Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Agugaga

Which artist's career would've been impacted most without this hit....

Which artist's career would've been impacted the most  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which artist's career would've been impacted the most

• Britney Spears "Toxic" never happened
    • Christina Aguilera "Beautiful" never happened
    • Beyonce "Single Ladies" never happened
    • Rihanna "We Found Love" never happened
    • Katy Perry "Dark Horse" never happened

If you were to remove these hits for these artists catalog, who do you think would've suffered the most? nat1 

Hmmm, I want to say Xtina but "Stripped" had a lot of other singles that could've kept her era afloat. But I do agree without "Beautiful" "Stripped" wouldn't nearly have the legacy it ended up with.

I feel like Beyonce would've been fine without "Single Ladies"

Katy's Prism era would've suffered without "Dark Horse" but I don't think it impacts her career at all if we were to remove it.

So my vote goes to Britney. Without "Toxic" happening, no one knows how her career could've went after 2004. It definitely came at the right time to save her ass. 

Either Toxic or Beautiful, maybe even Single Ladies as it was really a defining moment of Beyoncé’s stardom and media presence.

The way Brit stans hype up Toxic it must have been really important for her career, and it was whenever Britney was included in those top 20 singers and celebrity things that used to air on MTV and other channels, they always used a Snippet of Toxic it helped solidify her I guess.

Beautiful, is Christina’s most known song and her anthem. It has helped a lot of people I assume, and just the nature of the song makes it a very important part of her career. I doubt it would have had the success it did if it wasn’t her singing as well. 

Beyonce. It's like her most recognised song dead2

Katy would've been fine. Sure prism might've not been as big, but it already has the MONSTER song Roar. No DH would just make way for Legendary Lovers & Walking on Air to smash! oprah14

33 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Britney already had another iconic and memorable hit, ...Baby One More Time, Beyonce's most memorable song is Single Ladies, without it she has nothing iconic oprah14

Sure, but the narrative could've easily been re-written as Britney was just a "flash in the pan" without Toxic. BOMT was iconic, but none of her other singles really were, until Toxic. Sure Oops was recognizable and made for a cute catch phrase, and Slave had the VMA snake performance tied to it (the actual song was a flop), it wasn't until Toxic where she proved she could get something just as iconic as her debut single, so removing "Toxic" from the picture could've impacted her later career as well. "Toxic" was the single that bridged her early career (1999-2001) with her late career (2008-2011) and without it, I don't think Britney would've had a "resurgence" (using that term very loosely) in 2008. 

I’m thinking Katy or Bey. “If I Were A Boy” got paid dust and the era still would have been fine BUT “Single Ladies” was a monster and shaped the whole era and her image going forward. So her career wouldn’t have been as effected but the era probably would have.  

Howerver, if DH hadn’t smashed there would be basically no defending Prism commercially. I love a good half the album so I’m not hating, but it was a big enough descent to go from 5/6 #1s to 2 from one era to the next, and if Roar had been her only hit that era (LL would NOT have gone #1 if it had been a single) it would have been a real mess, even more so than that era was after Teenage Dream. So that one. 

I think the wrong artists were picked for this. Would Gaga's career have fizzled out even quicker without Bad Romance? Would Madonna be completely over without hung up? Would Mariah have any relevance without All I want for Christmas? dead2

For Katy I think the real game changer would be not having Firework. TD wouldn't be nearly as successful, and it would have a knock on effect on the rest of her stuff dead2

On 24/2/2018 at 3:25 PM, Satori said:

I’m thinking Katy or Bey. “If I Were A Boy” got paid dust and the era still would have been fine BUT “Single Ladies” was a monster and shaped the whole era and her image going forward. So her career wouldn’t have been as effected but the era probably would have.  

Boy sold 8.2 million copies, went #1 in 10 markets, top 10 in 16 more, most of them top 5 (charted better than SL). You really think it got paid dust? IASF would have been alright, Boy and Halo were huge hits. 

7 hours ago, havok said:

Boy sold 8.2 million copies, went #1 in 10 markets, top 10 in 16 more, most of them top 5 (charted better than SL). You really think it got paid dust? IASF would have been alright, Boy and Halo were huge hits. 

That amazing song should have sold 100 million and gone #1 in every country, so yes. fall9 I exaggerate, of course—but I stand happily corrected in acknowledging it was more successful than I remembered.

And I see your point re it and Halo, but I’m not sure which would have been the era’s defining single were it not for Single Ladies, which outperformed them both as far as cultural impact/reach/longevity. I’ve often wondered if Diva would have done better had it not followed Single Ladies, e.g. 

Definitely Bey in the long run.

She’d still have Crazy in Love but since that was her solo debut, she would be viewed as quite an unmemorable artist. Single Ladies helped shape a lot of her later career and widened her impact. 

Britney or X would be my second choices. Brit, however is well remembered for more than just Toxic. In fact, Toxic, while one of her best singles, isn’t as much of a classic as BOMT, Crazy, Oops and Slave. It’s very “unBritney” overall.

X actually has Dirrty, Genie in a Bottle and some mediocore throwbacks from Back to Basic. But she’s not THAT well-remembered in the first place as much as she deserves to be, so poor her.

Katy shouldn’t even be considered. I Kissed a Girl and her other quick hits are gonna be cute throwbacks people will remember. Dark Horse isn’t her signature sing anyway.

The same goes for Rhat. I would even argue that Diamonds completely overshadows We Found Love.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.