Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Philip

Let's talk J.Lo

1 minute ago, Michael. said:

No she hasn't. oprah14 

Both Rihanna and Beyoncé have sold more than 35M albums, JLo has sold less than that. oprah14 

You may be overstating JLo's career a bit:

Her last successful album was in 2002 (She had Rebirth in 2005 which wasn't a big flop but wasn't a smash either in 2005) oprah14 

Her only hit that really stands out is OTF which sold over 11 million, before and after that she never reached big numbers like that again. Her best selling single excluding OTF sold around 3M which is not a lot in comparison to the other pop girls since we're comparing here. oprah14 

Her last effort was a total flop which sold less than Glory, Lotus, Witness... oprah14 

her albums and movies get mediocre scores, they receive mixed to negative reviews oprah14 

End ha nicki3

I love Jlo's bops. She's an amazing performer. On the other hand, her career has been managed wrongly throughout the years. She has been in the industry for almost 20 years and yet she managed to have only one world tour even with hits after hits.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

J.Lo was never a vocalist, she was a performer, and she can still perform extremely well, too bad Mariah can't do the one thing she was good at

original.gif

Denying Mariah's vocal ability in 2018 is not cute sweeties. Mariah outsuccessed, outtalented, outaccoladed, outsold, outeverything, she's a part of the vocal trinity, the legends you don't compare where you don't compete. That being said, a clown from the circus put in the right place can perform, in today's time performers who truly matter are of the likes of Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Madonna etc. Her catalog is subpar, she was never a singer, never a songwriter, not even a good actress, her public appearances, judging stints and public relationships have overshadowed majority of career. She was lucky to walk the way that Gloria Estefan, Shakira etc paved, no impact, no influence, just a bunch of quick little singles like On The Floor which sent it's handful of producers cashing at the bank. Even the $300M net worth mentioned in the OP was accumulated via endorsements and what not.. the cream rises to the top, and sadly for Jennifer Lopez she's skim milk.

Image result for talking atrl gif

She hasn't scored five #1 singles, only four and Beyoncé has scored six, not five. She has never been a prominent figure in any industry, she's mediocre in music and she's mediocre in movies. She's a great dancer and has almost always delivered good looks, but that's about it. Her success and talent has always been mediocre compared to that of her peers. And her discography has way more flops than successes. moo6

5 minutes ago, Sylk said:

Denying Mariah's vocal ability in 2018 is not cute sweeties. Mariah outsuccessed, outtalented, outaccoladed, outsold, outeverything, she's a part of the vocal trinity, the legends you don't compare where you don't compete. That being said, a clown from the circus put in the right place can perform, in today's time performers who truly matter are of the likes of Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Madonna etc. Her catalog is subpar, she was never a singer, never a songwriter, not even a good actress, her public appearances, judging stints and public relationships have overshadowed majority of career. She was luck to walk the way that Gloria Estefan, Shakira etc paved, no impact, no influence, just a bunch of quick little singles like On The Floor which sent it's handful of producers cashing at the bank. Even the $300M net worth mentioned in the OP was accumulated via endorsements and what not.. the cream rises to the top, and sadly for Jennifer Lopez she's skim milk.

Image result for talking atrl gif

Now that was a read

She doesn’t get enough credit for, like, surviving, which is an accomplishment for women over 21 it seems, and she definitely had her moment when her movies were popular and her music was too, but the ONLY thing that’s a definitive skill that she has is her dancing. Sure she’s beautiful but all the pop girls (don’t @ me) are so that’s not a receipt. 

The problem is that yes she can act, but her movies aren’t classics. Yes she can sing, but her entire early catalogue relies too heavily on Christina Milian-esque backup singers doing the heavy lifting. She has ONE good album (which i’d argue is This Is Me... Then) but even it has some cringe af moments vocally and lyrically. She’s a great performer, to get back to her skills, but again, what iconic performances can we point to?  People who say she sucks are wrong—that’s not the problem—it’s that she hasn’t really done any one thing so well that her image and numbers don’t feel a little empty when you stack her up next to other pop girls.

The stuff in the OP about her being successful despite her age and even though she’s Latina is all tea, BUT let’s not pretend there wasn’t a HUGE wave of Latin culture becoming mainstream right when she took off. She didn’t start it—she benefited from it. And I’m happy it happened, but we can’t credit her for being successful only despite something like that when it was an asset in another way.  

She's a global success, yes – but that's probably of her latin influences in her music. Right? (I dunno I don't really listen to her jj4) I just know she's popular in Latin countries.

Her music is pretty mediocre, and, yes, she's a good dancer, but there were plenty of others who were better dancers. 

She has aged well, tho. jj2 

2 hours ago, petedagrk said:

isnt that about normal?

Idk it was her first world wide tour but there was no hype at all. And it's a shame coz she deserves much more recognition. Honestly she delivered better choreography than Beyonce's FWT and a much better show than 1989 world tour. so quality-logic would suggest that she should have grossed at least 200M, right? It's like she is lacking of charisma in some way.

Yassss I low key always enjoy me some J.lo I think the reason why her success is always overlooked is because she’s a part time singer. 

At her peak of success with music/film/being a celebrity (2001-2003), she managed a bunch of hit singles but she never had a career defining album as an artist. Also, she never toured til like a few years ago. Those factors along with her going back and forth between dance, hip hop and Latin, kind of just put her in a unique position where she’s not really considered a pop star. 

13 hours ago, havok said:

She hasn't scored five #1 singles, only four and Beyoncé has scored six, not five. She has never been a prominent figure in any industry, she's mediocre in music and she's mediocre in movies. She's a great dancer and has almost always delivered good looks, but that's about it. Her success and talent has always been mediocre compared to that of her peers. And her discography has way more flops than successes. moo6

"she's never been a prominent figure in any industry" orangu1 like sis.... orangu1 bye.

she sold over 80 million records and grossed almost 3bn at the box office "never been prominent" bye orangu1 

14 hours ago, Michael. said:

No she hasn't. oprah14 

Both Rihanna and Beyoncé have sold more than 35M albums, JLo has sold less than that. oprah14 

You may be overstating JLo's career a bit:

Her last successful album was in 2002 (She had Rebirth in 2005 which wasn't a big flop but wasn't a smash either in 2005) oprah14 

Her only hit that really stands out is OTF which sold over 11 million, before and after that she never reached big numbers like that again. Her best selling single excluding OTF sold around 3M which is not a lot in comparison to the other pop girls since we're comparing here. oprah14 

Her last effort was a total flop which sold less than Glory, Lotus, Witness... oprah14 

her albums and movies get mediocre scores, they receive mixed to negative reviews oprah14 

Clock me about the albums, and no, they all sold similar number of albums oprah14 

She was 36 in 2005, no wonder her music career started declining, yet she still managed to stay successful and relevant after that oprah14 

OTF still sold more than any Beyonce/Britney/Xtina digital single (lead) oprah14 so stop acting like it's not an impressive feat ny12 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.