Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

WarrenThanksYouAll

Better singer : Bey Vs. Gaga

Bey Vs. Gaga  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Better Singer?

16 hours ago, JupiterRising said:

one artist hitting a F5, F#5, G5, and A5 while dancing.

another artist dodging the G5 climactic note in a televised performance where she is standing. (@ 2:29) ny5 

the winner is clear. 

tumblr_mr4fqn6E9V1qgc5ajo1_500.gif

Range does not make you a better singer

Gaga strains too much which makes her not as good as Bey. She is still a great singer 🤷‍♀️ just not Beyoncé

19 minutes ago, tellemhone said:

Gaga strains too much which makes her not as good as Bey. She is still a great singer 🤷‍♀️ just not Beyoncé

Pretty sure bey’s range exceeds gaga’s anyway rip3 not that it’s about range - but her technique, adlibs, tone and melisma completely outshines gaga’s theatrical vocals

1 hour ago, Gemma Collins said:

Pretty sure bey’s range exceeds gaga’s anyway rip3 not that it’s about range - but her technique, adlibs, tone and melisma completely outshines gaga’s theatrical vocals

This x1,000.

I mean I don't care for her music anymore but Gaga is clearly an outstanding vocalist and only haters will deny it.  She has the belts and when she fancies, she has a beautiful soft register.

HOWEVER, Beyonce has a broader range and sounds controlled and not-flat (sorry Gagz) across that range which makes her better.  She also knows her way around a song in a way that Gaga just, doesn't, a lot of the time.  Gaga seems to sing a lot of the time like a child who's having fun with a superpower, whereas Beyonce is the seasoned pro who manages the instrument in superior fashion, and has done it while dancing for like 20 years now.  All that's icing, though, because first and foremost, her voice is, I think, superior because of the range and her control.  I can't think of another singer that's in Mariah/Whitney league for being able to belt and sing softly as beautifully as she does.

On 2/20/2018 at 5:30 PM, havok said:

Beyoncé is infinitely better than the fad. The fad is a good singer thanks to her theater background/training but she's nowhere near the level of virtuosity that Beyoncé possesses. Beyoncé is currently the best vocalist in pop music, and the best one since Whitney/Mariah.

Fadga could never, NEVER. 

Christina says hi bitch

tumblr_m1ys41PZSd1r33943o1_500.gif

xtina4 

20 hours ago, Sylk said:

Both amazing but Beyonce overall better. She has the range, the control, the consistency of tone. I doubt Gaga would be able to sing Listen or Love on Top, where as Beyonce could sing any Gaga song any day with ease

nope. 

6 hours ago, tellemhone said:

really? cause from what i can see in this thread all you beyonce fans keep bringing up range. and truthfully that is the only thing that marginally separates Gaga from bey. marginally.  i will prove it shortly. 

5 hours ago, Gemma Collins said:

by about 3 notes at most. Gaga has an equal expertise in the use of melismas and adlibs. 

4 hours ago, Satori said:

This x1,000.

I mean I don't care for her music anymore but Gaga is clearly an outstanding vocalist and only haters will deny it.  She has the belts and when she fancies, she has a beautiful soft register.

HOWEVER, Beyonce has a broader range and sounds controlled and not-flat (sorry Gagz) across that range which makes her better.  She also knows her way around a song in a way that Gaga just, doesn't, a lot of the time.  Gaga seems to sing a lot of the time like a child who's having fun with a superpower, whereas Beyonce is the seasoned pro who manages the instrument in superior fashion, and has done it while dancing for like 20 years now.  All that's icing, though, because first and foremost, her voice is, I think, superior because of the range and her control.  I can't think of another singer that's in Mariah/Whitney league for being able to belt and sing softly as beautifully as she does.

again with the range. as beautifully as she does? i know you all hate Xtina. but damn. Christina OBLITERATES bey vocally. so much so beyonce could never stand a chance. but anyways, this is not about Christina vs. Bey. its about Gaga vs. bey. so lets lay this all to rest. 

GAGA vs. BEYONCE

Range

with regards to range both of them are of almost equal footing. Gaga has a range that spans (well executed) from C3 to about A5. Beyonce has a range that spans from B2 to about B5 (C6- personally i wouldnt count this seeing as she sounds SHRILL AS FUCK pulled off live, but i will give it to her). so for those of you fags @Sylk@Gemma Collins @Satori saying beys vocal range FAR SURPASSES fadgas. this is 100% completely rotundly and supremely false.

for those of you who dont know how vocal range works. here is a small breakdown. there are 7 notations (common system of range classification) and each note can be hit at varying frequencies. the notes are C D E F G A B- always in this order. C4 is the note which most people sing without going higher or lower.

