Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

frankgutz

Sony tweets Kesha; gets dragged & deletes tweet

Among the fans watching at home was Kesha’s record label, Sony Music, which has held a frustratingly opaque position in the singer’s rape and harassment allegations and subsequent contract dispute against Luke. In a portion of a lawsuit from 2015, Kesha accused Sony of complicity, claiming that label executives “either knew of the conduct and turned a blind eye, failed to investigate Dr. Luke’s conduct, failed to take any corrective action, or actively concealed Dr. Luke’s abuse.” Sony has said it does not have the power to end the contract between Kesha and Dr. Luke, once one of its star pop producers. Luke reportedly continues to profit from his own companies’ stake in the publishing rights to Kesha’s material.

And then, Sony Music chimed in with a tweet. It, uh, did not go over well.

“No words,” it said. “All love. #GRAMMYS.”

https://twitter.com/sonymusicglobal/status/957806799960313856

Many of the people who replied called out Sony Music, accusing it of being complicit in Dr. Luke’s alleged behavior. Others simply used the hashtag #FreeKesha, a common way for fans to advocate for her freedom from her contract with Sony Music.

kesha-grammys-performance.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

https://www.spin.com/2018/01/grammys-2018-kesha-dr-luke-sony-music-tweet/?utm_source=share-tw&utm_medium=button

30 minutes ago, Venus XCX said:

Just give her the budgets she deserves and let her release her music. We don't need any other sort of support since yall didn't support her when she most needed it. 

giphy.gif 

They had very low expectations for Rainbow. You could see that in all those low-budget videos, Praying not having a first-day radio deal, the minimal promotion, etc. It has exceeded their expectations and I hope they will invest more coins in her next era, so that her full potential can be used.

25 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Unfortunately, yes. But hopefully they'll up the budget for her next era yas2

The difference between those labels when it comes that never fails to impress me. If Kesha was signed to Universal, she would be treated way differently. Just look at how Katy still gets high-budget videos, although she released flop after flop and how Kelly suddenly got the most expensive video of her career with LSS after switching from RCA to Atlantic. If Kesha wanted to leave RCA when her contract is over, I‘m sure Universal would not hesitate a second to sign her up.

1 minute ago, TomTom2288 said:

Yes

mess... i hope she can go to another label, i dont know who's worst RCA or EPIC, my main fave Mandy Moore was with EPIC and they were messy back then too, she barely got promoted in her MM/C eras and in her second record they only shot one video for IWBWY

Just now, frankgutz said:

mess... i hope she can go to another label, i dont know who's worst RCA or EPIC, my main fave Mandy Moore was with EPIC and they were messy back then too, she barely got promoted in her MM/C eras and in her second record they only shot one video for IWBWY

She still has to release two or three albums under them until her contract is over.

Well, they treat her not that bad actually. They managed her comeback very well (no comparison to when Dr. Luke alone was still in charge of her career). But they could really invest more in her, that's basically the problem.

5 minutes ago, frankgutz said:

Isnt RCA Christina Aguilera label?? They always have been messy af

Yeah; but they also do Britney, Sia, Taylor Swift, etc.

1 minute ago, TomTom2288 said:

She still has to release two or three albums under them until her contract is over.

Well, they treat her not that bad actually. They managed her comeback very well (no comparison to when Dr. Luke alone was still in charge of her career). But they could really invest more in her, that's basically the problem.

Well, at least she already have 3 videos/singles, and i loved the 3 videos i guess ure right, Prayiing & LTLG are really gorgeous, specially LTLG i loved that one, the retro scenes with present were so cute

Just now, Dan said:

Yeah; but they also do Britney, Sia, Taylor Swift, etc.

Britney promo theam is a mess, idk about Sia since i onnly followed her when seh was doing Downtempo/Trip-Hop and i think TS is under her own label? she's like the biggest artist of her label and she makes $$ so she can spend whatever she wants

Just now, frankgutz said:

Well, at least she already have 3 videos/singles, and i loved the 3 videos i guess ure right, Prayiing & LTLG are really gorgeous, specially LTLG i loved that one, the retro scenes with present were so cute

Four videos actually (Rainbow too). That was all great, but they are very cautious when it comes to everything else. They never discounted anything by Kesha on iTunes (that's actually great, but it could have given Praying a boost), she only had three TV appearances during the whole era so far (solo): Good Morning America, Fallon and Ellen. They rarely give her some Spotify Payola (Good Old Days was on TTH for a long time, but Praying not - she needs the streams though) and her videos are mostly low-budget. They probably had to divide the money on all the four videos this era and their expectations have been low, but she needs better videos in the future.

6 minutes ago, frankgutz said:

Britney promo theam is a mess, idk about Sia since i onnly followed her when seh was doing Downtempo/Trip-Hop and i think TS is under her own label? she's like the biggest artist of her label and she makes $$ so she can spend whatever she wants

Yes, Taylor Swift is on Big Machine records.

6 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

Four videos actually (Rainbow too). That was all great, but they are very cautious when it comes to everything else. They never discounted anything by Kesha on iTunes (that's actually great, but it could have given Praying a boost), she only had three TV appearances during the whole era so far (solo): Good Morning America, Fallon and Ellen. They rarely give her some Spotify Payola (Good Old Days was on TTH for a long time, but Praying not - she needs the streams though) and her videos are mostly low-budget. They probably had to divide the money on all the four videos this era and their expectations have been low, but she needs better videos in the future.

WaiT i didnt knew about the Rainbow video and i lke the song, i only knew about P LTLG & W, mess..., btw, THEY DO NEED TO FIX THE PAYOLA ON SPOTIFY, its the same problem with GAGA, smh

I went to search it on YT, i always thought that was a BTS from the making of the Rainbow album and never watched it

3 minutes ago, frankgutz said:

WaiT i didnt knew about the Rainbow video and i lke the song, i only knew about P LTLG & W, mess..., btw, THEY DO NEED TO FIX THE PAYOLA ON SPOTIFY, its the same problem with GAGA, smh

I went to search it on YT, i always thought that was a BTS from the making of the Rainbow album and never watched it

They filmed a video for Hymn too, but it hasn't been released so far.

Yeah, Praying was her first song to be released in the streaming era. They have to work on her streaming asap.

OMG, Nolmfao1

Mess. The music industry honestly makes Hollywood look enlightened in comparison. 

As wonderful and moving as the performance was, it's a little disheartening that Kesha had to carry the weight of addressing #MeToo and #TimesUp, when that's something that should have been at the forefront of the ceremony. She was up there performing her trauma to a room full of the industry people that enabled her abuse, refused to believe her, and let her career whither, and then they got to walk away patting themselves on the back for being woke and pretending they always supported her without doing anything to address the abuse and sexism rampant in their industry. I know some folks were worried about other performers being up there, but I'm glad she didn't have to do it completely alone. Those women had her back. 

But yeah, that said, I don't want to imply the performance shouldn't have happened. I'm really glad it did, because it was meaningful to so many people, it was a beautiful moment of solidarity between women, and it seems have been incredibly affirming for Kesha. Not to mention all the good press, which she damn well deserves. Her strength and grace and resilience through everything is really inspiring. I just wish the music industry started making real efforts to clean house. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.