Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Satori

Gambino spills tea on racial inequality; shades Gaga

6 hours ago, Sailor Mars said:

He‘s always bitter about anyone shading his fad. God...her fanbase is such a delusional and sensitive pile of garbage.

@petedagrk @The One Above All @anxiety @JupiterRising

LADY GAGA IS NOT IMMUNE TO CRITICISM AND SHADE ON THIS FORUM. This is FOTP and we WILL drag her fake ass and mediocre ”talent“. You’ll either have to accept it, or you can leave! There is a plethora of other pop forums.

Do What U want.mp3

4 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

Didnt know I wasnt allowed to not like an album. My bad.

AlbumS. The best albums that dropped last year to be more specific. Now take your belongings, shut the door behind you and never come back ny12  

10 hours ago, Sailor Mars said:

He‘s always bitter about anyone shading his fad. God...her fanbase is such a delusional and sensitive pile of garbage.

@petedagrk @The One Above All @anxiety @JupiterRising

LADY GAGA IS NOT IMMUNE TO CRITICISM AND SHADE ON THIS FORUM. This is FOTP and we WILL drag her fake ass and mediocre ”talent“. You’ll either have to accept it, or you can leave! There is a plethora of other pop forums.

No one said she wasn't, but this was unnecessary and petty. 

3 minutes ago, Satori said:

Ok sis granted but so is racial privilege oprah14

Yet most of US musicians are black and US got a fucking black president elected.

I'm aware that everyday ppl still suffer racial discrimination but I don't see racial privileges when it comes to music...it's just a matter of gp's taste honestly.

23 minutes ago, The One Above All said:

Yet most of US musicians are black and US got a fucking black president elected.

I'm aware that everyday ppl still suffer racial discrimination but I don't see racial privileges when it comes to music...it's just a matter of gp's taste honestly.

A majority of the Billboard charts have been POC artists for a few years now...minorities are winning, regardless of if they claim to not be. The streaming rules certainly helped boost artists that wouldn't normally be impacting the charts. Instead of going after white artists that are talented and deserve their success, Donald should celebrate the achievements that black artists have had over the past few years. 

32 minutes ago, The One Above All said:

We did get a black president elected yes, after 200 years of white presidents. And after his 8 years were up we elected the most racist president since Jackson and Jefferson. A filthy warmonger hate-spewing devil. So...

And in reference to music, it’s just one example. Every sphere of society in America still operates via discrimination. The education system, the entertainment industry, the hiring sector, etc. Of course there are efforts to enact equality but we’re not there yet. 

18 minutes ago, anxiety said:

A majority of the Billboard charts have been POC artists for a few years now...minorities are winning, regardless of if they claim to not be. The streaming rules certainly helped boost artists that wouldn't normally be impacting the charts. Instead of going after white artists that are talented and deserve their success, Donald should celebrate the achievements that black artists have had over the past few years. 

That there’s momentum in the right direction =/= minorities winning. Like- 

I mean look at recent Album if the Year contests pre-Bruno (who was a safe voice lbr). The works auguring equality LIKE KENDRICK, BEYONCÉ, and yes, Gambino, don’t “win.”  I know it’s just the Grammys but being nominated but not winning is literally synesochocical for the State making cursory improvements and leaving the problem untreated. 

And your recommendation for what Donald should do sounds like respectability politics and quite frankly 200 years of that have failed and are also problematic so— 

55 minutes ago, Satori said:

That there’s momentum in the right direction =/= minorities winning. Like- 

I mean look at recent Album if the Year contests pre-Bruno (who was a safe voice lbr). The works auguring equality LIKE KENDRICK, BEYONCÉ, and yes, Gambino, don’t “win.”  I know it’s just the Grammys but being nominated but not winning is literally synesochocical for the State making cursory improvements and leaving the problem untreated. 

And your recommendation for what Donald should do sounds like respectability politics and quite frankly 200 years of that have failed and are also problematic so— 

It shouldn't be a racial issue that Bruno won over the others, Bruno is a POC. This comes down to disagreement on the music and how good it is. If Lorde had won, I could see your point (though she would have deserved it) but there was tremendous representation this year. It speaks to how the music industry has changed in the past 5 years and everybody nominated should be proud of themselves. My personal opinion is that people should be nominated based on critical acclaim rather than internal voting from biased sources. That way, it's much more representative of how the public feels. The Grammys could also choose the nominees themselves then allow the public to vote. I think these issues would largely be resolved if fans had a voice in the voting process. I can see the point that a bunch of old white men choosing the winners is outdated and can lead to odd results. 

55 minutes ago, anxiety said:

It shouldn't be a racial issue that Bruno won over the others, Bruno is a POC. This comes down to disagreement on the music and how good it is. If Lorde had won, I could see your point (though she would have deserved it) but there was tremendous representation this year. It speaks to how the music industry has changed in the past 5 years and everybody nominated should be proud of themselves. My personal opinion is that people should be nominated based on critical acclaim rather than internal voting from biased sources. That way, it's much more representative of how the public feels. The Grammys could also choose the nominees themselves then allow the public to vote. I think these issues would largely be resolved if fans had a voice in the voting process. I can see the point that a bunch of old white men choosing the winners is outdated and can lead to odd results. 

I can agree with this post much more than the others. antm1

The Bruno question is a thorny one, though.  I’m very cognizant that as a POC his win was a victory, but I do feel like too that it’s much easier for the white voting body to acknowledge apolitical black artists than transgressive visionaries like the examples I’ve cited, who are arguably more talented. I know the talent thing is subjective, and I’m not above liking fluff fun music like Bruno’s album was, but to me it does take someone working at another level who’s gifted in a more rare way to make albums from black artists like the ones that were passed over that I’ve mentioned, if that makes sense. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.