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 - C4 is known as middle C.

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

C6 D6 E6 F6 G6 A6 B6 - C6 is known as soprano C because very few people can hit this note well- girls have it much easier. but even someone like bey has trouble with this note

C7... (here is Mariah, Christina, Ariana Grande territory) 

Gagas range is:

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

total of 2 octaves and 6 notes

beyonces range is:

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

C6 D6 E6 F6 G6 A6 B6

total of 3 octaves and 2 notes

so for those of you saying beyonce has an infinitely wider range. she actually only bests Gaga with about 3 notes- she isnt even a whole octave superior to Gaga. 1 more lower note and 2 higher notes. and when you compare their higher notes bey doesnt execute those well. proven by her constantly dodging the high notes in live performances. look at the two videos i posted earlier of Gaga hitting a G5 while having danced her ass off and beyonce dodging the G5 in Listen. beyonces higher notes are always shrill as fuck. and live Gaga HITS EVERY SINGLE NOTE IN HER SONGS the majority of times. the same cannot be said about beyonce. xtina11 

and for those super high notes (F5 to B5(C6)) both of them utilize falsetto instead of head voice. head voice is so much harder. in my opinion, the reason Gaga doesnt go higher is because she hasnt trained this part of her voice and does not utilize it. because in her younger years she was able to hit F5s and G5s in head voice and with massive power. i.e. electric kiss. 

Power and Projection

this is where they begin to separate and a higher contrast is seen. power is the ability to add decibels to a frequency without altering pitch or key. projection is the ability to extend the radius of the auditory field of a note, in other words how far or close the mic must be from the singer so that they achieve a desired power. have you ever noticed Christina has to pull the mic away when singing her super high notes? thats because her power and projection would cause the mic feedback to blare out. 

Gaga: Gaga has been trained musical theatre (no mic- most of the time). this means she has been put through the ringer in terms of mastering projection. Gaga is no slouch when it comes to power. look up her performances of Edge of Glory, Perfection Illusion, Sound of Music, and Bang Bang. 

notice how far she pulls the mic away and you CAN STILL hear her vibrato resonating through the large room. this is fucking power baby.

here she displays just how much control she has over exercising power over each note. her dynamic as a singer is jaw dropping. going one second from belting C5s/D5s to cooing C4s (2:37 to 2:39). the sudden change in notes between 3:27 to 3:30.

amazing mastery of the belting range (B4 to D5). all her notes are robust, clear, resonated, and she can effortlessly add and take away vibrato from the notes.

beyonce: beyonce is not classically or theatrically trained in music. she just participated in singing competitions and school programs. so as to her technique or development with power and projection, nothing is of a direct testament. however, she does possess a potent voice and demonstrates very acute control. but from what i have seen she does not focus much on projection as she does power. 

as you can see she can hit all the notes in the belting range (B4 to D5). but she keeps that mic as close to her mouth without actually swallowing it. her notes are strong and her projection is solid, but it is not of an expertise comparable to someone who is a trained singer. she does of course show great control of her voice, resonance, and effortless vibrato (although can be too fast).

so when it comes to power and projection both are equal in power but Gaga trumps beyonce with projection. IMO beyonce doesnt focus on projecting because if she did she could lose the ability to do more complex melismas and adlibs. projecting requires you to stiffen muscles in your larynx and throat, forfeiting dexterity and agility of the vocal chords (that is why Gaga has that operatic quality to her live singing). if she did i am sure she could be of an equal footing as someone as Gaga.

Dynamic (Melisma and Adlibs- pop ornamentation)

Dynamic singing is basically how quickly and how drastically can you maneuver yourself within a song, vocal agility and dexterity. In pop music these qualities are demonstrated by extending one count/syllable through various notes (melisma). adlibs can be seen as proof of dynamic/dexterity/agility because the singer needs to improvise a melody change/alteration within the count of the notes and still retain pitch, key, and melody. 

