Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

lovechristina

Why was Christina slut shamed so much back in the early 2000s?

I'm a younger fan, I wasn't around to experience Christina's Stripped era but I was stunned when I read some past articles about her. It disgusted me, they called her a skeezy reptile, the cause of sex crimes, a slut, etc. They weren't even critiquing her, just blatantly bullying her, mostly it came from other women. 
Even her fellow peers were cruel to her. For eg: Amy Lee made an entire song (Everybody's fool) that was based off of her thinking Christina was nothing but a stripper who "sold her body". If she did that in today's climate she would be called out. 

Was it really that sexist back then? 

yes people went crazy when a woman Madonna, Xtina or Britney showed themself like they did.

GP couldnt take strong woman as LEAD in a music video beeing all  confident, sexy and powerful.

they were used to woman playing side chick roles on music videos of 50cent or usher as a sexuell object but not as a sexual lead. clap1

Her fashion was a little strange back then too and she definitely got made fun of for that.

I think she was also linked sexually to several men compared to Britney who, at the time, was solely linked to Justin Timberlake, which I think threw people a little off. 

There may have also been the idea that she has such a beautiful voice, she doesn't need to be super sexual and that her sexy image was coming off as desperate. I think critics wanted her to be more like a Whitney Houston or an early Mariah Carey (or like Adele) where she's just a super classy diva and not a Madonna type. 

To be fair, anytime a female artist goes more risque or sexual, they're always going to get heat for it. It happened to Madonna, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Miley Cyrus etc. 

Back then you had a lot of female vocalists who had more wholesome images like Mandy Moore or Jessica Simpson who were marketed as the "anti-sex appeal." Then you had artists like Pink and Avril Lavigne who were very against that as well. Also Britney and Christina both came from Disney, which I think made people hold them to different standard once they adapted a sexier image. It's kind of funny now, these days every popstar is on stage in a rhinestoned leotard. But tbh, though the women who go through sexy transformations in their careers may be shamed for it, they often last a lot longer than those who don't.

5 hours ago, The Ones That Entertain said:

Her fashion was a little strange back then too and she definitely got made fun of for that.

I think she was also linked sexually to several men compared to Britney who, at the time, was solely linked to Justin Timberlake, which I think threw people a little off. 

There may have also been the idea that she has such a beautiful voice, she doesn't need to be super sexual and that her sexy image was coming off as desperate. I think critics wanted her to be more like a Whitney Houston or an early Mariah Carey (or like Adele) where she's just a super classy diva and not a Madonna type. 

To be fair, anytime a female artist goes more risque or sexual, they're always going to get heat for it. It happened to Madonna, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson, Miley Cyrus etc. 

Yeah, I've noticed in the past that they slapped so many negative connotations whenever a woman's sexuality is concerned. Was it mostly in America? 

I'm glad that it's starting to change, Selena/Demi/Ariana have been almost universally praise for their adult transformation. 

11 minutes ago, TheRoxxtar said:

Back then you had a lot of female vocalists who had more wholesome images like Mandy Moore or Jessica Simpson who were marketed as the "anti-sex appeal." Then you had artists like Pink and Avril Lavigne who were very against that as well. Also Britney and Christina both came from Disney, which I think made people hold them to different standard once they adapted a sexier image. It's kind of funny now, these days every popstar is on stage in a rhinestoned leotard. But tbh, though the women who go through sexy transformations in their careers may be shamed for it, they often last a lot longer than those who don't.

Yeah, I guess seeing all the puritanical outrage directed only towards women was disgusting to read. Yeah, Ariana/Demi/Selena have transitioned into more mature images and they've gotten nothing but praise. They're much more mature than Avril, Pink, etc. It's funny that social-conservatives hated Christina the most, but now all their disgusting behaviour has been recently coming to light. 

9 hours ago, The Ones That Entertain said:

Amen 🙏 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.