffer the same fate.

As a lot of people already mentioned, it boils down to streaming. Deluxe editions were a thing of the physical era, but since most record companies aren't "pushing" physical sales anymore, it is natural that deluxe versions (at least in the traditional sense) will die out.

22 minutes ago, Anna-wa said:

I feel like the only person who doesn't like short albums. The fact that 4H, Camila, and Harry all released 10-track albums really irritated me. Even though I love (most of) the songs on them, I don't like that they're so darn short. I vastly prefer longer albums - and they don't even have to be like, super long (like Trip by Jhene) but 12 - 14 is my favorite length. It's much easier to replay-spam albums with more than 10 tracks too...

I somewhat agree with you: I really don't like 10 track albums, they feel kind of lazy to me. On the other hand, over 14 tracks feels like overkill most of the time, with lots of fillers and songs that add nothing but length. So yeah, 12 to 14 is the ideal IMO. 

I have to say that I like deluxe editions, I mean I really like to hear bonus tracks, another cover that could have been the chosen one by the artist but not by the label and all those kind of variations. Even if they don't have impact. But about the question, yes they are loosing relevance since this is the "streaming era" and I think we won't have another physical era anytime soon, unless someone comes with a big thing. I personally feel like Gaga or the pop girls could revive this, but, even if they try it again it sounds too hard to do it. 

1 hour ago, jacs vs looser said:

I somewhat agree with you: I really don't like 10 track albums, they feel kind of lazy to me. On the other hand, over 14 tracks feels like overkill most of the time, with lots of fillers and songs that add nothing but length. So yeah, 12 to 14 is the ideal IMO. 

Exactly! lj1 

9 hours ago, Miss Movin' On said:

Good decision.  Some of these bonus tracks are only available in random countries. Kinda unfair to rest of the population.

Like "I Have Questions" in Japan. :P

18 hours ago, Anna-wa said:

Although, Camila's record ends up being 13 tracks, if you add the leftovers to the tracklist.

25 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Although, Camila's record ends up being 13 tracks, if you add the leftovers to the tracklist.

Yes but also two of those extra three are just different versions of other songs on the album (NBTS radio edit and Havana remix). So. It still feels too small.

27 minutes ago, Anna-wa said:

Yes but also two of those extra three are just different versions of other songs on the album (NBTS radio edit and Havana remix). So. It still feels too small.

I really the leftovers "Crying in the Club", "OMG" and "I Have Questions"

1 minute ago, Gabriel said:

I really the leftovers "Crying in the Club", "OMG" and "I Have Questions"

Oh I thought you were talking about the Japan edition of the album that has NBTS Radio Edit, Havana Remix, and I Have Questions as tracks 11 - 13.

Yes I love CITC and OMG but they're not part of any edition of Camila so I don't count them as songs from the album...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.