Gaga: melismas and adlibs

Gaga plays with melismas A LOT with Million Reasons (the song is slow paced so its easy) but she does it so beautifully. they are not over the top and they match the song and her vocal tone so fucking beautifully. brit2 

but she can also do it with fast paced up tempos songs like Applause:

like omfg shock1 listen to her fucking SLAY her falsetto high notes. my fucking queen. and yes i will continue to repost this video because you fuckers like to think cause some of your faves squeak out a C6 that they slay Gaga vocally. i wanna see those bitches do it AFTER dancing their asses off. mad3 they cant. gaga11 

and also notice how Gaga loses power/projection (her notes are not as loud) when she does melisma- you sacrifice power when you have to be agile in switching notes (loosen throat muscles). this is why I say beyonce doesnt focus on projection- she focuses on scaling her range too much, so loss of projection.

of course beyonce knows her way around a good melisma, they are not hard to do especially if you know your voice and have sang for a long period of time. 

my problem with beyonces melismas and adlibs are that her melismas are her just extending the syllable and just belting it or scaling the octaves of her vocal range. she doesnt really showcase dynamic. like why not extend the note at 3:43 from high to low and go straight back up to high, no she just scales the octaves going from high to low. and she does this A LOT, with a lot of her belts or runs. again i dont know a lot of her performances or seen a lot cause i dont really follow her. so some of you could post other vids. 

so seeing that Gaga and beyonce are almost equal singing talent in my eyes, why Gaga? because Gaga is a SMART SINGER. Gaga never goes above her range or compose songs with the typical F5s and G5s that she knows she may have trouble with when performing live. NOTHING sucks as much as seeing your favorite artist not be able to pull off a song live because they couldnt hit the note. look at Kesha Praying. beyonce has multiple performances where she does not hit the high note in the song because either she cant or if she does it wont sound good. and as shown above her higher notes sound SUPER shrill. look at her National Anthem she sounds PITCHY as fuck. yes she can sing the higher key songs, but its not that good if you sound pitchy. and you can say Gaga is playing it safe, but even when safe she shows she has the vocal ability to knock her songs out of the water and then some (Sound of Music, Sting tribute etc.).

that is why to me Gaga is the better singer, its not all about range and power. its about delivering the best work with what you got. arianna can hit those super high notes but thats why her dumbass went to the hospital with bleeding vocal chords. shes stupid for doing that to herself. 

p.s. i didnt talk about tone and timbre because those are subjective. and for those who care Gaga is classified as a contralto (although she also covers Mezzo-Soprano range) and Beyonce is considered Mezzo-Soprano (although she also covers contralto range). i didnt talk about these because these are classical operatic classifications they carry no eaming in pop music. if you can hit the note, you can hit it.

1 hour ago, JupiterRising said:

nope. 

really? cause from what i can see in this thread all you beyonce fans keep bringing up range. and truthfully that is the only thing that marginally separates Gaga from bey. marginally.  i will prove it shortly. 

by about 3 notes at most. Gaga has an equal expertise in the use of melismas and adlibs. 

again with the range. as beautifully as she does? i know you all hate Xtina. but damn. Christina OBLITERATES bey vocally. so much so beyonce could never stand a chance. but anyways, this is not about Christina vs. Bey. its about Gaga vs. bey. so lets lay this all to rest. 

GAGA vs. BEYONCE

Range

with regards to range both of them are of almost equal footing. Gaga has a range that spans (well executed) from C3 to about A5. Beyonce has a range that spans from B2 to about B5 (C6- personally i wouldnt count this seeing as she sounds SHRILL AS FUCK pulled off live, but i will give it to her). so for those of you fags @Sylk@Gemma Collins @Satori saying beys vocal range FAR SURPASSES fadgas. this is 100% completely rotundly and supremely false.

for those of you who dont know how vocal range works. here is a small breakdown. there are 7 notations (common system of range classification) and each note can be hit at varying frequencies. the notes are C D E F G A B- always in this order. C4 is the note which most people sing without going higher or lower.

