Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Agugaga

Which artist's career would've been impacted most without this hit....

Which artist's career would've been impacted the most  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which artist's career would've been impacted the most

• Britney Spears "Toxic" never happened
    • Christina Aguilera "Beautiful" never happened
    • Beyonce "Single Ladies" never happened
    • Rihanna "We Found Love" never happened
    • Katy Perry "Dark Horse" never happened

10 hours ago, Satori said:

That amazing song should have sold 100 million and gone #1 in every country, so yes. fall9 I exaggerate, of course—but I stand happily corrected in acknowledging it was more successful than I remembered.

And I see your point re it and Halo, but I’m not sure which would have been the era’s defining single were it not for Single Ladies, which outperformed them both as far as cultural impact/reach/longevity. I’ve often wondered if Diva would have done better had it not followed Single Ladies, e.g. 

I would say that Halo is the defining hit from that era. SL was a huge hit, yes; but it doesn't have much of a replay value, it was what it was thanks to the video/choreography. I wish she would stop messing around with her releases so she can start slaying the charts like that again. Formation shoulda been #1.  clap1

My first pick would be Beyonce. I feel like Single Ladies – both the song and the video – really made her a thing. And by that, I mean making her a cultural phenomena. People liked her before Single Ladies, but it was that single and that album that gave her the level of superstardom that had people so far up her ass with praise. She had other hits during the era, but I think the Single Ladies defined her as an artist – giving her enough popularity that she could move away from typical pop afterwards and still be successful.

My second pick would be Britney. Toxic is one of her signature hits, and the ITZ era would have been rather dead without it. Not to mention I think it was a good transition song for her. It's very sexy, but not raunchy like Blackout, and a solid pop song. Idk who doesn't like that song, tbh. I think it just hits with people, y'know? 

1 hour ago, havok said:

I would say that Halo is the defining hit from that era. SL was a huge hit, yes; but it doesn't have much of a replay value, it was what it was thanks to the video/choreography. I wish she would stop messing around with her releases so she can start slaying the charts like that again. Formation shoulda been #1.  clap1

I just listened to Halo again today and all but ugly cried. ahs1 A modern classic. And while SL does have replay value for me there’s something to be said, to your point,  about the fact that I can’t listen to it without thinking of the video. It’s literally impossible. 

The non-albums charts have been against her ever since 4 it seems. I don’t get why she doesn’t have more #1s... Formation AND Drunk In Love both, at the least on the much longer list of examples, should have been #1s.  

19 minutes ago, Modern Woman said:

I picked Dark Hearse, because if that had flopped Prism would have been a complete write-off aside from Roar rip1 

She would have released Legendary Lovers instead. That was a safe hit! oprah14 

On 2/27/2018 at 4:40 AM, LittleDudeNT5 said:

My first pick would be Beyonce. I feel like Single Ladies – both the song and the video – really made her a thing. And by that, I mean making her a cultural phenomena. People liked her before Single Ladies, but it was that single and that album that gave her the level of superstardom that had people so far up her ass with praise. She had other hits during the era, but I think the Single Ladies defined her as an artist – giving her enough popularity that she could move away from typical pop afterwards and still be successful.

My second pick would be Britney. Toxic is one of her signature hits, and the ITZ era would have been rather dead without it. Not to mention I think it was a good transition song for her. It's very sexy, but not raunchy like Blackout, and a solid pop song. Idk who doesn't like that song, tbh. I think it just hits with people, y'know? 

I agree with all of this, even though I'm a Bey fan. 

Bey's and Brit's careers wouldn't have been the same without those respective songs. They played important roles.

Beautiful, although a big hit and controversy back in the day, it's quite overlooked when it comes to Christina. I hear Genie, Dirrty and even Hurt and Candyman more. 

Dark Horse is not even top5 signature Katy songs, plus Legendary Lovers or Walking on Air would've seen similar succes given single treatment most probably.

We Found Love is just there like any other Rihanna song. Lots of big hits but mostly forgotten. You could choose any song for her any her career woul've been the same. It's more her image and marketing that made her an icon rather than the music itself imo. 

On 3/3/2018 at 8:15 AM, YoungForever said:

I agree with all of this, even though I'm a Bey fan. 

Bey's and Brit's careers wouldn't have been the same without those respective songs. They played important roles.

Beautiful, although a big hit and controversy back in the day, it's quite overlooked when it comes to Christina. I hear Genie, Dirrty and even Hurt and Candyman more. 

Dark Horse is not even top5 signature Katy songs, plus Legendary Lovers or Walking on Air would've seen similar succes given single treatment most probably.

We Found Love is just there like any other Rihanna song. Lots of big hits but mostly forgotten. You could choose any song for her any her career woul've been the same. It's more her image and marketing that made her an icon rather than the music itself imo. 

I agree to a certain extent, but something felt different during "We Found Love," I felt like she was a hit machine who was dropping so many hits and at that point she could've very well declined, but WFL caused an unexpected surge in her career that took her to new heights in my opinion. I would say it was the most important single of hers released during the Rated R/Loud/Talk That Talk/Unapologetic four year stretch. 

On 3.3.2018 at 2:15 PM, YoungForever said:

I love your delusion on Rihanna. fall1 Her biggest hits are not even close to be forgotten. How old are you, 55? fall1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.