Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Galactic-Tiger

Biggest fad of all time (poll)

Biggest female fads (multiple choice)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which female singer is the biggest fad of all time?

• Britney
    • Gaga
    • Gwen Stefani
    • Kelly Clarkson
    • Christina Aguilera
    • Mariah
    • Anastacia
    • Nelly Furtado
    • Avril Lavigne
    • Kelly Rowland
    • Jojo
    • Nicole Scherzinger
    • Fergie
    • Ciara
    • Cindy Lauper
    • Jessica Simpson
    • Natalie Imbruglia
    • Alanis Morissette
    • Brandy
    • Hillary Duff
    • Jessie J
    • Ashlee Simspon
    • Iggy Azalea
    • Geri Halliwell
    • Other (pls specify in the comment section)

41 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

Lunatic has also a different meaning but I’m not expecting you to present it here cause you’re a king of alternative facts xx

not like I was expecting you to present anything factual in this thread cause everything so far is out of ass and delusional lol are you going to call me disabled again? Have some dignity please cause it’s just sad at this point what are you doing xx

Pray tell the “alternative definition” of lunatic, because I’m just so stunned that you’ll be so vile to make fun of mental illness like that brit2 like do you have no dignity? brit2 Disgusting! brit2 

But not the hypocrite using only one definition for imbecile and denying the alternative definitions, yet claiming there are multiple definitions for lunatic just because it suits you jj2 scalped again

But not Kelly Anne Conway over here talking about alternative facts when receipts were thrown in your face and you just pure denied them jj2 scalped again 

I guess I really did a number on you, with you dedicating a boat to me and all katy2 poor dat

52 minutes ago, The One Above All said:

Yes. Honest answer.

Wow sis is sensitive nat2

But I guess the forums are on my side, because calling someone on here stupid or an imbecile won’t get me warned but calling someone retarded will so xtina11 

20 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Wow sis is sensitive nat2

But I guess the forums are on my side, because calling someone on here stupid or an imbecile won’t get me warned but calling someone retarded will so xtina11 

Um the word retarded is less offensive than stupid tbh. Etymologically speaking, retarded means to be slow, while stupid means to be stunned/confounded. Stupid is a bigger mockery for people with intellectual disability. Historically speaking, the words idiot, stupid, dumb etc were introduced to describe people with mental problems. therefore, it is very hypocritical to think that only the word retarded is offensive. Said that,  mocking people for their weight will not get you a warning point in this forum too but it is still a bad thing to do. xtina11

23 minutes ago, The One Above All said:

Um the word retarded is less offensive than stupid tbh. Etymologically speaking, retarded means to be slow, while stupid means to be stunned/confounded. Stupid is a bigger mockery for people with intellectual disability. Historically speaking, the words idiot, stupid, dumb etc were introduced to describe people with mental problems. therefore, it is very hypocritical to think that only the word retarded is offensive. Said that,  mocking people for their weight will not get you a warning point in this forum too but it is still a bad thing to do. xtina11

No sorry sis: 

Retard when used as a noun is a pejorativeword used to refer to people with mental disabilities.[1] The word retard was widely accepted in the late-1900s to refer to people with mental disabilities; however it is now more commonly used as an insult. The word has gained notoriety for causing a growing number of mentally disabled people to feel unfairly stereotyped.[2]

Then read up on the history of stupidity:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupidity

The root word stupid,[3] which can serve as an adjective or noun, comes from the Latin verb stupere, for being numb or astonished, and is related to stupor.[4] In Roman culture, the stupidus was the professional fall-guy in the theatrical mimes.[5]

According to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary, the words "stupid" and "stupidity" entered the English language in 1541. Since then, stupidity has taken place along with "fool," "idiot," "dumb," "moron," and related concepts as a pejorative appellation for human misdeeds, whether purposeful or accidental, due to absence of mental capacity.

12 minutes ago, The One Above All said:

who told u retarded was less offensive than stupid dead2

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

No sorry sis: 

Retard when used as a noun is a pejorativeword used to refer to people with mental disabilities.[1] The word retard was widely accepted in the late-1900s to refer to people with mental disabilities; however it is now more commonly used as an insult. The word has gained notoriety for causing a growing number of mentally disabled people to feel unfairly stereotyped.[2]

Then read up on the history of stupidity:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupidity

The root word stupid,[3] which can serve as an adjective or noun, comes from the Latin verb stupere, for being numb or astonished, and is related to stupor.[4] In Roman culture, the stupidus was the professional fall-guy in the theatrical mimes.[5]

According to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary, the words "stupid" and "stupidity" entered the English language in 1541. Since then, stupidity has taken place along with "fool," "idiot," "dumb," "moron," and related concepts as a pejorative appellation for human misdeeds, whether purposeful or accidental, due to absence of mental capacity.

