Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Jon.

Nick Robinson talks playing gay in "Love, Simon"

lovesimon.jpg

While Robinson trusted Berlanti’s vision, playing a gay lead character gave him pause, even with that becoming more common.

“I don’t want to make it seem like it was a no-brainer. I had my fair share of doubts as well,” he said. “But you’re right when you say that it’s not as stigmatized as it once was for a male actor to take on a gay character. Forty years ago that could have been a career-ender. That speaks a lot to how we have progressed culturally and with greater awareness and respect for people in the LGBTQ community. I think this in part has to do with very brave performances over the years. It’s become less and less of a taboo. It’s exciting.”

For Robinson, the movie’s subject matter became a lot more personal at one point — his little brother came out to him during filming.

“It became a lot more to me. In the story I was trying to do justice to that. If anything, [his brother coming out] was kind of exciting,” he said. “For me anyway, I had a feeling for many years about it — I was just very proud of him for taking that step. It just made it closer to home for me telling the story. It felt like we were making something that could potentially help people, which is a good feeling.”

Source

5 hours ago, Moonflower said:

I dont know if i want to watch it or not

It looks kind of cheesy and not all that interesting, tbh. But a lot of younger kids might light it? shrug1

Great for him and his brother, tbh, but I'm still not certain why we aren't casting gay/queer actors in roles such as these? I'm not saying straight actors can't do it – cause they usually play them very well – it's just too bad that an actor who probably can bring a lot to the character based on their own connections with them isn't given the chance.

3 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

It looks kind of cheesy and not all that interesting, tbh. But a lot of younger kids might light it? shrug1

Great for him and his brother, tbh, but I'm still not certain why we aren't casting gay/queer actors in roles such as these? I'm not saying straight actors can't do it – cause they usually play them very well – it's just too bad that an actor who probably can bring a lot to the character based on their own connections with them isn't given the chance.

This. i could be soooo much more real if a actual gay actor were doing this. especially since they are portraying a gay teenager in 2018, who's minds are really fragile and anything that shows the slightest support for them is what they will cling on to.

34 minutes ago, Moonflower said:

This. i could be soooo much more real if a actual gay actor were doing this. especially since they are portraying a gay teenager in 2018, who's minds are really fragile and anything that shows the slightest support for them is what they will cling on to.

well maybe it was difficult casting who knows.  im sure gay actors auditoned

On 9/3/2018 at 7:43 AM, CHANEL #1 said:

I can't wait to go see this. The last bit of the trailer is still like my favorite thing lmfao1 Gets me every time lmfao1 

"Oh god help me jesus" lmfao1 

can't marketing people for gay movies stop with the coming out puns istg

On 3/9/2018 at 2:43 AM, CHANEL #1 said:

I can't wait to go see this. The last bit of the trailer is still like my favorite thing lmfao1 Gets me every time lmfao1 

"Oh god help me jesus" lmfao1 

Literally my mom's reaction if i told her lmfao1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.