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

C6 D6 E6 F6 G6 A6 B6 - C6 is known as soprano C because very few people can hit this note well- girls have it much easier. but even someone like bey has trouble with this note

Gagas range is:

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

beyonces range is:

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

C6 D6 E6 F6 G6 A6 B6

so for those of you saying beyonce has an infinitely wider range. she actually only bests Gaga with about 3 notes- she isnt even a whole octave superior to Gaga. 1 more lower note and 2 higher notes. and when you compare their higher notes bey doesnt execute those well. proven by her constantly dodging the high notes in live performances. look at the two videos i posted earlier of Gaga hitting a G5 while having danced her ass off and beyonce dodging the G5 in Listen. beyonces higher notes are always shrill as fuck. and live Gaga HITS EVERY SINGLE NOTE IN HER SONGS the majority of times. the same cannot be said about beyonce. xtina11 

and for those super high notes (F5 to B5(C6)) both of them utilize falsetto instead of head voice. head voice is so much harder. in my opinion, the reason Gaga doesnt go higher is because she hasnt trained this part of her voice and does not utilize it. because in her younger years she was able to hit F5s and G5s in head voice and with massive power. i.e. electric kiss. 

Power and Projection

this is where they begin to separate and a higher contrast is seen. power is the ability to add decibels to a frequency without altering pitch or key. projection is the ability to extend the radius of the auditory field of a note, in other words how far or close the mic must be from the singer so that they achieve a desired power. have you ever noticed Christina has to pull the mic away when singing her super high notes? thats because her power and projection would cause the mic feedback to blare out. 

Gaga: Gaga has been trained musical theatre (no mic- most of the time). this means she has been put through the ringer in terms of mastering projection. Gaga is no slouch when it comes to power. look up her performances of Edge of Glory, Perfection Illusion, Sound of Music, and Bang Bang. 

notice how far she pulls the mic away and you CAN STILL hear her vibrato resonating through the large room. this is fucking power baby.

here she displays just how much control she has over exercising power over each note. her dynamic as a singer is jaw dropping. going one second from belting C5s/D5s to cooing C4s (2:37 to 2:39). the sudden change in notes between 3:27 to 3:30.

amazing mastery of the belting range (B4 to D5). all her notes are robust, clear, resonated, and she can effortlessly add and take away vibrato from the notes.

beyonce: beyonce is not classically or theatrically trained in music. she just participated in singing competitions and school programs. so as to her technique or development with power and projection, nothing is of a direct testament. however, she does possess a potent voice and demonstrates very acute control. but from what i have seen she does not focus much on projection as she does power. 

as you can see she can hit all the notes in the belting range (B4 to D5). but she keeps that mic as close to her mouth without actually swallowing it. her notes are strong and her projection is solid, but it is not of an expertise comparable to someone who is a trained singer. she does of course show great control of her voice, resonance, and effortless vibrato (although can be too fast).

so when it comes to power and projection both are equal in power but Gaga trumps beyonce with projection. IMO beyonce doesnt focus on projecting because if she did she could lose the ability to do more complex melismas and adlibs. projecting requires you to stiffen muscles in your larynx and throat, forfeiting dexterity and agility of the vocal chords (that is why Gaga has that operatic quality to her live singing). if she did i am sure she could be of an equal footing as someone as Gaga.

Dynamic singing is basically how quickly and how drastically can you maneuver yourself within a song, vocal agility and dexterity. In pop music these qualities are demonstrated by extending one count/syllable through various notes (melisma). adlibs can be seen as proof of dynamic/dexterity/agility because the singer needs to improvise a melody change/alteration within the count of the notes and still retain pitch, key, and melody. 

Gaga plays with melismas A LOT with Million Reasons (the song is slow paced so its easy) but she does it so beautifully. they are not over the top and they match the song and her vocal tone so fucking beautifully. brit2 

like omfg shock1 listen to her fucking SLAY her falsetto high notes. my fucking queen. and yes i will continue to repost this video because you fuckers like to think cause some of your faves squeak out a C6 that they slay Gaga vocally. i wanna see those bitches do it AFTER dancing their asses off. mad3 they cant. gaga11 

and also notice how Gaga loses power/projection (her notes are not as loud) when she does melisma- you sacrifice power when you have to be agile in switching notes (loosen throat muscles). this is why I say beyonce doesnt focus on projection- she focuses on scaling her range too much, so loss of projection.

of course beyonce knows her way around a good melisma, they are not hard to do especially if you know your voice and have sang for a long period of time. 

my problem with beyonces melismas and adlibs are that her melismas are her just extending the syllable and just belting it or scaling the octaves of her vocal range. she doesnt really showcase dynamic. like why not extend the note at 3:43 from high to low and go straight back up to high, no she just scales the octaves going from high to low. and she does this A LOT, with a lot of her belts or runs. again i dont know a lot of her performances or seen a lot cause i dont really follow her. so some of you could post other vids. 