So no brit10 

To show stupor for everything like stupids do is way worse than be slow at thinking like retards do. In this sense the world stupid is more offensive because implies a deeper level of dumbness to be surprised by everything respect to be slow at everything. Moreover,

stupidity has taken place along with "fool," "idiot," "dumb," "moron," and related concepts as a pejorative appellation for human misdeeds, whether purposeful or accidental, due to absence of mental capacity.

Which basically confirms my point that the word stupid along with the words idiot, dumb etc are used to describe absence of mental capacity, which implies mental disability.

4 minutes ago, The One Above All said:

To show stupor for everything like stupids do is way worse than be slow at thinking like retards do. In this sense the world stupid is more offensive because implies a deeper level of dumbness to be surprised by everything respect to be slow at everything. Moreover,

Which basically confirms my point that the word stupid along with the words idiot, dumb etc are used to describe absence of mental capacity, which implies mental disability.

Retarded is considered as extremely offensive because it came directly from the reference towards mental retardation, whereas stupid has contextually been used in widespread circumstances that differentiates itself from the mentally disabled. In other words, no brit10 

I edited my post to include this when you were replying, but you should read this:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2017/03/06/the-word-and-challenging-history-words-for-dummies/6heGdgEkMRaUw4MPYVF6yN/story.html

Why is “retard” treated differently from similar words? It may be that its medical and slang uses overlapped longer. Ben Zimmer, language columnist for The Wall Street Journal, wrote in an e-mail: “Words like ‘moron’ and ‘imbecile,’ while originating in psychological research, quickly fell out of scholarly fashion as they got taken up in popular usage as synonyms for ‘fool.’ ‘Retarded’ took much longer before it was replaced by ‘intellectually disabled’ and so forth. So I think there was more time for ‘retarded’ to lead a double life, in both technical and lay usage, which made it more obviously offensive.”

EDIT also: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-libtard-huppke-20161229-story.html

11 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Retarded is considered as extremely offensive because it came directly from the reference towards mental retardation, whereas stupid has contextually been used in widespread circumstances that differentiates itself from the mentally disabled. In other words, no brit10 

I edited my post to include this when you were replying, but you should read this:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2017/03/06/the-word-and-challenging-history-words-for-dummies/6heGdgEkMRaUw4MPYVF6yN/story.html

Why is “retard” treated differently from similar words? It may be that its medical and slang uses overlapped longer. Ben Zimmer, language columnist for The Wall Street Journal, wrote in an e-mail: “Words like ‘moron’ and ‘imbecile,’ while originating in psychological research, quickly fell out of scholarly fashion as they got taken up in popular usage as synonyms for ‘fool.’ ‘Retarded’ took much longer before it was replaced by ‘intellectually disabled’ and so forth. So I think there was more time for ‘retarded’ to lead a double life, in both technical and lay usage, which made it more obviously offensive.”

Interesting reading and I do agree with you that retarded is considered more offensive today, but it is a very hypocritical thing. You are wrong to think that the words stupid and retarded refer to different contexts. Both words, indeed, were born to mock people with lower mental capabilities. Both words were born as offensive and denigrating towards people with mental issues. However, as your post explained, during the years the word stupid became more colloquial and today is not considered that offensive anymore. But it is still a word that mocks intellectual capabilities. it is a extremely vile word imo, in the same league as retarded. 

44 minutes ago, The One Above All said:

Interesting reading and I do agree with you that retarded is considered more offensive today, but it is a very hypocritical thing. You are wrong to think that the words stupid and retarded refer to different contexts. Both words, indeed, were born to mock people with lower mental capabilities. Both words were born as offensive and denigrating towards people with mental issues. However, as your post explained, during the years the word stupid became more colloquial and today is not considered that offensive anymore. But it is still a word that mocks intellectual capabilities. it is a extremely vile word imo, in the same league as retarded. 

No, that’s stupid. kylie1 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.