LÉON

The Tastemakers Thread

10 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Randomly discovered this song on Spotify. It reminds me of some of those early 00s bops.

Sounds like a basic Kali Uchis. I love her aesthetic though.

Just now, Madonna said:

I find Kali Uchis a bit too mellow at times. But I guess it's a matter of "acquired taste".

I kind of know what you mean. Kali is not quite punchy enough.

3 hours ago, SeekingThrill said:

@LÉON

Diamonds Cutting Diamonds is awesome. shock1 

It sounds like an 80s synthpop gem. alex1 

You may also like this one:

11 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

All Mirrors slay. lj1

I also like You're So Cool by Jonathan Bree.

SeekingThrill serving taste as usual wendy1

9 hours ago, Urbanov said:

can’t get over this perfection giveup2 

I've been attempting to get into her. Let me give her another spin wendy1

[Pressed play] that autotune ari1

On 3/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, Urbanov said:

Autotune as one of the many many many instruments used to make a track - is this concept really difficult to grasp in 2020? wendy1 

Image result for and i'm not here for that gif

@SeekingThrill I tried Mike Myers beyond Running Up That Hill, but ha voice and sound is not the tea juicy1

Off the top of my head, this has very strong DCD vibes production-wise:

I never know if it's weird or a bop juicy1

This has huge 80s film noir vibes. That intro... I can basically smell the smoke rising in the back-street café at 12am:

I assume you already know Experiment IV from Kate's Bush? juicy1 Do you also know Heads We're Dancing? Very terrifying indeed jj2 But back to songs you probably don't know yet, like this one, which has an element of mystery about it in the lyrics, and a very frantic beat that feels like it could be from a psychological horror film chase scene:

You also wanted a male voice for some reason jj3 Try this one, it's very early 80s, but it is basically a thriller in lyrical form:

This one is actually named after a film noir juicy1

And I've saved the best til last of course hottie1hottie1hottie1 The best song and music video of the 80s, yes juicy1

Hope that got you in the right zone jj2 I'll add more if/when I think of them.

EDIT: I chuffed up the spoilers, so please scroll and click through jj2

@LÉON

I wanted you to suggest some modern synthpop artists, not  the ones from the 80s or the 90s. jj2  I stan Shura, Georgia and Bat For Lashes. So, something similar to them.

I know every Kate Bush song. eve1  I know Siouxsie. jj2  Visage's Fade To Gray is a bop. I recommend you On We Go and Seven Deadly Sins. lj1 I know Vienna.

That The Passions cover looks so good. lj1 

13 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

@LÉON

I wanted you to suggest some modern synthpop artists, not  the ones from the 80s or the 90s. jj2  I stan Shura, Georgia and Bat For Lashes. So, something similar to them.

I know every Kate Bush song. eve1  I know Siouxsie. jj2  Visage's Fade To Gray is a bop. I recommend you On We Go and Seven Deadly Sins. lj1 I know Vienna.

That The Passions cover looks so good. lj1 

So my efforts were wasted? jj4 I will try and think of some more modern ones later.

Do you like Visage's Damned? um2 Or Vienna? um2

The Passions is probably the best one for you at this moment in time. It still sounds fresh, yet classique juicy1

@SeekingThrill I'm back juicy1lj1

You wanted modern synthpop artists, so you got modern synthpop artists you ungrateful cow juicy1

1. Siobhan Donaghy. Very Cocteau Twins. Shades of Bat For Lashes. Good at making her own soundscape on the Ghosts album, of which this the highlight:

2. Alizée. I was speaking to a friend about her the other day, and the best way to describe he album Une enfant du siècle is "how the future might have sounded in the 1960s". These are the highlights:

3. The 1975 - for one song only. You may already know it, but it is a moody, 80s synthpop BOP:

4. In a similar moody vein, here's one from Spector, who aren't very good, but this is a bright spot:

5. Susanne Sundfor - Norwegian ice queen, who has lazily been compared to ABBA but she's more like Enya with a drink problem. She has three solid gold bops, I have put them in order of radio-friendly pop song, dramatic ballad, and scary murderous track shock2. I feel like the last one will be your fave jj2

That will do for now jj2

11 hours ago, LÉON said:

So my efforts were wasted? jj4 I will try and think of some more modern ones later.

Do you like Visage's Damned? um2 Or Vienna? um2

The Passions is probably the best one for you at this moment in time. It still sounds fresh, yet classique juicy1

No. eve1 Your suggestions were OK. I always like to discover new acts from the 80s.

Visage's song is OK. I need to check  their 80s albums. I have listened to their 2010s albums. Do you stan them? Do you know the songs I mentioned above?

Vienna is OK. I have never been crazy about it, but I would listen to it.