so seeing that Gaga and beyonce are almost equal singing talent in my eyes, why Gaga? because Gaga is a SMART SINGER. Gaga never goes above her range or compose songs with the typical F5s and G5s that she knows she may have trouble with when performing live. NOTHING sucks as much as seeing your favorite artist not be able to pull off a song live because they couldnt hit the note. look at Kesha Praying. beyonce has multiple performances where she does not hit the high note in the song because either she cant or if she does it wont sound good. and as shown above her higher notes sound SUPER shrill. look at her National Anthem she sounds PITCHY as fuck. yes she can sing the higher key songs, but its not that good if you sound pitchy. and you can say Gaga is playing it safe, but even when safe she shows she has the vocal ability to knock her songs out of the water and then some (Sound of Music, Sting tribute etc.).

that is why to me Gaga is the better singer, its not all about range and power. its about delivering the best work with what you got. arianna can hit those super high notes but thats why her dumbass went to the hospital with bleeding vocal chords. shes stupid for doing that to herself. 

p.s. i didnt talk about tone and timbre because those are subjective. and for those who care Gaga is classified as a contralto (although she also covers Mezzo-Soprano range) and Beyonce is considered Mezzo-Soprano (although she also covers contralto range). i didnt talk about these because these are classical operatic classifications they carry no eaming in pop music. if you can hit the note, you can hit it.

what is this eassy we- 

anyways to add my two cents to it, Gaga can sing but technique wise Beyonce is much more superior. She does have a wider range because it's easily accessible and can be used for a variety of different musical value, you can't just hit a note for a split second and say you have the range, in contrast Mariah's upper 2 octaves would be invalid if she couldn't do anymore with her whistle than just hit them every now and then. Bey's head voice is much stronger as well, her agility is crazy, her dynamics are out of this world. She's near the greatest vocalist territory, probably the best we have right now, simply denying her of that with a reason as she's not a "smart singer" is a bit dumb but anyways... 

to go to my original post, Bey can sing any Gaga song in her sleep, where as Gaga would choke before she reaches the first key change in love on top.. 

@JupiterRising Please, stop. You already proved with that unnecessary essay that you don't know shit about vocal pedagogy. Beyoncé has one of the best vocal techniques popular music has ever seen. She has mastered her instrument like very few have done, watch this video and avoid talking about vocals in the future, because you're literally an embarrassment. Oh, and kii at you thinking Xtina is better than Beyoncé, as if we needed more proof of your utter ignorance. lmfao1 

In terms of who is technically the better singer, then I'd say Beyoncé. However, Gaga is better at conveying emotion and passion in her vocals, whereas Beyoncé has always left me feeling cold. Gaga has more soul, I guess, and even when she's singing one of her many awful songs - I still believe every word she says jj2 

11 hours ago, JupiterRising said:

nope. 

GAGA vs. BEYONCE

Range

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

Gagas range is:

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

beyonces range is:

C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 A1 B1

C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2

C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3

C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4 

C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5

C6 D6 E6 F6 G6 A6 B6

Power and Projection

xtina "obliterates" bey dead2

"mic feedback" blares out from power dead2

the definitions of "power" dead2 and "projection" dead2

oh and "dynamic singing" dead2

beyonce untrained dead2

gaga a contralto dead2

please delete this post it's an embarrassment to vocal pedagogy and i am cringing dead2dead2dead2dead2

3 minutes ago, gengar said:

xtina "obliterates" bey dead2

"mic feedback" blares out from power dead2

the definitions of "power" dead2 and "projection" dead2

oh and "dynamic singing" dead2

beyonce untrained dead2

gaga a contralto dead2

please delete this post it's an embarrassment to vocal pedagogy and i am cringing dead2dead2dead2dead2

We dont delete the truth

10 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

We dont delete the truth

babe it's not truth dead2 it's a short novel filled with made up definitions and just flat out ridiculous statements dead2 like stop acting like seasoned voice teachers just bc you read a few pages of diva devotee dead2

y'all can like gaga more all you want but don't go calling her a contralto dead2dead2dead2dead2

22 minutes ago, gengar said:

babe it's not truth dead2 it's a short novel filled with made up definitions and just flat out ridiculous statements dead2 like stop acting like seasoned voice teachers just bc you read a few pages of diva devotee dead2

y'all can like gaga more all you want but don't go calling her a contralto dead2dead2dead2dead2

I dont even know what a controalto is ny1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.